Full state license as a fellow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

L2932

Reaction score
Are there any pros/cons to having a full license vs a training license as a fellow? So far this is pretty much my understanding:

Pros:
can moonlight

Cons:
full license costs more

Are there any implications for malpractice/legal risk you are taking on as a fellow with a "full license"?

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any pros/cons to having a full license vs a training license as a fellow? So far this is pretty much my understanding:

Pros:
can moonlight

Cons:
full license costs more

Are there any implications for malpractice/legal risk you are taking on as a fellow with a "full license"?
No

Nope. You’re still protected as a trainee in your fellowship work regardless of the type of license you have.

In my state, the limited license costs half what the full license does. But only lasts half as long. So the cost is the same either way.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Really state dependent. Some states will have you apply for a full license after x years of training, it can be 1, it can be 3+. Some states may not have that limit.

I’ve ran into “some” problems when I was apply for licenses to a few different states recently. One of the state wants “every single” malpractice insurance carriers after you’ve obtained your first “full” license. Another state couldn’t careless, but wants you to list “every single job as an attending” that you’ve ever held. Paraphrasing.

Thank goodness most of the state boards now take fcvs. So at least most of your academic stuff will be verified in one shot rather than you have to chase down every single one of your credentials from primary sources. I did have one hospital that asked for my college diploma. I graduated from college more than 15 years ago..... it was ridiculous in my mind, but if you want to work for them, they set the rules.

My point is, if it’s a state that you may potentially work for a while, just get the license now. You will have less papers to chase down and you can moonlight (earn extra money). Just make sure you understand the malpractice coverage they offer. Don’t get sucked into some stupid non-compete.

Pro: you can prescribe outside the scope of your training program.

Con: people who know you have a full license will ask you to prescribe for them.

Reactions: 1 user