Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

FSU Biochem prereq?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by n618ft, Dec 24, 2008.

1. n618ft

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I want to send in my regular application to FSU this summer but I won't have biochem with lab completed until the following semester... UCF doesn't seem to have biochem available in the summer so it'll have to be done at a later date or elsewhere... anyone run into a similar problem? Do they even look at your app if you're missing a prereq?

2. hermit

hermit Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Your prereqs need to be done before you start medical school, not before you apply/interview/etc.

3. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What he said. I interviewed while taking it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pianola

pianola MS2
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a friend who was a biochemistry major but he hadn't taken the exact biochem course FSU required...his application was not considered (i.e. he was summarily rejected).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. n618ft

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

I think that's why I got a bit confused - I heard a similar story. I'm taking biochem w/ the lab UCF offers... non-degree grad... if they don't like it, screw them - they're not my top choice any way.

6. hermit

hermit Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I call BS. Hell, they even offered to wave the biochem lab req if I wanted to go there.

7. pianola

pianola MS2
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Uh, what I said was true. That's what my friend told me anyway.

And your story is not the same as my friend's. He hadn't taken any biochem whatsoever. He had taken courses like "bio-organic chemistry" and "advanced molecular chemistry" and his self-declared IDP major was "biochemistry". But he didn't take a biochemistry course per se.

So believe whatever you want to believe if it helps you sleep at night.

8. Shriken

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    If you're from UCF , you should know that UCF has an agreement with FSU whereas Biochem lab is waved because it is not a required class in the Molecular Biology track.

9. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    biochem reqs blow the big 1. I gotta take both orgo-asms before I can take it. Senior year is gunna suck!

10. swamprat

Physician Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i never even knew schools required biochemistry let alone the lab too. I thought it was like the calculus business... "strongly recommended"