Funding Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cormac

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently in my PGY1 doing a prelim in internal medicine. I will be going through the match again for a advanced dermatology residency. My question is would my dermatology residency DGME be funded for all three years of the dermatology residency or would it be reduced in my PGY4 year since I initially only matched into a prelim internal medicine program?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard from multiple sources that the funding clock doesn't start for those who only match into a PGY-1 position without an advanced match.

I agree with Dermione above, but I saw this from the AAMC (I don't think any residency program actually believes it though bc it doesn't make intuitive sense, and there are derm applicants who do a research fellowship after their prelim year and match, or match during their internship year, so just don't say anything on your interviews): http://umsc.org.uic.edu/documents/medicaregme2013.pdf (page 6-7)

Residencies that require the completion of a broad-based clinical year:

• If a specialty requires a broad-based clinical year of training, and you match simultaneously into both the broad-based year and the specialty program, then your IRP is determined by the specialty program that begins during your second year of training. If, instead, you initially match only into a clinical base year or preliminary year program, your IRP is determined by your clinical base year program—even if you later match into a different specialty.

Here’s an example: You simultaneously match into both an internal medicine clinical base-year program and a radiology training program. Your IRP will be based on the minimum number of years required to become board eligible in radiology and will be set at five years. If, instead, you match only into an internal medicine clinical base-year program, begin the program, and later are accepted into a radiology program for your post-graduate year-2 (PGY-2), your IRP will be based on the number of years required to become board eligible in internal medicine, and will be set at three years.

• If you match into a program that would begin in your PGY-2, and you are able to obtain a preliminary year position for your PGY-1 outside of the match, then your IRP is determined by the specialty in which you will train during your PGY-2.

When your first residency is a transitional year:
• If the first residency you enter is a transitional year, then your IRP is determined by the residency you enter in your second year of training

Members don't see this ad :)
That is what I saw too which lead to my question. I agree does not make much sense, but is worrisome,

That is what I saw too which lead to my question. I agree does not make much sense, but is worrisome,
I wouldn't worry about it bc I don't think most programs even look at that bc it's so counterintuitive. A prelim year by definition is only 1 year and only bc it's required for advanced programs needing an internship. Makes no sense a transitional year would be treated differently than a prelim year.