"Fun" Places to Away Rotate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Napoleon1801

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions? Any particular school in path that is particularly novel? Maybe one of those places that is cool to see, but not necessarily cool to reside at? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a good time on my rotation at UCSD. Lots of things to do (surf, lay around at Ocean Beach, drink myself stupid in the Gas Lamp and PB 4 nights per week) and the surg path rotation was set-up ok for med students (you can be involved as little or as much as you want). Weidner is friggin awesome at the 2 o'clock conferences, which is a huge plus.

Anyone have anything to say on the "big name" schools? Or are they all generically the same?

Maybe a chill place which normally doesnt have a ton of residents. Salk Institute/Scripps comes to mind, dont know if they have slots tho.

I'm rotating at BWH right now and it's amazing. I don't know what you're searching for with "fun" but the education I'm getting here is second to none from both name faculty and amazing residents. One on one sessions with authors of Robbins and leaders in many fields is not worth passing up for anything.

Yeah, at BWH, med students are there the whole day...they hang out at signouts and get a whole bunch of tutorials. This is different from my home institution (i.e., where I went to med school...I didn't do an away rotation) where the residents basically went to signout in the mornings and got to go home by noon everyday.

I'm rotating at BWH right now and it's amazing. I don't know what you're searching for with "fun" but the education I'm getting here is second to none from both name faculty and amazing residents. One on one sessions with authors of Robbins and leaders in many fields is not worth passing up for anything.

Well, by "fun", I mean the nerdy sort of fun. Like how cutting on cadavers or looking at formaldehyde soaked malformed babies is fun to a med student. :D

Well, by "fun", I mean the nerdy sort of fun. Like how cutting on cadavers or looking at formaldehyde soaked malformed babies is fun to a med student. :D

We are all about nerdy "fun" at MGH. Our AP services are all subspecialized, so you can tune your skills in a few areas of interest - a good follow-up to a general rotation at your home program if that's what you did. Plus the weather in Boston is nice in late summer / early fall, lots of good concerts on the weekends, Sox games etc. :)

At this rotation, the residents need numbers so I don't get to cut any cases myself but I have observed close to 15 this month alone.