Funny application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright soo, I'm not the most stellar of applicants (~3.4 and a 35). My dad, however, said he'd give me the money if I just went ahead and put Johns Hopkins(he went here, but not for medical), Harvard, and Stanford on my app list. So here are all these "lower" schools, and then I have these crazy top school names on my list. I was afraid they'd be like "Is this kid joking?!?!?" and send a letter to AMCAS telling them never to let me apply to med school ever again! AAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Do you guys know if people just apply to places for the hell of it, since its just 30 bucks extra for each? I can't help but laugh out loud looking at my list :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, my mother is also agitating for me to add Hopkins to the list. She went there for undergrad. I think it would look pretty funny on my list, too. If I weren't almost definitely "stuck" in Philadelphia, I might consider it, but as it is, I have little chance of even interviewing and a miniscule chance of being able to attend even if by some miracle I was accepted.

But you can totally get in to somewhere like Hopkins if you have a lot of research experience. Don't discount that high 35 on the MCAT. You're by no means a shoe-in, but you're a contender.

i don't understand when people say they're not competitive at top schools with a 35. who else do you think they're accepting? some of those are on my list, and you're way more competitive than i am! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Turkeyman said:
Do you guys know if people just apply to places for the hell of it, since its just 30 bucks extra for each?
I did. Schools don't see the list of schools you applied to.

Turkeyman said:
Do you guys know if people just apply to places for the hell of it, since its just 30 bucks extra for each?

Don't forget about the price for the secondary apps. Those will run you around $200 - 300 for those schools you named, bringing your total to $200 - 300 secondaries + $90 AMCAS. I would only try to apply to those schools if your GPA is a huge upward trend and you have a pretty nice background and LORs.

tigress said:
Well, my mother is also agitating for me to add Hopkins to the list. She went there for undergrad. I think it would look pretty funny on my list, too. If I weren't almost definitely "stuck" in Philadelphia, I might consider it, but as it is, I have little chance of even interviewing and a miniscule chance of being able to attend even if by some miracle I was accepted.

But you can totally get in to somewhere like Hopkins if you have a lot of research experience. Don't discount that high 35 on the MCAT. You're by no means a shoe-in, but you're a contender.

I agree with the second paragraph of what tigress said.

gujuDoc said:
I agree with the second paragraph of what tigress said.
but you also can have zero research and get in. and i have had NONE and got offered a spot at duke. go figure.

based on yer info, youmay be a competitive applicant for those schools. the question is DO YOU WANT TO GO THERE? if yes, than apply. you never know. i had stellar numbers and got rejected from one of my "easier" schools because i had a not so great interview.

apply to your dream school. i didn't and i wish i had. altho it was a VERY HARD one.