Full time jobs while taking premed classes in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 24 year old who is in the process of finding a full time 9-5 job. My issue with most full time jobs is that they are not flexible. Most of the classes I would like to take fall into the 9-5 time frame. I currently take some classes at Hunter College in NYC but I live in Brooklyn. What types of jobs do people have that allow them to attend classes during the day? Do people just work part time? If you don't work, how do you pay for classes? I was thinking of trying to tutor because that is the only job I could think of that would allow me to set my own hours and get paid decently. I'm doing the DIY post bacc route because it is more flexible and cheaper. I was listening to a med school podcast and the guest speaker, a doctor who is on the admissions panel of Washington University med as well as a premed advisor, recommended taking classes full time because med schools want to see that rigorous schedule if you need to improve your uGPA. I feel like that's easy if you have all the money in the world. I'm still trying to figure out what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as non-medical jobs, food service and retail will probably have evening availability. On the other hand, if you are at all considering medical jobs, CNAs and phlebotomists have low barriers to entry and pretty good hour flexibility.

So I worked FT while doing my post-bac and I did clinical research. It was a 9-5 job and then I would go to class and it was a great way to stave off debt during medical school and get the practical knowledge and experience that would be a good EC for med school. I would look for any research opps, tutoring, in addition to the excellent suggestion of CNA/phlebotomy work.

Also, I think it's more important that you get good grades by working and moving slowly through your DIY program instead of being a FT student and doing below average or poorly. And money is a big factor and so if you think having a job on the side is going to be beneficial for your financial health, then I say go ahead and do it and take 1-2 classes at a time. Lab classes are easy ways to do well while working. Also working may give you a better sense of what to expect and how to juggle long hours and lots of work at a time. So while I agree with the premed advisor, I don't think it's the only way to do things.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I worked FT while doing my post-bac and I did clinical research. It was a 9-5 job and then I would go to class and it was a great way to stave off debt during medical school and get the practical knowledge and experience that would be a good EC for med school. I would look for any research opps, tutoring, in addition to the excellent suggestion of CNA/phlebotomy work.

Also, I think it's more important that you get good grades by working and moving slowly through your DIY program instead of being a FT student and doing below average or poorly. And money is a big factor and so if you think having a job on the side is going to be beneficial for your financial health, then I say go ahead and do it and take 1-2 classes at a time. Lab classes are easy ways to do well while working. Also working may give you a better sense of what to expect and how to juggle long hours and lots of work at a time. So while I agree with the premed advisor, I don't think it's the only way to do things.

I also did research FT+ and took classes. I was luckily able to join a lab with a very understanding PI, so flexibility was no problem. Additionally, I took courses through the university, and didn't have to pay for them because they were covered for staff. I would highly recommend this route!

I agree with fireflygirl's suggestions, especially with regards to prioritizing your grades and taking additional time for classes, if necessary.

Good luck!

I work full time Thursday-Sunday nights. ICU RN. I understand thats not the norm, but as others have mentioned there is phlebotomy, pct.

Also id reccomend you look into becoming a telemetry tech. Watching monitors all night in a single room for patients. I work with ours who is a student nurse and is able to get a good chunk of studying done at night by multitasking.