fun question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rabidpanda13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everything in here is so serious I thought I'd post something different. How long has anyone gone in their college career (undergrad for premed, and both for med students) without caffeine? Any length of time from 2 minutes to 4 years?

Mine is almost 2 years and counting...

Members don't see this ad.

10 weeks. I shied away from caffeine during my first trimester, just because I am overly cautious and compulsive. Once I hit 12 weeks, I was back on red bull. But I really cut back (obviously), I had like 1 red bull per day instead of my usual 2 + a coffee at night...I used to live on caffeine, pregnancy taught me that I didnt need THAT much to keep myself going

I try to avoid caffeine in general, so that if there arises an occasion in which I need to pull an all-nighter, my body responds more strongly to the stimulus.

Members don't see this ad :)
i loooove caffeine but i try to stay away just before finals, so i can get an extra boost :D

I work part time at a coffee shop (a crappy version of a Starbucks) so I get free coffee all the time. It's probably terrible for my body...

I didn't drink it my Freshman Year, but since I've been drinking it I think the longest I've gone is three months. During the summers, when I have time to deal with it, I let myself detox from it. It hurts, and at first I was sleeping like 13-14 hours. The thing is, I often drink coffee because I enjoy coffee, rather than because I need it to stay away. I often have coffee at lunch time. I've also used coffee to supress hunger pangs.

I didn't drink it my Freshman Year, but since I've been drinking it I think the longest I've gone is three months. During the summers, when I have time to deal with it, I let myself detox from it. It hurts, and at first I was sleeping like 13-14 hours. The thing is, I often drink coffee because I enjoy coffee, rather than because I need it to stay away. I often have coffee at lunch time. I've also used coffee to supress hunger pangs.

decaf?

Everything in here is so serious I thought I'd post something different. How long has anyone gone in their college career (undergrad for premed, and both for med students) without caffeine? Any length of time from 2 minutes to 4 years?

that's bc everything "fun" gets moved to all-students. :p

Well hopefully I won't get moved. We can start a new trend.

I try to avoid caffeine in general, so that if there arises an occasion in which I need to pull an all-nighter, my body responds more strongly to the stimulus.

Same here. I never drink coffee and I'll have a Red Bull maybe 1x/month, if that much.

I get headaches without my daily cup of coffee...and by the way its an excellent source of antioxidants!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9105892/#storyContinued

The answer the question I probably have gone maybe a week or 2 in the last 4 years without coffee...more recently maybe 2 or 3 days? Ya I'm addicted

Members don't see this ad :)
i never drink coffee i hate

Never drank coffee until I started grad school.

Nowadays, it's a lot. I'm already on cup #3 for today...finals, ya know.

I've never met a doctor who doesn't drink coffee....it's all starting to make sense now....

I don't really feel the effects of caffeine, but I've never had coffee so...

Coke is as far as I've gone, and that' Coca-Cola. :D

as I'm sipping on a delicious americano right now, i think i can say that the longest i've gone without caffeine is probably a couple days, in the summer maybe.

i don't really consider myself to be addicted, but i looove diet coke and espresso. i think i could forgo it if i needed to, but i haven't really needed to.

i can work without caffiene and xanthine derivatives

excuse me i want ahelp

can any one tell me about staphylococcal toxic shock syndrome manifestations
i get aheadaches because of this topic and i will need caffiene coming soon

thanx

So this is kinda off topic..
But in at least 2 of my interviews, they talked about how much kids cld potentially save by avoiding the daily trip to starbucks. Now, if you're at Tufts, it wont make that much diff anyways even tho they hint to it, but in life in general you cld save a TON.
But ja, I dont really drink coffee..i'm yet to understand the hype..it does nothing to my body when I drink it.

So this is kinda off topic..
But in at least 2 of my interviews, they talked about how much kids cld potentially save by avoiding the daily trip to starbucks. Now, if you're at Tufts, it wont make that much diff anyways even tho they hint to it, but in life in general you cld save a TON.
But ja, I dont really drink coffee..i'm yet to understand the hype..it does nothing to my body when I drink it.

