Creighton Phoenix vs OUWB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peninsula⛱️

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm grateful to have acceptances to Creighton PHX and OUWB, trying to figure out which school will be a better fit for me. Please let me know what you think! CoA is similar in both places, no financial aid offers yet.
Creighton Phoenix:
A) Pros -
- New campus, new facilities, 3rd year of students on campus
- many students from CA (I'm from northern CA)
- great mission fit, loved the service and community focus
- lots of family members in the Phoenix area - great support system
- loved my interview day, campus community and faculty seem so supportive
- no internal ranking.
- great associated hospitals - Barrow Neuro, St.Joes, Phoenix Childrens, etc.
- great research opportunities in my interest areas - neurology, peds.
- exams on Friday, weekends are open!
B) Cons-
- H/P/F grading
- no match history from students who did all four years at PHX.
- very few associated residency programs.
-phoenix can be very hot in the summer
- less established in general?

OUWB
A) Pros -
- great service and community focus as well
- moderate mission fit
- research integrated into the curriculum (EMBARK)
- Beaumont health system is excellent for clinical training - multiple residencies, fellowships etc.
- physician mentor and student wellness support through PRISM program
- I have some family nearby in Michigan
- great match list - 100% matching
- ophtho rotation required, sounds like a good opportunity.
B) Cons-
- the curriculum seems super packed - not sure about mandatory lectures, but in previous years attending lectures was mandatory for honors.
- H/P/F grading with MSPE ranking - this feels like a huge con.
- not familiar with harsh winter weather at all, so would have a difficult time adjusting to MI

Overall, I'm leaning towards Creighton because of the amazing interview day vibes, but still unsure because of the new campus and few residency programs associated.
I would appreciate any help and advice 🙏☺️

Members don't see this ad.

1. Mission Fit: Consider which school aligns better with your values and mission fit.
  2. Support System: Evaluate the strength of your support system in each location.
  3. Grading System: Assess your preference for grading systems (H/P/F vs. MSPE ranking).
  4. Location: Reflect on your comfort with the climate and surroundings of each location.
  5. Career Goals: Consider the associated hospitals, research opportunities, and match lists relevant to your career goals.
Ultimately, both schools have their strengths, and your choice may depend on personal preferences and priorities. If the fantastic interview day vibes at Creighton Phoenix resonate with you and align with your goals, that could be a significant factor in your decision. Additionally, reaching out to current students or recent graduates from both programs for insights could be valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.