Full Time Work to Full Time Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

diamondice79

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has any of you non-trads, went from working full-time to being a full-time student.

I am a 26 yr old single mom, with a full-time job and a pre-schooler. Going to work full-time, and trying to do classes as night I thought would be pretty easy, but I feel like I am missing out on a lot.

For example pre-med prep groups, study sessions, research, time with my little one.

I don’t know what to do, I would love to go school full time, and maybe work a few hours a week or on the weekend, but I have mortgage, car notes, etc.

Has anyone successfully taken on the full-time student roll, and still take care of home.

Or do I just have to suck it up, and accept the fact that I have to be a mom first and a student second... Stick to my two classes a semester and missing out on any opportunities that other pre-meds have.... 😕
 
Sometimes in life there are priorities. I do not have a child and my fiance is in medical school. Therefore, I quit job to go back to school and live off of loans. If you want to live off of loans, you can do the full-time thing. But I would take it as mom first, student second. Being a non-trad gives you advantages of life experiences. You may not get all the pre-med experience but you don't need all of it. You've been caring for a patient for a while now 🙂 Everyone takes a different path in life, its what you make of that path that matters!
 
Some of us just can't quit jobs - Personnally I am 27, working full time and like you, I can only take 2 classes/sem (sometimes I get frustrated and wish I could go full time) - I have a SO and no children but quitting my job right now is not an option (plus they participate $5000 for classes /year).
You will get there eventually, we are all doing it! 😛

Good luck 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was working full-time and due to injury, lost my job. Had surgery two weeks after I got canned, and was in school full-time two weeks later (on crutches). I had a pre-schooler and a first-grader when I started, a husband, a house, two dogs. It *is* doable - but difficult. I did homework in the living room while watching my kids play. I helped my children with homework while I did my own. I did reading assignments while I stirred dinner and as my bedtime reading. I read in between classes, while eating lunch, etc. Granted, I was taking 21 credits a semester, so my load was a bit heavy.

The end result, it *is* possible - you have to be a master at managing your time. I didn't have day-care except while I was actually in classes, so my study time was after the kids went to bed (let's hear it for early bedtimes!). Good luck!
 
I went from full time job plus evening/weekend school to full time school. Not having the cash flow coming in certainly sucks. Try persuading the financial aid office that you've gone from a six figure salary to $0 and you're in need of financial aid and they give you this puzzled look. :laugh:

I like the extra time to study though. Hopefully one of these days I'm going to use it to do just that....ha ha
 
Y_Marker said:
I went from full time job plus evening/weekend school to full time school. Not having the cash flow coming in certainly sucks. Try persuading the financial aid office that you've gone from a six figure salary to $0 and you're in need of financial aid and they give you this puzzled look. :laugh:

I like the extra time to study though. Hopefully one of these days I'm going to use it to do just that....ha ha
I second that, but I had to file 2nd appeal to my schools financial aid to tell them I'm not making the money I used to.
 
Well it is nice to see others have done it. I guess for now I will stick with working and part-time school. To be honest I do ok not having that luxury until I run across a stumbling block and decide I cant do them both. But I guess I will have to turn down my research opportunity and go to work… Anyway 🙄
Congrats to everyone that has been successful and good luck to all those on their journey.
:luck: