full-time work/3/4 time school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avaAdore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

i hope this is the right forum to post my question...

i'm planning on taking 2 courses a quarter (8-10 units) during my post bacc. is this frowned upon by medical schools? i also have a kid so i don't know that i am capable of handling more for the time being...

any advice? thanks a million~ :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea how the quarter system works, so I don't know if that is a lot or not, but one of my interviews asked if I went to school part time and worked full time because it was generally harder for people who do this. I didn't, and I wouldn't confidently say it is bad, but it was brought up in my interview as a negative thing. But this in one DO school.

I honestly would try to at least be full-time if you really want to increase your chances in medical school (with good grades). I know it's very difficult. But so is medical school itself. I have the feeling that medical school is like having a full-time job and a full school load.

I work full-time overnights and I'm taking 16 credits. I also have a child. Prepare for sleepless nights. Just make sure you have a good support system. I really don't think you'll be able to keep up your grades without that.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone,

i hope this is the right forum to post my question...

i'm planning on taking 2 courses a quarter (8-10 units) during my post bacc. is this frowned upon by medical schools? i also have a kid so i don't know that i am capable of handling more for the time being...

any advice? thanks a million~ :)

I would agree with the above posters, with the caveat that you should shoot for A's. So if you feel that this is the most you can do, then do that. What you don't want to have happen is for your grades to slip, or for your work performance to suffer noticeably, or for your family to become uncooperative. If you are just starting out, I think this would be a good schedule. I would try to increase the course load as you go, if you prove to yourself and your family you can handle it. Best of luck!

Sho-

I am taking two courses, and working full-time. I've been doing so for two semesters, and will continue to do so for the duration of my time prior to matriculation (looking at another couple of years).

I'm out about 70-80 hours/week. It's rough. And exhausting. But, if the job is invaluable to you--and you're getting amazing experience--it's a burden worth bearing.

Also, be sure that you don't bite off more than you can conceivably chew. I was an athlete, a full-time student, a volunteer, a student leader, and a researcher in college. So, I'm equipped to handle a full schedule. If this isn't something you've experienced yet, best not to test the waters with your pre-reqs in the balance.

If this isn't something you've experienced yet, best not to test the waters with your pre-reqs in the balance.

+1 to that, and also to add:

Even if you are experienced with a full schedule like that (all through undergrad I worked full time while taking ~18 credit hours on average) but, like me, have been out of college for awhile, it is definitely in your best interest to take it slow at first. As others have said all over this forum, it is a marathon not a race, and aiming for a 4.0 is much more important than finishing a year early.

I'm a 32 y/o husband and father of two working upwards of 45 hours per week. I transferred in to a 4 year this semester with Junior credits.

I'm currently taking Bio 111 with lab / study hour and an algebra survey (to prep for calc / stats). This is the first semester of classes in over 6 years ... when I make the grade, I'll up my course-load to include another elective.. if I'm able to keep the 4.0 with three classes and 40+ at work, then I'll sub the elective with another Science plus Lab .. that'll put me at full-time status and I'll ride that wave until all my pre-reqs are done. I plan on spending the last year or so finishing electives and prepping for the MCAT.

If all goes well, I should be starting med school by 35 (34 if I can pimp it.. 36 if I get pimped). It really doesn't matter to me how fast I can get through.. it only matters that I get through.

and Hi!

I would agree with the above posters, with the caveat that you should shoot for A's. So if you feel that this is the most you can do, then do that. What you don't want to have happen is for your grades to slip, or for your work performance to suffer noticeably, or for your family to become uncooperative. If you are just starting out, I think this would be a good schedule. I would try to increase the course load as you go, if you prove to yourself and your family you can handle it. Best of luck!

