Full time work + Aug MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MT2MD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduate summa cum laude in 2009 with a degree in biology and medical technology. I have been working full time as a lab technologist in a hospital since 2009.

I was supposed to take the MCAT and apply for 2010 cycle, but because of a lack of resource, I needed to postpone a year to save up money to apply.

I was supposed to take the MCAT and apply in 2011, but last October my grandmother got sick and passed away. I have been working multiple shifts since then to try to help cover the cost of the funeral.

Things are finally settling down and I am scheduled for the Aug 23 MCAT, but with a full time (40hr/wk) job and only 3 months left, I have been trying to follow Snd2ed's plan but I am getting overwhelmed with the schedule. I am starting to doubt that I have enough time to cover everything.

I wish I could quit and focus on the MCAT but I need the job to pay rent. My mother is having financial trouble so I can't ask her for help.

I am really wondering if I should take the Jan 2012 MCAT instead and apply in 2012...

Members don't see this ad.

I would say yes. and get everything ready. work hard on the MCAT and ace it. Its too late for the 2011 cycle if you're writing in Aug and waiting for results until sept anyways. by the time you get your secondaries in, at the earliest you're looking at sept/oct (if you verified before hand) or even oct/nov which is at the end of the cycle.

I would wait until Jan to write but keep the studying and reading up. prepare your essays and get all of your ducks lined up to submit on june 1st, 2011 for the 2012 cycle.

Thanks, so I am probably going to apply in 2012 instead, but should I still take the Aug 23 MCAT and retake it if I don't do so well or just take it in Jan with more studying?

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a practice exam online. There should be a free one at aamcas.com, or else order one off their website and take it. If your score is a 36, go ahead and take it in August. If it's a 16, don't take it in August. If it's somewhere in between you'll be able to get a better idea of what you know and what you don't know and whether or not you can get to where you need to be in 3 months.

If you are going to apply in 2012 there is no rush to take it. Take a practice exam, use the results that to guide your content review and sit for the exam early 2012.