full ride to hms or full ride to hbs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godfadda

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i am in middle school, and i am trying to decide between a full ride to harvard med or a full ride to harvard business school. on the one hand, i love hms, but on the other, i love hbs. this is a very important decision, so it would be great if people i don't know tell me what to do with my life

SERIOUSLY people go to the 2nd look weekends and ask people who actually know, not a bunch of people who can argue the intricacies of the us news rankings and not much else

Members don't see this ad.

godfadda said:
hi
i am in middle school, and i am trying to decide between a full ride to harvard med or a full ride to harvard business school. on the one hand, i love hms, but on the other, i love hbs. this is a very important decision, so it would be great if people i don't know tell me what to do with my life

SERIOUSLY people go to the 2nd look weekends and ask people who actually know, not a bunch of people who can argue the intricacies of the us news rankings and not much else

uhhhh middle school?

I am not sure how to answer this. You must be ridiculously smart because when i was in middle school I would play basketball with my friends and pretend I was Michael Jordan.

Members don't see this ad :)
guys, he's being sarcastic...

Reactions: 1 user
astrife said:
uhhhh middle school?

just trying to make a point
i'm not saying that all school A vs. school B threads are pointless...but 75% of the replies are worthless, i pretty much pay attention to only the posts by current students of either schools (m3/m4 >>> m1)

Go with the Supermodel. :)

too bad usnews doesn't rank business and medical schools together. it would make your decision so much easier.

godfadda said:
hi

Why are you worried about postgraduate school? Aren't you in middle school?
Those two are both very competitive programs specially when you include a full ride scholarship to them. If you are concerned about your future, for now, try to study hard in high school and study for your SATs early and do the same in college and participate in lots of relevant extracurricular activities. You have plenty of time to make a decision and don't force yourself to choose one so early. Have fun.

ivy91 said:
guys, he's being sarcastic...
The word "sarcasm" isn't in the dictionary anymore.

and even then, it's hard because the people you talk to obviously only go to that one school, and can really only speak to that one institution. Ultimately, the comparing part seems to be the individual's responsibility.

Unless you're coming from a top tier middle school you're just deluding yourself.
Word to the manilla on your paper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the time to read his response before you demonstrate your profound wisdom and deliver your sagely advice.

<sarcasm>
godfadda said:
hi
this is a very important decision, so it would be great if people i don't know tell me what to do with my life
</sarcasm>

For clarity.

pnasty said:
I am not sure how to answer this. You must be ridiculously smart because when i was in middle school I would play basketball with my friends and pretend I was Michael Jordan.

Can i have your autograph???

I'm waiting for US News rankings of MD/MBA programs to come out. That's when I'll choose my medical school.

It doesnt matter if you go to HMS or HBS because either way its still Harvard......

You should do both and also get a law degree at Harvard

No other school can compare with Harvard

godfadda said:
hi

try again
L7 L7

happydays said:
The word "sarcasm" isn't in the dictionary anymore.

neither is the word gullible.

polarbingbear said:
neither is the word gullible.
butthole is. lexicographers like buttholes. they even have a link to the pronunciation. some poor sap had to submit himself to a recording session to say "butthole".

godfadda said:
hi

Godfadda- Don't let the other posters' negative energy bring you down. Remember: It's never too early to get started planning for the future.
Especially if you decide on HMS, you need to start rounding out your resume within the next few years. Now is the time to volunteer (have you thought about starting a clinic for beached Bolivian whales?), join a lab/honor society, and shadow a doctor (maybe ask your pediatrician about this).

As high school approaches, you face important decisions that may dramatically affect the competitiveness of your med school application. Don't be afraid to ask for us for advice- We'd be more than happy to help!

BTW, do you know anyone who has gotten into HMS with a 3.0? I'm trying to assess my chances are for next year's application cycle.

Camel said:
Wow... some people responded seriously... Ummm.... no comment on that.

:laugh:

I sort of agree with the OP. The majority of those polls should really be titled, "Poll: Which school is ranked higher by US News.." or "Poll: Look at how smart I am" :laugh: I still love polls though

godfadda said:
hi

What? And deprive them of the opportunity to boast about how they got into more than one incredibly highly ranked, competetive school? Never!

Those posts irk me. I might've gotten into "better ranked" schools than the one I'm attending. I might not've. You'll never know! And it's all irrelevant because I'm happy where I am.

Back to studying neuro. . .

I think some interesting insight is given in these threads you speak of. Yeah, some/most of the posts are rather pointless, but some actually bring up interesting points and maybe get the OP to contrast the places in a way they have not before.

It's rather funny to start a thread that is really more pointless than those threads it is calling pointless.

if 1 person out there who was thinking about posting such a thread decides not to because of my thread, then my thread is no longer pointless and is instead a service to mankind

pssht calling my thread pointless
don't make me start a 'full ride to d.o. school vs. no money but hms' thread...

If you have to ask whether to go to medical or business, you need to go to business school. Obviously, your desire to practice medicine does not capture your whole heart.
If you're meant to go to medical school, you'll find all other paths lacking. Either way study hard and listen to your mother.

pnasty said:

I still pretend I'm like Mike....