FS position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ries007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all I just want to thank everyone who posts and replies here. I obtain answers to many of my questions from this forum. I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't seem to find it.

Question:
My dream job as a physician is the FS position. Not through the residency program but through GMO because I only want to work this position while I'm young and single (as I've been advised to do) and then later start a residency in FP or Internal Medicine. I am a third year medical student and any application I may submit for residency or internship will not be very competitive (I have done pretty poor in medical school and barely passed step 1). What is the best way to get into the FS position, since I am required to complete PGY-1 intern year and transitional is so competitive? Thanks again for everything......

this post made possible due to my boring OB/GYN downtime (stupid babies won't come out) ;)

Members don't see this ad.

everything about this post made me laugh!!!! Shouldn't be too hard from what I hear.

glad to be of some assistance....I tend to have that effect on people :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant no offense by my previous post by the way. It was just really late and when I read your last line about the OB/GYN rotation it made me laugh. I remember when my wife was being induced how both the nurses and doctors had this look like can't we just hurry up and get this over with.

lol...dude, if you want to be a flight surgeon, you'll be a flight surgeon. Just don't put down that you want to go into FP or IM, because you'll get that. But generally, 95% of AF HPSP students can expect to do a flight surgeon tour before residency from now going forward.

so what kind of internship is the best for someone who just wants to go to FS at 6 months from the PGY-1 intership

preferably noncompetitive intership

thanks for the replies

From what I've heard, transitionals often work well since you can take elective months in ambulatory facilities (which is where you'll be working most of the time) versus pre-lim med/surgical years where you spend most of your time in hospital care, which you probably won't see much of as a flight surgeon. The difficulty is that transitional years tend to be highly competitive (derm, anesthesiology, radiology applicants go for the cusher internships) but I have heard that you can find a transitional program so long as you're willing to go anywhere. Not a great program mind you, but one that will fit your needs.

You could certainly do FP/IM/Transitional. If you are towards the bottom of the applicant pool you will probably end up in FP/IM anyway.

One thing I don't see is are you currently HPSP? And if so, which service?

I am Navy HPSP....

thanks for the reply

You probably would end up a flight surgeon whether you want to or not. Just tell them you want to go into flight med and it is pretty much a done deal. As stated above, inpatient hospital medicine isn't very useful for flight docs. Find a transitional or FP internship with a lot of clinic time. This will be the best preparation for FS. If I was still single I would enjoy it a lot more than I do. Expect a lot of deployments and time away from home. Good luck.