FSU COM- Chances of getting into a surgical residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I know that many med students go into general surgery from FSU COM but how hard is it to get into a specialty such as thoracic surgery, neurosurgery, etc? Do they have high board passing rates that are necessary for a residency such as these?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey

I know that many med students go into general surgery from FSU COM but how hard is it to get into a specialty such as thoracic surgery, neurosurgery, etc? Do they have high board passing rates that are necessary for a residency such as these?
Thanks

I don't think there is a residency for thoracic surgery. I believe you do a general surgery residency, then a fellowship in thoracic surgery. Neurosurgery is a lot more competitive than general surgery. Just FYI.

Go into the General Residency or Surgery forums and read the FAQs there if you want more basic info on residencies or General Surgery.

As MedStudentWanna stated, Thoracic Surgery is not yet a residency - it's a fellowship, usually combined into Cardiothoracic Surgery.

As a general rule, do well in any med school (Step 1, grades, letters, research, etc.) and you'll have a good chance to match into any specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since FSU is a realtively new program, they've currently been graduating classes with sizes around 40-60 (currently they're accepting ~120 like any other school). In these recent graduating classes the majority of students end up in either Internal Medicine, FP, or general surgery; pretty much the same as most other schools. There have been applicants getting into Ophthalmology and ENT as well. I don't think a school's stats necessarilly gurantee or bar you from any chosen field. If you work hard, have solid board scores, good letters, research, etc. you can do whatever you like. Personally, I think the whole "If I'm not a neurosurgeon or heart surgeon I'll just die" attitude is a bit naive and immature (not to say this is your attitude necessarilly). If those specific fields are where you feel you'll be best used then by all means go for it. But I think the focus at this point should be on 1) getting into medical school 2) succeeding in medical school. and Most Importantly 3) providing the best care for patients regardless of your field.

Personally, I think the whole "If I'm not a neurosurgeon or heart surgeon I'll just die" attitude is a bit naive and immature (not to say this is your attitude necessarilly). If those specific fields are where you feel you'll be best used then by all means go for it. But I think the focus at this point should be on 1) getting into medical school 2) succeeding in medical school. and Most Importantly 3) providing the best care for patients regardless of your field.

Well said. :thumbup:

Well said. :thumbup:

I agree with Blade28 that Medguy83's post is well stated.

I think you can have a shot though there will be a big pushing down your throat primary care attitude from what Biscuit79 and a girl I knew who went to USF for undergrad has stated before.

That said, it doesn't mean it is impossible to get into a good residency coming out of there and people from FSU have gotten into general surgery, EM, anesthesiology, and other such fields coming out of FSU despite its push for more PCPs so it is definitely possible.

Keep in mind that when you are in med school you can do away rotations as your electives in 4th year to get a chance to get to interact with people in the field of interest and get some exposure and network. There is also the opportunity to possibly go elsewhere during the summer to do research if the research opportunities aren't what you are looking for and this can be done in the summer. I don't know if they have the option but I know at USF I've heard of stories where people took a year off to do research at NIH. I know that a girl at Umich also took a year off to do an MPH at Harvard. So if FSU lets you do something similar you can always do that to get some experience elsewhere in research and clinicals of more specialized fields.

In general, it shouldn't matter which med school you go to - be competitive enough of an applicant, and you'll have a shot any any residency you want.

In the end, successful med students will succeed and do well on Step 1 and in their rotations no matter where they go.

Of course it's nice if a certain school has a track record of setting a ton of students into a competitive residency (e.g. Derm), but you still have a lot of work to do regardless of any perceived school advantages.