Full time job and studying for DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CA DDS 2b

Eternal Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a dilemma: I need to start working ASAP and found a great job that starts next month. I registered for the DAT September 1. I'm just about to finish Kaplan in few days. I haven't work in a while and I really REALLY NEED the money, so bad that if I get invited to interviews I won't have the money to fly! I have been studying for few weeks, and don't feel ready to take the test yet. Anyways, with the job market and having an offer soon, I'd hate to see this opportunity go because I needed few more weeks of studying---well studying for a very important test that is. I'm very worried about my score been affected, and also not having money for anything in the fall. I don't think is a good idea to ask the new employer (a big school) to start the job 2 weeks later, so that I at least study and work for 2 weeks before the test. I don't know what to do!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a dilemma: I need to start working ASAP and found a great job that starts next month. I registered for the DAT September 1. I'm just about to finish Kaplan in few days. I haven't work in a while and I really REALLY NEED the money, so bad that if I get invited to interviews I won't have the money to fly! I have been studying for few weeks, and don't feel ready to take the test yet. Anyways, with the job market and having an offer soon, I'd hate to see this opportunity go because I needed few more weeks of studying---well studying for a very important test that is. I'm very worried about my score been affected, and also not having money for anything in the fall. I don't think is a good idea to ask the new employer (a big school) to start the job 2 weeks later, so that I at least study and work for 2 weeks before the test. I don't know what to do!

Hmmmm. You wouldn't be able to take the test if you can't feed yourself either. So, with this job market, I suggest you stick with the job. Maybe they can work around your schedule a little, so you'd have enough time to study for the next couple of weeks.
But whether you should turn down their offer or not shouldn't even be a question, yet alone a dilemma. You need the money and they want to pay you. So, the obvious choice is to take the job.
Whether that would affect your DAT score or not really depends on your schedule and how hard you'd be willing to study.

Good Luck:thumbup:

You are 100% right! My biggest stress is not scoring high on the test. I had other interviews for jobs that start end of August. I know people go through a lot more and still get good scores. I'm starting a masters in September, and that's why I'm also stressed out about having to change the DAT, which will be super late to take, but at this point the score is more important....not to mention, taking 2 master classes all at the same time...with family and all!

You are 100% right! My biggest stress is not scoring high on the test. I had other interviews for jobs that start end of August. I know people go through a lot more and still get good scores. I'm starting a masters in September, and that's why I'm also stressed out about having to change the DAT, which will be super late to take, but at this point the score is more important....not to mention, taking 2 master classes all at the same time...with family and all!
Here's the thing...
I gave up my job to study for the DAT. Result:
I did fairly well on the exam.
Downside:
I can't find a job. Thankfully, however, I'm making some money by tutoring people for the DAT. But if I could do it all over again, I would have never given up my job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no! Thank you for your advise. I wish you the best looking for another one. It's hard, but keep looking. I'm finding many through non-profit organizations.

I am kinda in the same shoes. I am doing full-time research for my MS that I'm starting in fall and trying to prepare for DAT. I was registered for this Tue but I wasn't ready and postponed. I am basically in the lab 9-5 and then studying till like 3 AM. One thing is forsure, you will become less efficient at both studying and working. So it will (obviously) take you longer than it would if you weren't working, but one thing that I think is affecting me right now is that I'm also very tired all day. So I'm less efficient in my research (have fallen sleep in lab a couple of times lol) and studying.

It just comes down to how bad you need the money too. If you can't pay for rent, then well you don't really have an option lol. One thing you could consider is putting a lot of money on your credit cards though. That's what I'm doing for now with all the dental app expenses.

I worked full-time while studying for the DAT too. It's hard but manageable. You just have to figure out a system that works for you. I snuck in study time every chance I got...i.e. waiting for the bus, sitting on the bus, walking to work, lunch break, etc. With this economy you should be glad you're able to find a job. Good luck!