full time job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izzy34

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone's in my boat. I'm starting a full time job and I don't have the free time to spend all day on secondaries. It's pretty much weekends only. I'm so stressed out though because I get so guilty for not sending them out. Also, does anyone know if med schools offer weekend interviews? Are all of you free from work?? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a full-timer with a solid 1.5 hour commute. You'll get them done - just work when you can, one at a time. I don't think it's late to get secondaries out. Don't get discouraged by the interview posts and by people who sent in their secondaries two months ago. Good luck! :)

I'm right there with you, Izzy. I'm working full-time, and trying to hunt for a new job at the same time. (Need more money for application/interview costs.) I have a box of secondaries that make me stressed out every time I look at them. I get about one or two finished a week.

I'm not sure if this is any comfort to you, but at least you're not alone. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, totally!

I'm 40-45 hours a week, plus took a summer class. Just finished my 6th secondary and sent it off today, but got the seventh in the mail yesterday. Some I managed to send out in a few days, but most took a week (and Pritzker took 6 weeks...oops). Anyway, just do what you can, like an essay a night. Don't worry about being behind. the people on this board are waaaayyy ahead of most. I now know only two people (personally) besides me who have even completed their application to AMCAS!

Oops...and school starts on tuesday!

Yup, I definitely know what you're all talking about, I work fulltime and also have the secondaries piling up. So far I think just tackling them one at a time, making a little progress each night seems to be the best way, although this week using a typewriter has been a major pain. Depending on what kind of work you do, you might be able to take a look at some secondaries and just start on essays at lunch, free time etc.

Pritzker...eh I'm keep pushing that one back haha. We need more secondaries like UPenn. Gluck yall and hang in there.

I feel positively guilty because my mind is not at work half the time because I'm so stressed out about applying. I guess you just have to make a boundary for yourself - you won't take on that extra project because you know you won't be able to devote yourself fully to it, that sort of thing.

btw if you're looking into second jobs, think of teaching for a test prep center if your scores quality (generally about 90%), for MCAT or SAT or whatever. They pay relatively well.

I also feel your pain. I work 45-50 hours a week. The only way that I have been able to get my secondaries out is to balance my time and remember that every little bit of time counts. My advice is to make your self sit down at night for an hour (no matter how hard it is) and then do whatever you can in that time. Those hours will add up quickly. Also, concentrate on one application at a time - that way you aren't distracted. Give each app you have a priority and then do them in that order. This really worked for me. I finished my 17th secondary on Monday. I only have two more to go and I am just waiting on the schools to send those. And, finally, don't worry about how far others are in the process or what they have been doing...everyone has a unique situation, so just do your best and relax. Good Luck!

I also work full-time (have been since I graduated last year). Last week, after feeling a little down for not having a 30-second turnaround time on my secondaries, I decided to take a "sick" day! I got a ton of stuff done and had a little bit more time to relax on the weekend... :D

Sacrament, I wouldn't feel guilty about it at all. I'm job hunting now with full intent to stay just less than a year (unless I'm not accepted to med school, but I'm not thinking about that now.) I figure that I've been laid off before by a company that I was at less than a year. This new job would not hesitate to fire me or downsize me if it was beneficial for them. So I'm just not mentioning my future plans.

Also, remember that any company that hires you is "using you just for your work". They pay you for a reason. They expect that even though you may like what you do, you probably wouldn't do it for free.

Good luck.

Full time here too...
I am so tired at the end of the day I just go home and go to sleep..wake up around 9pm and then try to figure out what to do..then fall asleep again...oh well....secondaries have to take a backseat for a while :)

Yeah, I'm writing my thesis and completing my research. A friend of mine (who's a 2nd year in MD school) advised me to prioritize my apps. Turn in the school you're shooting to get into first, then work on the others as time allows. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's got an ulcer over this stuff!