PHD/DVM Funding Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Princess1243

Reaction score
Hello I am looking to apply to the combined DVM/PHD program in veterinary school and I was wondering how I can best tell which veterinary schools to apply to. For me location is important, my IS is UPenn but I do not like the city environment but they have full funding should I apply you think?

With the environment I am interested in the schools I am looking at for full funding in tuition assistance are Colorado State University, University of Georgia (which is it worth it to take the GRE and apply)? and Michigan State University.

And these are the schools with Half funding tuition assistance: NC State and Iowa State. Should I still consider these schools even though they half fund tuition?

With this being said, how can I tell which labs are producing the most publications and which schools are the most research funded oriented in vet med?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there are a few things you need to think about before any sort of tuition remission. Why do you want to do a dual program? What area of research are you interested in? Does the program you’re looking at have productive PIs in that area? What is the student experience like in those programs (you can get the answer to this by contacting the program and asking if they could put you in touch with some current and former students)? 8 years is a huge time commitment and while we say on here for DVM applicants that you can survive 4 years anywhere, IMO, that doesn’t necessarily apply for a PhD.

Why do a dual program vs doing a PhD after the DVM? (If your answer here is purely financial, I’d STRONGLY encourage you to reconsider)

Reactions: 1 users
What area of research are you interested in?
For example, for me, I knew I wanted to do translational cancer research, so it was important to me that I apply to programs with a med school (or even better, an NCI designated cancer center) so that I’d have the full range both of collaborative possibilities and also the graduate courses in human cancer/cell biology that weren’t offered in the vet school. I ended up doing my PhD in a basic science lab based in the med school and I was the weirdo vet person.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
NC state is very research focused and since it’s close to UNC chapel hill and duke there are a lot of research resource and collaboration. Also you can apply for IS residency after your second year in school.