fun genetics problem!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iCY

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, need a little help here. didnt really know where to post it hehe. i'm going for my bio exam in like 6 hours and i was going over some questions from pervious exams and i was hoping you could help me with one of them.

A cat displays the dominant phenotype of two separate traits: large ears and fluffy tail (recessive of those traits are small ears and hairless tail). You wish to know the genotype of this cat. Describe what menas you would use to determine the genotype of this cat and show the possible results of your cross.

my answer is to breed it with a homozygous recessive cat(eett) and check for the f1 offspring. which will either be all big ears w/ fluffy tail(EeTt) if the unkown kat was homozygous dominant(EETT), or it will result in 4 different phenotypes in the f1 offspring(EeTt,Eett,eetT,eett) if the unkown cat was heterozygous(EeTt)

hopefuly some ofyou still remember your bio lol. thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, need a little help here. didnt really know where to post it hehe. i'm going for my bio exam in like 6 hours and i was going over some questions from pervious exams and i was hoping you could help me with one of them.

A cat displays the dominant phenotype of two separate traits: large ears and fluffy tail (recessive of those traits are small ears and hairless tail). You wish to know the genotype of this cat. Describe what menas you would use to determine the genotype of this cat and show the possible results of your cross.

my answer is to breed it with a homozygous recessive cat(eett) and check for the f1 offspring. which will either be all big ears w/ fluffy tail(EeTt) if the unkown kat was homozygous dominant(EETT), or it will result in 4 different phenotypes in the f1 offspring(EeTt,Eett,eetT,eett) if the unkown cat was heterozygous(EeTt)

Do your own homework....

But have you ever heard of a test cross. Cross the Cat in questions with an eett.. you are on the right track.

Crossing homozygous recessive with your unknown cat and looking at the F1 generation sounds right to me as long as the genes responsible for the traits are assumed to be unlinked (although you could check that by looking at your ratio results).

Good luck on your test!

Members don't see this ad :)
its ice cube to the G