Fully online Psychology classes? (don't mind 1-2 exams by proctor)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to take Abnormal Psy and Developmental Psy. I looked at LSU but you need to mail the assignments rather than submit online (which I think would take forever just doing that). I am looking for an accredited U that offers those classes where I can submit online for about the same prices. I don't mind going once of twice to a Community College for a proctored exam. Anyone knows where I can take those online classes?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The University of Alaska System has really great distance classes (because there are so many communities in Alaska that you cannot even drive to during the winter!) and I was able to find one Abnormal Psych section and two Developmental Psych sections that are web-based for the Fall 2012 semester.

Abnormal: UAF-CDE (University of Alaska Fairbanks, Center for Distance Ed)
Course registration #: 76867

Developmental: UAS (University of Alaska Southeast, Sitka Campus)
Course registration #: 78966 or 78967

If you are interested I would recommend calling the UAF-CDE campus first and hopefully they could help you get started. Their # is 907.479.3444

The best part about the U of Alaska system is that even if you take classes from various campuses, when you request a transcript from them, you only have to get one. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
The University of Alaska System has really great distance classes (because there are so many communities in Alaska that you cannot even drive to during the winter!) and I was able to find one Abnormal Psych section and two Developmental Psych sections that are web-based for the Fall 2012 semester.

Abnormal: UAF-CDE (University of Alaska Fairbanks, Center for Distance Ed)
Course registration #: 76867

Developmental: UAS (University of Alaska Southeast, Sitka Campus)
Course registration #: 78966 or 78967

If you are interested I would recommend calling the UAF-CDE campus first and hopefully they could help you get started. Their # is 907.479.3444

The best part about the U of Alaska system is that even if you take classes from various campuses, when you request a transcript from them, you only have to get one. Hope this helps!

This is awesome! Thank you. I'll call tomorrow to find out.

I would recommend Ashford University. I did abnormal psych with them and there is no exams!! There is just papers and assignments, so it's really very easy. It is hard to find a school that will allow you to take just one of two classes. Most want you to do full degrees online.

Does NY not have a community college that offers online classes? CC's have been huge money savers for me, and I got accepted to 2 of the 3 schools I applied to (so I don't think attending a CC hurt me at all). I used to be a snot about community colleges but after taking classes in one I'm impressed and think it's the only way to go! I would suggest anyone needing prereqs or starting a bachelors to take their 100 and 200 level courses at a CC to save money... Unless you are having to look out of state, in which case the out of state tuition might make it no different (cost wise) than applying to a 4 year university's continuing ed program. Just my 2 cents. :)

Karine,

I took the courses through LSU, there is online submission for all the courses I took. Abnormal Psych, Dev. Psych and Gen. Psych.

I loved the courses. Psych was my undergrad and I was retaking them so that they were within 5 years. I bought all my books off Half.com and it helped keep my textbook cost really low. I opted for "fair condition" books for under 10 bucks for Dev. Psych and Gen Psych. Their condition was good overall.
Also I really liked all the professors I had. They were so nice, personable and easy to reach which is a plus for online courses. Finally LSU will send 2 transcripts free per day. Which is a HUGE plus! Oh and one more perk, I had to take my final quickly to get the grade to IUPUI and the professor had the test graded and a grade ready within a week. I just emailed him and he was able to do that for me.

Let me know if you have any questions. Hope this helps!

Mco- I am out f state so a community college ends up being anywhere between $300 and $700/ credit which is absolutely insane!!

Gymastau- I am going to call LSU because when I was singing for the class it said I will have to mail in my assignments. It might just have been for a specific class and they put it as disclaimer but I'm going to double check.

Karine,

I took the courses through LSU, there is online submission for all the courses I took. Abnormal Psych, Dev. Psych and Gen. Psych.

I loved the courses. Psych was my undergrad and I was retaking them so that they were within 5 years. I bought all my books off Half.com and it helped keep my textbook cost really low. I opted for "fair condition" books for under 10 bucks for Dev. Psych and Gen Psych. Their condition was good overall.
Also I really liked all the professors I had. They were so nice, personable and easy to reach which is a plus for online courses. Finally LSU will send 2 transcripts free per day. Which is a HUGE plus! Oh and one more perk, I had to take my final quickly to get the grade to IUPUI and the professor had the test graded and a grade ready within a week. I just emailed him and he was able to do that for me.

Let me know if you have any questions. Hope this helps!

Thanks! You were right- both my Pay classes are web enabled so I can submit assignments online. I just signed up for them!

Just in case anyone else has a similar query...

I took my remaining Psych prereq (Adult Development) online through the Harvard Extension School. This was not my first choice option (the other classes I took at Harvard were on-campus, but this particular class was only available to Extension School students online.) It was about $2100 I think. Maybe less since it was an online class - I'd have to check. Actually it might have been $1500 or so for undergraduate credit.

I was REALLY resistant to the online thing, but this was actually a very rich learning experience. The course is actually taught on campus through the Graduate School of Education but it is heavily-attended and so there is no room for anyone else. So, we watch the lectures online, and then have a TA (a PhD student in the Ed School - no different from the TAs for the on-campus class) facilitate online discussions. We submitted all papers and other assignments online, either posting to the discussion forum, or uploading documents. I found it pretty amazing that I ended up actually feeling like I knew the other students and the TA. I was also pleased by how capable the other students were. We had excellent discussions.

I think some online classes at HES do require you to come to the Harvard campus for proctored exams, but this class had several papers rather than exams, so it was 100% online.

CCC online- it is in Colorado and are part of a bunch of community colleges. It runs around $900. I am taking dev psych right now. They also have abnormal. Book is included in the price online.

No proctoring, bunch of essays.

I realize this is an old thread but in case anyone is interested, I have attached a recently updated list (as of 5/14/2014) of online Abnormal Psychology courses approved by the USC Division of Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy.

Attachments

• Online Abnormal Psychology Courses.pdf
    319.6 KB · Views: 47