Full time work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeAreOne213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my story. I've been a working nurse for about two years now ( LPN then RN). I recently have made the decision to go back to school and pursue medicine. I'm taking a chance here as I work fulltime to support myself (no kids, not married). Unfortunately, many of my classes I took prior to nursing school do not count towards going pre-med. So, I'll almost be starting from scratch other than the basic general education requirements (I only have an associates). I've struggled with math since I can remember but am going to bite the bullet and try my hardest to do well. My concern is having to work full time. Basically I'm just looking for some advice from someone who has done it (made it through undergrad while working, if you're bad at math that's a bonus!) and what your advice would b regarding studying/ balancing work and school. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I was not in the same boat as you, but I was working full time (40-60 hours a week depending on the research schedule), volunteering around 8 hours a week and shadowing physicians around 12 hours a week while trying to study for the MCAT. My main advice for you is to get a schedule down or routine, and try to stick with it as hard as you can. Also, be sure to keep some free time, a couple of hours a week, to relax and let loose. Its a tough adjustment in the beginning, but after some time, you get used to your routine and schedule. As for help regarding math, I had some issue with biochemistry, and I tried to meet with my professor often to ask him questions and get some advice. Maybe you can set-up meetings with your math professor directly after class perhaps as to not interfere with your work schedule, to get some extra tutoring advice. Hope that helps a little

I agree with above, but you also need to determine how bad you want it. I worked full time and you will find that sometimes and in some areas, the classes you need aren't offered at the most convenient time for your schedule. so instead of giving up my dream, i got a job working nights so i could go to school during the day. i would also sleep split shifts on some days if i needed to. this can be extreme and many don't have to do it, but the biggest tip i can give is to not let yourself get in the way of your dreams,

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked 40 hours a week and went to school full time also (12 credits a semester) I have a job that allows flex scheduling. Basically as long as I got 40 hours during the week they didn't care when I got them. It worked out for me, but I had no free time.....it is worth it to me because being a doctor is the only thing I've really ever wanted to do...but it does take some serious drive and determination to be able to work 40 hours, study for 3 or 4 classes and maintain a high GPA....good luck.

I also worked full time (medical/surgical assistant), went to school full time and have a family ( 3 kids and a husband). It was tough but doable if you have good support and time management skills. This means no messing around, taking good care of yourself and keeping the focus on your goals. There will be times where you feel discouraged. Don't listen to the doubts, just push through - step by little step you can make it.
I was not great at math either, mainly because I did not get a decent foundation in it while in primary school/high school. Rural area, terrible schools, was not a focused student either. What I found is that I actually love math and it was not as scary as it was when I was younger. Think of it as games with numbers and it makes the whole idea much easier. A good professor is such an asset.

I can help you out here! I graduated with a BA in psych in 2008 and began the pre-med sciences in 2010 and worked full time throughout the coursework and MCAT prep. I will tell you right off the bat that it really sucks about 75% of the time! I started off with Chem 1 the 1st semester (fall, 2010) to get my feet wet and then the following semester jumped in with Chem 2 and Physics 1 (spring, 2011), Bio 1 and 2 over the summer (summer, 2011), Physics 2, genetics, and biochem the next semester (fall, 2011), then orgo 1 next semester (spring 2012), and orgo 2 next summer (summer 2012). I then took a few more courses such as microbiology and immunology to supplemenet my pre-med sciences.

I took the MCAT september 2012 and did poorly (23O) with a kaplan review course but then re-took in July of this year and scored a 27.

If you are "bad" at math, I would strongly recommend doing some sort of comprehensive algebra and trig review prior to doing chem 2 and physics 1 and 2. I think you can skate by chem 1 with just the basic algebraic skills. I know there is an online program called ALEKS that may have some basic algebra and trig drills to get you going so maybe look into that.

As for working full-time and doing the courses, spread them out but try not to do just 1 course per semester. I did a few semesters of just one course but I know admissions committees like to see a heavier course load. Also, grab a calendar/planner/agenda and write out your work schedule, class schedule and assignment/test dates, life event dates, etc. Make sure you prioritize accordingly and have a set schedule. I think the set schedule is the most important part so you can map out when you can have some free time to do what you like.

Just know that it is difficult but do-able. Good luck!