Sho-
This is absolutely correct. If you take all your pre-req's half-time and get a 4.0, at interviews they may ask why you took a lighter course load. If you take them full time and get a 2.0, you will not get an interview. Take as many as you can but few enough that you are sure you can get good grades in all your classes. Good luck.

thank you everyone for your very valuable advice!

yup... single mom working full-time in structural biology research. couldn't be happier with my current job... but it is a job and requires a great deal of my time and brain power. :) i have a very limited support system. i'm going to assume for now, i'm all on my own.

i've been out of college now for 6.5 years so it would be safe to say i'd be rusty... and i'm quite nervous about starting up again.

i'll be sure to take it at a reasonable pace, i'll gage it for the first quarter or two... and see if i could up my game.

i'm becoming more and more aware that this is a marathon... to take it at a pace suitable to achieve better grades and to soon introduce extra curriculars into the picture (i'm assuming all of my volunteer/shadow work from undergrad won't count). and as thewilliams1 says, i'll matriculate when all is done and good... if i can pimp it, knowing i've done everything right (hopefully). :thumbup:

thank you all again!! :cool:

Sho-

omg love the quote in your signature LOL
:thumbup:

Your plan looks really good. Working your way up is probably the best plan. Just don't give up. Best of luck!

I'm definitely not trolling by asking this, but how in the world are people working full-time jobs AND taking 12+ hours a semester, PLUS doing volunteering/shadowing?

You guys must have some easy pure science teachers. I don't say that lightly. I'm working 40-50 hours a week and taking bio+lab and inorganic chem2+lab. My professors move at such breakneck speeds that I have to study for each class about 20 hours a week, about 6 per week for the labs. I'm estimating honestly, so that's (40/50) + 40 + 12 = 92-102. That leaves 76-66 hours for the week. 6 hours of sleep per day (assuming you don't sleep in on weekends) leaves 34 - 24. That time leaves me about 3-4 hours a day for hygiene, eating, travel (to/from work/school/home), exercise, friendship activities, etc..

I honestly don't understand, when people claim to be doing all of the above + 4 more hours + volunteering/shadowing, how they have the time. I can see replacing exercise and friendship activities in the above... but then which one are you skipping out on? Studying (peace out A's), hygiene (don't sit next to me in class or approach me at all), eating (can i haz ur food pills?), or travel (can i haz ur portal gun?)?

I'm definitely not trolling by asking this, but how in the world are people working full-time jobs AND taking 12+ hours a semester, PLUS doing volunteering/shadowing?

You guys must have some easy pure science teachers. I don't say that lightly. I'm working 40-50 hours a week and taking bio+lab and inorganic chem2+lab. My professors move at such breakneck speeds that I have to study for each class about 20 hours a week, about 6 per week for the labs. I'm estimating honestly, so that's (40/50) + 40 + 12 = 92-102. That leaves 76-66 hours for the week. 6 hours of sleep per day (assuming you don't sleep in on weekends) leaves 34 - 24. That time leaves me about 3-4 hours a day for hygiene, eating, travel (to/from work/school/home), exercise, friendship activities, etc..

I honestly don't understand, when people claim to be doing all of the above + 4 more hours + volunteering/shadowing, how they have the time. I can see replacing exercise and friendship activities in the above... but then which one are you skipping out on? Studying (peace out A's), hygiene (don't sit next to me in class or approach me at all), eating (can i haz ur food pills?), or travel (can i haz ur portal gun?)?

I find it interesting that you assume that because you need to spend hours each week on each class, that everyone else needs to as well. Also that everyone else has easy professors, while you are stuck with monsters. While involved in your own battle, it is easy to assume that you have it rougher than everyone else. Understand that everyone has their own issues. As for myself, biology was completed with a minimal amount of effort. Inorganic chemistry required significantly more, while Organic chemistry is requiring even more. There is a guy who is in both my biology 2 lecture, as well as orgo lecture. For him, it's the reverse. He studies hours for bio, yet orgo comes to him like second nature.

I don't think you are trolling. I think that you are just beginning this process and are trying to unfairly compare yourself with others. As your journey continues, you may find better studying techniques. Or you may improve your time management skills. I can tell you right now, I do not have time for volunteering. I have a family and cannot afford to "give away" what precious time I have. But I do make time for shadowing when I can. Also next semester, I will begin doing some research. I'm on a committee right now that is doing some extra orgo research and taking a trip to go to a conference where I will also do more research and get to meet some people in the field. I'm doing it more for meet and greet purposes. I also have five boys and am extremely active in their day to day events. This can be done. For me, I started off slowly, and gradually gained the confidence, study habits, work ethic, and sleep depravity to accomplish everything that I need to. Btw, I also have a 4.0.

