Full Scholarship at State School...or pass...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you choose?

• Full ride at State School

Votes: 41 69.5%
  • Loans at very impressive Private School

Votes: 18 30.5%

• Total voters

klooless

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like its high school all over again...and I'm trying to make the right choice between a scholarship at an impressive State School and loans at a very impressive non-State school.

opinions please...

Members don't see this ad.

Well you have to specify what schools they are!

If the state school is U Michigan, U of Washington, UVA, or one of the UC's, good for you!!

Stonybrook vs. Cornell, Hopkins or even UCLA (in-state)

(If money were not a factor, I'd probably choose UCLA or Cornell).

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by klooless

Is Stonybrook or UCLA that is offering you the scholarship?

If It's UCLA, I'll pick it over Stonybrook unless you really love New York.

Originally posted by klooless

How did Stony Brook notify you of a full scholarship? was this after you filled out fafsa ?

klooless, congrats on having such great options!!

First, what are your goals?

If you are interested in academic medicine/research or a highly competitive specialty, then go for Hopkins, Cornell or UCLA. If not, then go for Stony Brook or UCLA.

Where do you want to match? If you want to match in Cali, then might want to go with UCLA or Hopkins.

Also how important is debt to you?

Originally posted by bigbaubdi
klooless, congrats on having such great options!!

First, what are your goals?

If you are interested in academic medicine/research or a highly competitive specialty, then go for Hopkins, Cornell or UCLA. If not, then go for Stony Brook or UCLA.

Where do you want to match? If you want to match in Cali, then might want to go with UCLA or Hopkins.

Also how important is debt to you?

Let me add:

Stony Brook is no 7 when it comes to no. of it's students going into academic medicine.

Originally posted by Kashue
Let me add:

Stony Brook is no 7 when it comes to no. of it's students going into academic medicine.

Really? Where did you get this information from? I would definitely be interested in knowing which schools produce the most academic physicians.

How did Stony Brook notify you of a full scholarship? was this after you filled out fafsa ?

Stonybrook called me to notify me. No financial aid app filed.

I am interested in academic medicine/teaching as my hopes now stand. I am also interested in returning home one day (Los Angeles).

I have no particular affinity for New York, but I do think areas on Long Island are absolutely beautiful.

Originally posted by bigbaubdi
Really? Where did you get this information from? I would definitely be interested in knowing which schools produce the most academic physicians.

woops, I got them mixed up. Downstate is no. 7 at producing academic physicians:

http://www.downstate.edu/sunyintro/default.html

Stony brook is no. 11 according to the information they gave us in their information packet.

woops, I got them mixed up. Downstate is no. 7 at producing academic physicians:

http://www.downstate.edu/sunyintro/default.html

Stony brook is no. 11 according to the information they gave us in their information packet.

I'm curious about these rankings. I didn't find them after searching through their website. What methodology was employed to determine which schools were best at producing academic physicians?

How impressive to you is each school? How easily can you afford the more impressive private school? These would vary with each person.

I would probably tend to lean a little towards the state school, especially if it's a full ride. If it's only the typically lower tuition that state schools have, it would be a harder decision, and one that I will be making soon as well.

You may want to try this: Call the other two schools to see what kind of a package they can put together for you. Tell them you have a scholarship at a school, but are really interested in attending X University but due to financial reasons it may not be possible.

I've heard about schools matching scholarships or at least narrow the gap a bit. Honestly, you do not have anything to lose when you ask them, they shouldnt take away your acceptance--it is strictly business.

Congratulations dude!!! Those are some awsome schools, best of luck!!