Funding for Research Year Out during Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm strongly considering taking a year out of medical school after second year and Step 1 to do research at my home institution.

Since I wouldn't really be enrolled in school at that point, I assume I'd be ineligible for federal loans in order to pay for living expenses.

I've heard of various people taking a year out during medical school for research, but how is the student usually supported? I don't have an enormous amount of research experience, so impossible-to-get grants are probably not an option.

Anyone have any experience in this matter? I have none so I seek advice.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

this doesn't really help you since you addressed it in your op but my friend is taking a year off between 3rd and 4th year supported by an hhmi grant
besides that kind of grant, i haven't heard of anyone taking time off except for medical leave

Hi everyone,

So I'm strongly considering taking a year out of medical school after second year and Step 1 to do research at my home institution.

Since I wouldn't really be enrolled in school at that point, I assume I'd be ineligible for federal loans in order to pay for living expenses.

I've heard of various people taking a year out during medical school for research, but how is the student usually supported? I don't have an enormous amount of research experience, so impossible-to-get grants are probably not an option.

Thanks.

People do it through funded programs. Your school might have one, ask around. There are also various national ones (like HHMI) that are funded, as well as ones through the government (like via the CDC) that are funded via a combination of government money & private donations from industry.

I really wouldn't recommend taking a year off to research if it's not funded. Someone should be able to fund you off their grants. But honestly taking a year off is incredibly dumb, if you want to do research do it after fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Thanks.

OP, this has been discussed extensively in the past; please do a search

Of the national, funded research years, you could do the HHMI at your home institution, but the CDC, Fogarty, Sarnoff, Doris Duke, Fulbright, HHMI--Janelia, and NIH-MRSP would be done at a different institution.

Is there a reason why you want to do research and why you want to do it at your home institution? Is there a reason why you want to do it after your second year? (this issue has also been discussed extensively in the past)

OP, this has been discussed extensively in the past; please do a search

No, this particular question I have has not been addressed in the past in threads that came up after a search. I didn't see any threads about anyone who didn't know anything about sources of funding for a year out. Some grants were discussed, but no one really said whether a grant was really absolutely necessary for a year out. And if you're going to whine about me not having done a search, why bother trying to answer the question in the first place?

Is there a reason why you want to do research and why you want to do it at your home institution? Is there a reason why you want to do it after your second year? (this issue has also been discussed extensively in the past)

I didn't ask for advice about whether I should take a year off, so if you're just going to give unwanted advice, don't bother posting on this thread.

But honestly taking a year off is incredibly dumb, if you want to do research do it after fellowship.

My understanding is that these are mostly reserved for people who plan a career in basic science research. This won't work with my situation as it will commit me to a PhD's salary with an MD's debt. I don't think it's really an option.

Of the national, funded research years, you could do the HHMI at your home institution, but the CDC, Fogarty, Sarnoff, Doris Duke, Fulbright, HHMI--Janelia, and NIH-MRSP would be done at a different institution.

Thanks for the info, will be useful later on...

Last edited:
No, this particular question I have has not been addressed in the past in threads that came up after a search. I didn't see any threads about anyone who didn't know anything about sources of funding for a year out. Some grants were discussed, but no one really said whether a grant was really absolutely necessary for a year out. And if you're going to whine about me not having done a search, why bother trying to answer the question in the first place?

I didn't ask for advice about whether I should take a year off, so if you're just going to give unwanted advice, don't bother posting on this thread.

My understanding is that these are mostly reserved for people who plan a career in basic science research. This won't work with my situation as it will commit me to a PhD's salary with an MD's debt. I don't think it's really an option.

Thanks for the info, will be useful later on...

Someone is a grumpy Gus

The reason I asked is because SDN has many posters who can offer advice, and the more specific you are, the more people can help you. Additionally, many people read these threads, and they can be wealth of information for other people, too

Two points I should clarify. First, you mention that you do not have any previous research experience, but many of the formal research year programs don't require previous research experience (although it does help). None of the programs enumerated above have an application fee, so it doesn't hurt to apply to as many as you can. Second, for the HHMI-MRFP, they're fairly particular about who you select as your PI. Although you are allowed to select any lab, and although the PI does not have to be an HHMI-funded investigator, it does help. If you do select someone who is not an HHMI-investigator, then they should at least be in the same league, i.e. they need to have an extensive history of adequate funding and an impressive publishing record.

Also, some med schools have funding set aside to fund their students for a year if they don't get a research fellowship; you may want to ask someone at your med school if they have a similar program. Additionally, if there is a well-funded PI you are interested in working with, you can ask them if they can fund you for a year. Deferring your loans for a year if you are not in a formal fellowship or getting a degree may be tricky, but if you talk to someone in your school's financial aid office, they may be able to give you advice about how to correctly fill out the deferment forms. Finally, if there is a specialty you know you are interested in, departments at different medical school--particularly if they T32 pre-doctoral grants--will sometimes take med students for a year. Sometime these opportunities are advertised on their websites, but other times you may need to email them directly

Someone is a grumpy Gus

The reason I asked is because SDN has many posters who can offer advice, and the more specific you are, the more people can help you. Additionally, many people read these threads, and they can be wealth of information for other people, too

Two points I should clarify. First, you mention that you do not have any previous research experience, but many of the formal research year programs don't require previous research experience (although it does help). None of the programs enumerated above have an application fee, so it doesn't hurt to apply to as many as you can. Second, for the HHMI-MRFP, they're fairly particular about who you select as your PI. Although you are allowed to select any lab, and although the PI does not have to be an HHMI-funded investigator, it does help. If you do select someone who is not an HHMI-investigator, then they should at least be in the same league, i.e. they need to have an extensive history of adequate funding and an impressive publishing record.

Also, some med schools have funding set aside to fund their students for a year if they don't get a research fellowship; you may want to ask someone at your med school if they have a similar program. Additionally, if there is a well-funded PI you are interested in working with, you can ask them if they can fund you for a year. Deferring your loans for a year if you are not in a formal fellowship or getting a degree may be tricky, but if you talk to someone in your school's financial aid office, they may be able to give you advice about how to correctly fill out the deferment forms. Finally, if there is a specialty you know you are interested in, departments at different medical school--particularly if they T32 pre-doctoral grants--will sometimes take med students for a year. Sometime these opportunities are advertised on their websites, but other times you may need to email them directly

Yeah yesterday wasn't a great day, so sorry about that. Thanks for your advice - definitely will help out when I'm at that point.

I'm in a similar situation OP. I basically have to take a year off post-second year for family reasons. I may end up doing a one year MPH program and research on the side.

It is not absolutely required that you be funded for your year off. I don't know how that works with loan deferment, but I've known quite a few full year research students who had to pay for all living expenses on their own.

Some schools have a system in place to fund a year off for you, but it seems pretty rare. Just because you don't have basic science research experience doesn't mean that applying to HHMI and all the other programs listed above isn't a good idea.

I would talk to the PI you plan to work with (better if he's had students take a full year off in the past) and ask him/her for advice.