Uworld frustrations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virajpatel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m near the completion (about 300 left) of uworld on 1st. I’m a dental student taking cbse in August for omfs. Very frustrated my scores a still kinda of scattered some day I’m getting 70s other times 50s and just now finished a block with 47%. I’m doing them random and test mode.

Anybody have recommendations on how I should proceed during the last month in terms of preparing. I want to go thru uworld and pathoma but don’t want to fall short of doing practice tests and questions. I hardly get to study during the week because we’re in school so most of the work happens on weekends.

Thank you all for feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

On random/timed it's inevitable that scores will fluctuate depending on your material knowledge. 63% 1st pass average is median score according to UW - and that includes those who take it on tutor mode, who use books, use pause, google etc. So imho real median score is somewhere at 50% probably.

Also, UW percentage isn't best predictor, simply because it's a learning tool - even if you get half of it wrong (blocks with 50% score), but you read all explanations and learn it - that means you already improved your knowledge and you are not at 50% anymore. All UW average gives you - is how good you were prepared during 1st pass. It doesn't take into account that your knowledge is improving after each block. So essentially after 1st pass you should accumulate knowledge that is factually higher than what your average 1st pass score represents.

Reactions: 1 user
Uworld is a learning tool, not an assessment device. Your Uworld scores don’t mean anything, in fact getting lower scores, feeling frustrated and then learning why you got those questions wrong in the first place will help you more.

My advice would be to go through the entire qbank a second time and really hammer home the concepts so that you are well versed for the examination.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know why people say uworld is a learning tool. It's paragraphs upon paragraphs of text and it would take thousands of hours to memorize. No, Uworld is used to put the pieces together. You can't seriously go into uworld without content knowledge and expect to learn everything. It's not efficient at all as a learning tool

I don't know why people say uworld is a learning tool. It's paragraphs upon paragraphs of text and it would take thousands of hours to memorize. No, Uworld is used to put the pieces together. You can't seriously go into uworld without content knowledge and expect to learn everything. It's not efficient at all as a learning tool
I agree. But we are saying same thing just differently. UW is a learning tool - and it puts it together too. And yes, I agree that to get most out of it - one should have some basic foundation before starting UW. This is why majority starts it just before dedicated. I know that some gunners start much earlier, but they have more knowledge to begin with. For me personally with my weak foundation starting UW somewhere like 6 months before the end of MS2 is a bad idea.
This is same reason why for some it takes painfully long to review 40Q (1 block) of UW - often like 6 hours - because with weak foundation you really spent time reading text for the first time, googling or looking up facts in FA etc. Unlike if you have a good foundation and went over FA at least once - then reviewing UW block goes much faster. I went from 6 hours to only 2 hours for blocks that I have good knowledge.
It doesn't matter essentially what you call it as long as it helps you to accumulate needed knowledge for test.