So here's my story. I've been a working nurse for about two years now ( LPN then RN). I recently have made the decision to go back to school and pursue medicine. I'm taking a chance here as I work fulltime to support myself (no kids, not married). Unfortunately, many of my classes I took prior to nursing school do not count towards going pre-med. So, I'll almost be starting from scratch other than the basic general education requirements (I only have an associates). I've struggled with math since I can remember but am going to bite the bullet and try my hardest to do well. My concern is having to work full time. Basically I'm just looking for some advice from someone who has done it (made it through undergrad while working, if you're bad at math that's a bonus!) and what your advice would b regarding studying/ balancing work and school. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

I worked my way through undergrad, and I am also horrible at math! haha My suggestion is to either work part time (and pick up more hours during breaks and summer time) and take out some student loans if you need the cash buffer, OR to take a lighter load of classes and just allow yourself more time to finish school. I majorly burnt myself out doing work and school. The first year of college I worked full time, and had a very heavy course load. I just about killed myself. Granted I also had a few personal and family events happen that year. I wore myself so thin my immune system went out the door. I ended up with a raging case of mono that lasted a very, very long time, on top of catching every single cold that went around campus it seemed. My grades suffered. I ended up so burnt out. I was determined to finish in 4 years, and I was determined to not take out loans. After the first year I realized I wasn't going to be successful if I burnt myself out so badly every year. But I still had to support myself (rent, food, bla bla) AND pay for my own schooling. And I didn't have a fairly decent paying job like you, I was working a job paying $10/hr, in a town with very high cost of living and absurdly high rent costs. Finally I caved and cut work down to part time. I tool classes every summer and I worked full time during vacations, holidays, and summer break. I caved and took out some SMALL loans, and lived very frugally. My grades shot back up, I became a lot healthier, and I wasn't killing myself to keep up.

I'm not saying you can't do it. Who knows, if I hadn't of become so horribly sick and hadn't had a family emergency and hadn't been trying to do Calculus II without ANY trig background (long story, missed it in high school), then maybe I would not have burnt myself out so badly and could have continued working full time. I don't regret bumping downto part time though. Even that was challenging, and my grades were definitely lower than hey would have been if I wasn't working and had all the time in the world to study. I did to back up to full time my senior year of school, but I also had a lighter load by then as I had knocked out a lot of classes by taking summer courses.

As for math, I highly recommend a tutor. It was a huge hit to my pride. I was used to always excelling at school. Even in math I managed to get A's. To admit I needed help was very difficult for me. It really makes a difference though, it is very worth it.

Whatever you do I wish you luck. Be confident that you will succeed, and you will. :)

Worked full time for all of undergrad taking between 14 and 16 credits each semester (except summer I did half tum with 6-7 credits). Did this while volunteering, shadowing, and serving as president of the pre-soma club at my school. Couldn't have done it without the support of my wife. I usually left the house around 8am and got home just after 10pm M-F. It sucked, but paid off. Saturday was my day to catch up on any studying and Sunday was my day to go to church and be with family (I don't study on Sundays). Now, in med school I study 8-10 hours per day M-Saturday (I don't usually go to lecture) so this new schedule is a real break!
As a nurse you should be making a good amount of money more than I was at $14 an hour and I was feeding 3 mouths. If full time is too much, you should definitely be able to work part time like 24 hours a week (2x12's on weekends for example) and have plenty of money to live off. If that's not enough, you need to cut spending, like going out to eat = biggest waste of money ever. Good luck!

Worked full time for all of undergrad taking between 14 and 16 credits each semester (except summer I did half tum with 6-7 credits). Did this while volunteering, shadowing, and serving as president of the pre-soma club at my school. Couldn't have done it without the support of my wife. I usually left the house around 8am and got home just after 10pm M-F. It sucked, but paid off. Saturday was my day to catch up on any studying and Sunday was my day to go to church and be with family (I don't study on Sundays). Now, in med school I study 8-10 hours per day M-Saturday (I don't usually go to lecture) so this new schedule is a real break!
As a nurse you should be making a good amount of money more than I was at $14 an hour and I was feeding 3 mouths. If full time is too much, you should definitely be able to work part time like 24 hours a week (2x12's on weekends for example) and have plenty of money to live off. If that's not enough, you need to cut spending, like going out to eat = biggest waste of money ever. Good luck!
I'm fortunate enough to make a decent salary. I work three 12's on the night shift. Once I begin the heavier science/ math courses I could see my self working part time.