Funniest pronunciation of a drug

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brock1385

Keepin my fingers crossed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that when I see a drug over and over I say it in my head although I never say it out loud. Sometimes I hear it pronounced and I find that the name of the drug is so long or appears so difficult that I have transposed letters in the name to pronounce it a different way.

Small example -- when I count Metoprolol, I always say in my head
Met-uh-pro-lol. What's funny is I do this all the time.

The Other Day a man came to the counter with a bottle of Fred's Ibuprofen and asked me If I had a name brand version of this "I-PRO-BuFFEN". I quickly walked him to the otc section and told him that both Motrin and Advil were
"I-BU-PROFEN" and he asked me again if either one was better than just the plain I-PRO-BUFFEN.

Saturday a lady came through the drive through and asked if If Freds made a brand of Ametacinoph.... Crap to tell you the truth I couldn't even begin to reproduce the word that she said instead of Acetaminophen. I went and got her the fred's brand and tried not to act like she was pronouncing it all wrong.

I'm sure some of yall have heard much funnier ones than that though....

Members don't see this ad.

yeah....
the way i say and spell most of the more unusal drugs are quite amusing...

for example...
aloe = A low

i probably add syllables too... but i think that's a regional thing

oh for Mellitus (as in DM)
we have a professor who says mel-I-tus
and one that says Mell-uh-tus

Members don't see this ad :)
Caverject said:
I have a patient that calls Glyburide "Gly-Birdie" and Ranitidine "Rin-tin-tin"

:laugh:

One patient wrote down a list of meds on paper that she needed some loaners for but I didn't notice that they were written in such a messy way until I took it to the pharmacist to ask him if it was ok - I got confused and said "Do we have enough c-ooohhhhl-chicine." The rest of the day he made fun of me.. "Here's that lady's All-ooooohhh-purinoooooohl" "Get me some Aten-oooohhhh-looool" :laugh:

At my store the techs mispronounce drug names.

"you don't have any refills on your a-ten-a-nal, so we'll have to fax your doctor" or "I need #60 oxy-cotton".

Now the patients think that this is the proper pronunciation.

One day an old Filipino man came up to me at the pharmacy and said, "I want a ree-pill op gleee-booo-ride por my jah-bee-tees." Just to clarify, I asked him, "You want to refill your glyburide?" He responded, "Yes, my gleee-booo-ride."

I had a customer ask for "a-len-a-bo-lo-ba". I said "your what?". He said, you know "a-gen-lob-bo-lob-o-la, you know, my heart med". Then the pharmacists jumped in and said "oh your atenolol". He said "yeah whatever it is called". I had to run to the back and laugh.

I once had a patient ask for her Wellbutrin SR.. nothing funny about that, right? EXCEPT, she asked for her

WELLBUTRIN "SENIOR"! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Robitussin, MD" - instead of Robitussin DM

The first time I saw the generic name for Plavix, I thought it was pronounced "clop-ih-dawg-ril".....and for Tessalon generic, I thought it was "benzo-nato-nate". Good thing I said it in front of a pharmacist who could correct me before I said it in front of a patient! :)

dgroulx said:
At my store the techs mispronounce drug names.

"you don't have any refills on your a-ten-a-nal, so we'll have to fax your doctor" or "I need #60 oxy-cotton".

Now the patients think that this is the proper pronunciation.

One of our pharmacists actually says atenolol that way. But she's been in practice since ~1965 so I'm willing to bet that we'd be hard pressed to correct her at this point.

When I worked mail order, our most common types of medications dispensed were for diabetes and people with COPD or other respiratory problems. We'd frequently get patients who'd call in and ask for their "Glue-ba-hage" (Glucophage) or "Ip-ah-tro-perm" (ipratropium).

When I worked retail many moons ago, some women would ask for their "premium tablets" (Premarin). And just the other day, my dad was asking me about Ultracet, but he didn't say "Ultracet." For the life of me I can't remember what he called it, but it was pretty funny.

I had a customer come in requesting an OTC recommendation for the phalanges in the back of his throat. The pharmacist recommended Mucinex and corrected him “oh you mean phlegm” but the customer still insisted phalanges.

pharmstar said:
I had a customer come in requesting an OTC recommendation for the phalanges in the back of his throat. The pharmacist recommended Mucinex and corrected him “oh you mean phlegm” but the customer still insisted phalanges.

He had foot-in-mouth disease.