FSU vs OUWB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayhelp

Reaction score
hi guys, I just heard back from FSU this morning and it has me in a tizzy for this April 30 deadline. im a florida native and my top choice for med school is UCF and i am in a favorable position on the WL although not guaranteed, and i hope to pursue psychiatr right now but i honestly don't know yet and dont want to be boxed in

OUWB
Pros
  • starting new in Michigan
  • Beaumont is an incredible hospital network, good opportunities for residency
  • really like the students there, and they wanted me from the get go (first acceptance back in nov)

Cons
  • moving far away from SO / family
  • COA is much greater (basically double)
  • not true pass/fail

FSU
Pros
  • close to family/ sig other
  • in state- cheap

Cons
  • primary care medicine focus- might not want to go into primary care
  • limited research opportunities
  • aims to keep students in florida- i don't think i want to live in florida forever
  • starts in the summer, and i am predicted to hear back from my top choice in late may so might have to move

Summary: theres honestly more reasons but these are the ones that are sticking out to me rn since neither is my top choice. did not expect myself to be in the position of being choosy lol

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Based on your signature and the fact you're considering OUWB while being on many waitlists, it looks like the two of us are in very similar positions!

First off, transitioning from Florida to Michigan is a huge change. I know one colleague who did it for her post-doc and she hated MI. Went back to FL as soon as she could. She was a pretty extreme case though and you may feel differently about the midwest. Nevertheless, having the support of your significant other/family and considerably lowering your debt burden by staying at FSU may be a better choice, and I am sure that many on this forum would say the same.

That all being said, I will likely be forgoing my own acceptance at a cheaper, public, rural/FM-based school for OU.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Based on your signature and the fact you're considering OUWB while being on many waitlists, it looks like the two of us are in very similar positions!
First off, transitioning from Florida to Michigan is a huge change. I know one colleague who did it for her post-doc and she hated MI. Went back to FL as soon as she could. She was a pretty extreme case though and you may feel differently about the midwest. Nevertheless, having the support of your significant other/family and considerably lowering your debt burden by staying at FSU may be a better choice, and I am sure that many on this forum would say the same.

That all being said, I will likely be forgoing my own acceptance at a cheaper, public, rural/FM-based school for OU.
honestly after posting this i realized the CTE for FSU is 4/30 which is way too soon for me considering i’m in a favorable position at my top choice so i may just throw my cards in and choose ouwb since i like it anyway if i don’t get into my top choice. thanks for the advice haha glad we’re both making similarly off putting choices