Keep plugging away. Add a little at a time. Then at some point, you may look at yourself, analyze everything that your are doing, and wonder how there are enough hours in the day.... Then you will realize that you are wasting time... as I am now. Good luck!

OP, I think if you can show you're working hard (single parent and job definitely counts) having a lower credit load isn't going be a nail in the coffin lid. you might have to explain but you have a good reason.

lsu hopeful

I wouldn't assume it's people having 'easy pure science teachers'

Obviously different people have different aptitudes for the material. Some people breeze through chem and others trudge. Some choose to make other sacrifices with what they spend their time on. Some people might rotate their extra curricular activities. maybe school, research, clubs during the year, more volunteering, work, triathlon training or something during the summer.

Hours spent studying don't necessarily reflect how hard/well someone is studying either. One thing I've noticed in my going on 10 years of higher education is that even two people with the same intellectual ability can spend radically different amounts of time learning the material. It's a matter of efficiency, studying smart vs. studying long. I've done it both ways, amazing difference when you figure it out. It takes a bit of experimenting to figure it out but it is well worth it down the road.

I'll second what ShoTyme said, you build up to those schedules adding things one at a time as you learn to manage them. Next thing you know, you're one of "those" people who's doing all this stuff that doesn't seem possible.

I appreciate you guys' posts and I agree. Different people need different amounts of study time to learn new material.

By "easy pure science teachers", I mean ones that don't require you to do a ton of work to turn in. I'm not bragging or anything even close to that, but the material, itself, comes easy to me. I can do that in a few hours reading a chapter and taking notes, practicing a few things here and there. What I'm talking about is the sheer amount of brute hours involved with doing the homework we're given. It's nothing to do with aptitude, it's everything to do with hours of work. That's my comparison.

Along the same lines, the response from both of you was based on aptitude and had nothing to do with hard vs. easy teachers, which was the basis of my question. I suppose I could have described my definition of hard/easy teachers better, but both of you said I shouldn't assume, when you both assumed I was talking about aptitude and not volume of assigned turn-in work. You also seemed to assume I don't have good study habits, I just started this journey, etc.. :eek:

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just pointing out you guys took your own assumptions, based on your own experiences, and placed them into my question scenario, which they had nothing to do with in the first place, while, at the same time, telling me not to assume.

To keep this post positive, I do want to say I've seen tons of posts of people saying they're doing a lot less (working 20 hours, half-time classes at a CC, etc.), complaining about not being able to do the other stuff. I've been a regular responder to those types of posts because I do work 40-50 hours a week and still find time during easy semesters to shadow/volunteer and still make good grades. What I'm really addressing are the people saying they're working 40-50 hours a week, 12+ hours of classes, athletes, shadowing, volunteering, involved in Greek life, all of that. I literally don't see the hours that it's possible, without having incredibly easy classes/professors (and if they are, where are you going, cause I could use a couple easy semesters). :laugh:

Cheers.

Wanted to make this a separate post.

OP, I'm doing exactly what you're talking about and I've talked with multiple med school Deans of Admissions about their view of it. They all said pretty much the same thing. If you can go to work 8 hours a day, take classes, and study enough to make A's, you're working a med school schedule successfully, so that will look very good in your application.

I'm actually just taking 2 classes/labs per normal semester, not per quarter, so you're doing even better than I.

I appreciate you guys' posts and I agree. Different people need different amounts of study time to learn new material.

By "easy pure science teachers", I mean ones that don't require you to do a ton of work to turn in. I'm not bragging or anything even close to that, but the material, itself, comes easy to me. I can do that in a few hours reading a chapter and taking notes, practicing a few things here and there. What I'm talking about is the sheer amount of brute hours involved with doing the homework we're given. It's nothing to do with aptitude, it's everything to do with hours of work. That's my comparison.

