Should I quit my full-time research job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arabelias

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

2020 graduate here currently working full-time as a Research Coordinator (and Research Assistant beforehand) for almost 2.5 years. I'm wondering, should I quit my current job and work as an entry level Medical Assistant?

I really like the staff of my current job, and it has provided a lot of research and leadership experience, in which I was able to be a co-author on 5 pubs, present a poster abstract at a national conference, and coordinate an educational program for a geriatrics fellowship program. However, I did apply this cycle, and did get one II from my state school in December, which I haven't heard back from yet, but am otherwise assuming I won't be receiving further interviews this cycle. I've listed my stats at the bottom of this post, but I understand my outcome is likely attributed to the low clinical hours.

If I do take a job as a medical assistant, I would plan to move back in with my family as I would be taking a $10,000 salary cut by making the switch, but given that I already visit them every other weekend (moved an hour away for this job), I might have more free time to volunteer as well.

Am I approaching this reasonably? Am I being too drastic at this stage, or is there an option I haven't considered?

Stats + Background Info:
  • 3.7 cGPA, 3.62 sGPA
  • Took MCAT 2x (504 in May 2021 --> 512 in April 2022)
  • 29 MD apps (1 II / 14 Rs / 1 Deferral / 13 pending)
  • MA resident
  • Middle Eastern & LGBTQ+
  • Graduated from UMass Amherst
  • 5,000 Research hours from my current job related to Health Systems Science
  • 5 co-author pubs, 1st author on a poster abstract at a national conference & mid-author on abstract presented at an international conference
  • 100 hours of clinical volunteering at a VA hospital
  • 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering (red-cross blood drives + soup kitchen)
  • 800 hours in Res-life (reinforces my interest in diversity)
  • 700 hours of leadership from student clubs + supervision responsibilities at my job
  • Due to my personal background (coming from a lower-income immigrant family and struggling with understanding a complex healthcare system), I have an interest in primary care because I want to become a physician who is able to provide quality care to a diverse population while also being cognizant of the challenges that come from navigating the healthcare system.

Members don't see this ad.

Your clinical hours are minimal . Your nonclinical are low too. You need to really beef those areas up. I don’t see any shadowing . You need 50 hours including some with a primary care doctor. You have so many hours from your research job I’m not surprised your other expected areas are so low.

The above advice by candbgirl is on point and you should also refer back to what was discussed in your WAMC thread:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The above advice by candbgirl is on point and you should also refer back to what was discussed in your WAMC thread:

Unfortunately, many of the clinics nearby as well as the academic hospital I’m near don’t allow non-medical/nursing students to shadow. I can keep trying, but it seems unlikely that I’ll be able to make headway on this without some connections.

I did turn down the MA job that I was offered at the advice of my advisor, who suggested that I wouldn’t be likely to get meaningful experience working in a dermatology clinic in a suburb. I instead got hired to work weekend/overnight shifts as a patient care tech in a geropsych ward near my current job.

With volunteering, I’ve been able to connect with a local church, and I’ll be able to volunteer a lot of hours in early June for their Middle-Eastern cultural festival, which should give me some headway.

I guess the biggest holdup is finding appropriate opportunities that will be flexible now that I’m 2/3 years out of college and will be able to provide benefits for health insurance coverage and such.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have time, sign up and network. Their next virtual conference is next month.

Make sure to check out NHSC and HPSP if you are really interested in primary care.

Reactions: 1 user