Functional Neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

copier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Forgive me if this is not the proper forum for this question. I lead a support group for survivors of brain injury and I recently received an email from a provider denoting themselves as a Functional neurologist. After scoping around on their website I learned that they are a chiropractor and that functional neuro is a new subset of chiropractic medicine. My background is in psychology with some training in Neuropsychology but I am not well versed in this functional neurology.

My question is whether this area is backed up with evidence for the associated treatment methods? Is it a viable specialty to recommend to the group members? Basically I would love to learn as much as I can about it and any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

In general chiropractors don't practice evidence-based medicine and their journals are very poor examples of the scientific method. What chiropractors are good at is marketing non-scientific techniques to make people confuse them with scientific ones. This is a great example. There are functional neurosurgeons who specialize in stereotactic surgery and other evidence based techniques, and there are neurologists who also practice science-based medicine. But conflate the names of those fields and use the result to name discredited 19th century pseudoscience taught by the medical equivalent of the University of Phoenix, and you have a powerful recipe for separating the mentally feeble from their wallets in a near Whole Foodsian fashion.

Reactions: 1 users
I do like cakes from Whole Foods though...