Along the same lines, the response from both of you was based on aptitude and had nothing to do with hard vs. easy teachers, which was the basis of my question. I suppose I could have described my definition of hard/easy teachers better, but both of you said I shouldn't assume, when you both assumed I was talking about aptitude and not volume of assigned turn-in work. You also seemed to assume I don't have good study habits, I just started this journey, etc.. :eek:

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just pointing out you guys took your own assumptions, based on your own experiences, and placed them into my question scenario, which they had nothing to do with in the first place, while, at the same time, telling me not to assume.

To keep this post positive, I do want to say I've seen tons of posts of people saying they're doing a lot less (working 20 hours, half-time classes at a CC, etc.), complaining about not being able to do the other stuff. I've been a regular responder to those types of posts because I do work 40-50 hours a week and still find time during easy semesters to shadow/volunteer and still make good grades. What I'm really addressing are the people saying they're working 40-50 hours a week, 12+ hours of classes, athletes, shadowing, volunteering, involved in Greek life, all of that. I literally don't see the hours that it's possible, without having incredibly easy classes/professors (and if they are, where are you going, cause I could use a couple easy semesters). :laugh:

Cheers.

Some professors are easy, some are hard. Some require a ton of homework, some require none. Anytime I hear about hard teachers, I think it's more of a cop out than an actuality. Everyone has hard teachers; when I encounter one, I make it my mission to overcome. But in the end, it all tends to even out - the hard vs easy professors.

And I "assumed" you were referring to aptitude because your statement did not clarify the situation. That being the case, I in no way am inferring you are unable to grasp the material. My point was that some people take more time to process certain types of information. That is a fact. Also I "assume" you just started the journey because you mentioned the classes you were taking. Biology and inorganic chemistry are introductory classes. As you continue through your journey you will continue to refine your study skills. I know I am. I am better this semester than I was the last, which was better than the semester before. I certainly hope they improve even more by the time I reach medical school so I will be able to adequately absorb the amount of information given.

In conclusion, the answer given was based on the information provided. The output can only be as helpful as the input given. You also seem to be able to manage your time effectively per the end of your post so there shouldn't be a problem there. Each of us must make time sacrafices somewhere. Spending time studying, Greek life, athletics/working out, family, research, shadowing... yes something has to give at some point.

Very Respectfully,

Sho-

Lsu hopeful- I think you need to look at your time management and multitasking skills. I worked way more and took way more classes, some of which had the incredible volume of work you speak of and I did great. Some people can manage a lot of work and be fine. Whether you are talking about aptitude or workload, you are assuming you have it rougher. Yes, there are going to be sacrifices. Some days I went on 3 hours of sleep. Some assignments on heavy weeks I got Cs. I volunteered and shadowed on top of it, but the volunteering averaged 2 hours/week when it was more like one 4 hour block every few weeks. I spent little time with friends. But it all worked out and I got accepted. It can be done you just need to find your groove.

Your plan looks really good. Working your way up is probably the best plan. Just don't give up. Best of luck!

Thank you! I won't give up and best of luck to you as well! :)

OP, I think if you can show you're working hard (single parent and job definitely counts) having a lower credit load isn't going be a nail in the coffin lid. you might have to explain but you have a good reason.

Thank you for your input. Definitely plan on showing that I am working hard.

:)

Wanted to make this a separate post.

OP, I'm doing exactly what you're talking about and I've talked with multiple med school Deans of Admissions about their view of it. They all said pretty much the same thing. If you can go to work 8 hours a day, take classes, and study enough to make A's, you're working a med school schedule successfully, so that will look very good in your application.

I'm actually just taking 2 classes/labs per normal semester, not per quarter, so you're doing even better than I.
Wow thats good to hear, coming straight from the offices of multiple Deans of Admissions. Thanks so much for the insight. :)

Hopefully, like the rest of you, I can work my way to where you guys are now. I can see how it seems like a super-human schedule, but making sacrifices and adding on over the course of time... Truely seems to be a good way to getting to that status. You are all inspiring. :thumbup: