Full time work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalkaren

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone work full time while taking premed classes? If so, how many can you handle? I am thinking about taking Physics and Chem next semester, but I work 9-5 (but I do have a lot of downtime at work that I can squeeze studying into). I may quit my job halfway through if it's too demanding and find part time work. Is this totally unrealistic? Do most schools (I'll probably go to Hunter), even offer classes where the lectures and labs are all after 5:30 pm?

Members don't see this ad.

hi metalkaren,

i work full time, and it's definitely difficult...and don't let anybody else tell you otherwise. if you're a nontrad like me with former bad grades, you need straight As and there isn't much of a chance to screw up.

i can handle two classes...and i say that's about the going rate for most post-baccs i know that work full time. three, and you're pushing it. btw, my classes are at night, too. killer.

it's doable though, if you put your back into it. good luck and PM if you need more information!

aimsz88 said:
hi metalkaren,

i work full time, and it's definitely difficult...and don't let anybody else tell you otherwise. if you're a nontrad like me with former bad grades, you need straight As and there isn't much of a chance to screw up.

i can handle two classes...and i say that's about the going rate for most post-baccs i know that work full time. three, and you're pushing it. btw, my classes are at night, too. killer.

it's doable though, if you put your back into it. good luck and PM if you need more information!

Doing chem/physics right now while working 40hrs. The most difficult part is keeping up with all the readings/assignments in addition to trying to comprehend the material.

One thing you will have to know is that you will have NO social interaction outside of class and you will look forward to Friday, Saturday and Sunday just so you can read and solve problems.

It can be done, but as someone else said time management is key and if you have a lot of outside distractions it is near impossible to expect to do well, especially in physics because so much problem solving is involved to actually know the material. This typically comes with additional work not assigned, which you rarely have time to complete.

So, buckle down. Obviously the degree of difficulty differs with your math and problem solving ability. However, it is tough nonetheless.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do 30 hours at a hospital research lab as a clinical research assistant and Take Chem1 at Umass and Physiology at Harvard. Like the others said, IT IS HARD.

I also have two little boys and a wife, so that makes things at once easier and harder, but in all the work is difficult.

Ock

Sundarban1 said:
Doing chem/physics right now while working 40hrs. The most difficult part is keeping up with all the readings/assignments in addition to trying to comprehend the material.

One thing you will have to know is that you will have NO social interaction outside of class and you will look forward to Friday, Saturday and Sunday just so you can read and solve problems.

It can be done, but as someone else said time management is key and if you have a lot of outside distractions it is near impossible to expect to do well, especially in physics because so much problem solving is involved to actually know the material. This typically comes with additional work not assigned, which you rarely have time to complete.

So, buckle down. Obviously the degree of difficulty differs with your math and problem solving ability. However, it is tough nonetheless.

My senior year I was enrolled in 6 upper/graduate level economics classes per term and I tended bar to pay the bills.

I had oodles of cash because I never could go out to spend it.

I began my MD quest by taking math/stats classes I was scared of in undergrad. Currently I am taking Calc II and Differential Equations, as well as working a 9-5. Usually, I can take Saturdays off to watch college football. I am debating whether or not to start a post-bacc program this spring. I will have all the science core classes with labs to take. I feel your pain, as I am unsure whether or not I will be able to keep my job, or if I'm going to have to go back to full-time student status.

metalkaren said:
Does anyone work full time while taking premed classes? If so, how many can you handle? I am thinking about taking Physics and Chem next semester, but I work 9-5 (but I do have a lot of downtime at work that I can squeeze studying into). I may quit my job halfway through if it's too demanding and find part time work. Is this totally unrealistic? Do most schools (I'll probably go to Hunter), even offer classes where the lectures and labs are all after 5:30 pm?

I'm working full time, ~45 hrs/wk. I have to fight to keep it there too, my boss would much prefer to be getting the 50-60 he used to get out of me. I'm taking Bio and Chem this term at HES, this past summer I did physics I&II at UMass. It was stressful this summer because the classes are accelerated in the summer and there isn't a lot of room for error - dropping the ball for a week can really kill your chances for an A, but this fall is looking much more managable. How much you can handle is obviously pretty dependent on your abilities, but 2 is definitely the max for me. I have close to zero social life, and fantasize about being a full-time student, but finances won't allow that. On the upside, if I can get through this I feel pretty confident about med school.

Good luck, and don't worry, it's definitely doable, it just might take more time. :)

I worked full time(>45 hrs/wk.), did volunteer work, took classes...got into medical school (CCOM) did very well on both boards and am now in a rads residency. I can be done. BTW, I'm 38 (almost, in Jan). Have a 2 1/2 yo and another on the way. If you want it, then you'll figure out a way.