That's true! During an interview day, the financial aid representative talked at length about how students can save money, especially on things like coffee.

I was raised on coffee, not sure if I'm capable of quiting. I briefly took a several day break my junior year thinking I was going to quit for the MCAT. I quickly figured out that was silly, and jumped right back into my 6+ cup a day coffee habit.

I only drank water or sprite for about 6 months. Then I started back with caffeine...

At the present I haven't had caffeine in almost 3 weeks- I had emergency surgery and since it involves renal system I am not wanting to eat/drink anything that would not keep things flowing

Are you counting things like soda because I haven't given them up! Of course, I might have one a day.

I don't like coffee, and I never drink energy drinks.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I don't really drink coffee but I don't count the days between cokes either, so I have no idea how long.

Seriousness on SDN... you must have missed the thread on who is your SDN crush or what Halloween costume are you wearing. We are all about fun here. Good idea about a thread though, I would say I have gone maybe a total of 3 days without coffee. I have tried giving it up but finally decided that I am not a quitter... I never give up! Wondering if someday they will have caffeine patches for people like me??? I would invest in it. :laugh:

I'd say uh... 2 weeks? Maybe? I can't remember a time when that happened, but I'm sure as hell it wasn't longer than that.

Right on, the longest i've gone is 2 weeks. Although I do not drink it the day before any exam, it helps.

Its probably been 7 years or so since I've had caffeine

britney-starbucks.jpg

mmmmm...I love me some starbucks

Since 4th grade, unless it was the only liquid there. I don't even eat chocolate. So it has been about 12 years, it makes me act loopy whenever I have any of it, and gives me migraines.

The only time I really drink anything caffeinated is when I have iced tea. The only soda I really drink regularly is Sprite.

You talking about just coffee/red bull-type things? Chocolate has a good amount of caffeine also, as do many purchased foods.

You talking about just coffee/red bull-type things? Chocolate has a good amount of caffeine also, as do many purchased foods.

I was mainly thinking coffee/red bull/iced tea/soda.

in all honesty... less than 24 hours (in the last 2 years).

I am a mountain dew addict and I drink anywhere between 3-6 cans a day.

I probably went between 18-24 hours w/ out mt. dew after a very long sleep.

I don't like coffee. The only time that I ever drink is during finals. I think it helps me stay up and be alert. Otherwise, water and tea is my thing. No soda either.

Believe it or not, I've never resorted to caffeine in any format in order to study, not yet at least, and I've done my fair share of late night crammings. I think I can count on one hand the number of cups of coffee I've had in my lifetime thus far. I have to admit I love the smell of coffee though.

I began my coffee habit my last year of high school (I graduated early and was under a lot of stress/lotsa late night study sessions). At my worst, up to five huge thermoses a day (really shameful and bad I know).

That was like two years ago, and I've been a coffee addict ever since (though sometimes I go for tea, but never decaffeinated kind).

I do admire you non-caffeine drinking people though. My first new years resolution this year was to kick the habit. Three days later, I realized it wasn't going to work. Me - coffee= :scared:

Coffee has never touched my lips, and I've never eaten/drank anything for the sole purpose of getting the caffeine....

but hardly a day goes by when I haven't had tea or chocolate(of any kind) or soda(rare) or even cold medicine(extremely rare).

only use it so i dont crash as im a commuter

I never consume any caffeine, and I hope to go as long as I can in med school without any. I don't like coffee or tea, and I stay away from soft drinks for health purposes. It works for me.

You can always make coffee at home to avoid Starbucks prices. I have my routine 2.5 cups of coffee every morning before work. People really should stay away from those creamy blends Starbucks/Caribou/etc sell, as pictured above w/ Britney Spears sucking away at it. The vast majority of them pack around 800+ calories.

I actually never consumed caffeine in college for the purpose of staying up. (I suppose I ate chocolate or drank soda once a month or so... does that count?) I just started drinking about 1 cup of white or green tea in the mornings, which has pretty low caffeine. If I have too much, it actually upsets my stomach and gives me headaches... so I suppose I have to find an alternate way to stay awake :)