Funny Names (Seriously!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was board and playing with Google and came up with a humerous new hobby. As an example and in the spirit of "We have the best threads" I give you... Frank Melena. Seriously.

http://roanoke.ec.unt.edu/ContactInfo.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
isn't Donald Trump's latest wife named Melena?

I saw an 8 year old child the other day with the name of Ozzy Osborne.

Seriously, I saved the sticker.

Patients with the name Lemonjello and Orangejello...

In Israel, I had a 105 yr old female, brought in from a nursing home, completely out of it, we had no idea why she was there, but when you pushed on her abdomen she would go, "WEEEEEEEEEEEE." Anyway, her name was Ima Gomer.

I had a girl named Sprinkles (last name HIPAA withheld). Im sure "sprinkles" is an old family name?

Im sure "sprinkles" is an old family name?
lol. I used to have a pony jumper named sprinkles...but in public he had a dignified "show name." we only called him sprinkles in private.

Twins named Uno and Two (pronounced twao)

one of my attendings keeps a list of stickers w/ funny pt names... should borrow it and post some!

dad knew a guy growing up named byum magoodwin. yep, buy em a good one!

there are a bunch of paintings in my hospital by an artist named candida. they're right outside the cafeteria. i almost lost lunch laughing the first time i saw it.

former ob/gyn resident at my med school, last name beaver. also, recently a gyne pt at my hosp w/ last name beaver.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a lady named Ima Paine. No, she's not.....she's actually a sweet old lady.

Oh, and there is a paramedic here locally named Harry Henderson

there are a bunch of paintings in my hospital by an artist named candida. they're right outside the cafeteria. i almost lost lunch laughing the first time i saw it.

Let's hope she never marries a guy named Mr. Albicans. :smuggrin:

former ob/gyn resident at my med school, last name beaver. also, recently a gyne pt at my hosp w/ last name beaver.

When I used to help teach fire recruit school, there was a probie named Randy Beavers. "Uh, you might want to either go by your middle name or by Randall." I didn't have the heart to check and make sure his middle name wasn't Harold :smuggrin:

Had two patient names in med school:

Old lady complaining of feeling sick: Lottie Payne

The best one ever was another old lady: Ada Beaver

That last one almost got me kicked out of the ER for laughing too much.

YES! Now this is a thread!

Name called during traffic court a few years back: Terra Wrist
Name of a patient on my floor today: Dihna Mot

From years ago when I was doing medical billing:

Cotton and Percale Sheets (yes, they were also twin sheets)

From when Mr DrMom worked at a hotel:

A Box (that was his entire first name, not an initial)

Local brothers:

Will Fail and Never Fail (they apparently have lived up to their respective names)

Local doctors:
Dr. Billings (I'm sure his patients agree)
Dr. Plaster (ortho sx)
Dr. Knifechief

I've always found the name ****head (pronounced Sha-teed) a little concerning.

Edit: S-h-i-t-head, but it's pronounced Shateed. See, even SDN censors it!

Yup, there must be a few. There is a Sh&#head running around with a brother named (first and middle) Cash Money. No joke. I hope the mom's name was Stupid A$$ Woman but was not able to get that info. Those poor kids are destined to suck at life.

So how many of these can be backed up? I think a lot are medical urban legends.

checking the white pages online would work for adults. So far, I would believe most of what was given (although, if I were not the one sure of Cash Money, I would have some doubt about that one).

One of my partners had a patient named Ho Li Phuk (she was Vietnamese). Calling her back from the waiting room was always interesting. ;)

Went to high school with and was friends with a young lady whose last name was "Doctor". Her father was a physician, and my friend aspired to be a physician. Now, if she reached her goal (we are now out of touch) and she and her father went into practice together, their nurse would be:
"The Doctors Doctors' Nurse"
Likewise, a physician in their employ would be:
"The Doctors Doctors' Doctor"

Just a thought...

BTW - I have had a young female patient named "Toshiba" and one named "Female" pronounced "fee-mal-ay".

- H

So how many of these can be backed up? I think a lot are medical urban legends.
well, there are Cash, Rope, and Tygh (pronounced Tie) Myers, all professional rodeo cowboys (well, Tygh's a cowgirl)

My sister graduated high school with Russell "Rusty" Nail, the volunteer firefighter/EMT Who, I swear to god, once said "don't call me Russell"
http://jchs1984.home.att.net/Class_Members.htm

There is a pediatrician near where I grew up named Dr. Harry Pepe. Not a joke. He still practices in Hollywood, FL.

Once saw a kid named Ivory Snow in the peds ED in med school. Oh, and in same ED, one of the other resients had a kid with first name of Kingdavid (yep, all 1 word).

Why to parents do this to their kids????

I once met a man named Paul Badmarriage. I can just picture his wedding: I now pronounce you...Mr. and Mrs. Badmarriage.

Dr. *****: http://www.healthgrades.com/directory_search/physician/profiles/dr-md-reports/Dr-David-*****-MD-37833DA2.cfm

I had a patient while in med school named Cinderella. Also saw a patient with a last name of Gas. Went to school with a guy named Vu Vo.

When I was in the Air Force there was some Nigerian guy on our base who his first name was an unpronouncable string of syllables and he went by the shortened version "Bubo" (bah-you-bo). He didn't get the joke (he worked on the flightline) when I asked him if he had siblings named Newmonica and Septicemika, until I explained the whole bubonic plague thing to him.

There is a pediatrician near where I grew up named Dr. Harry Pepe. Not a joke. He still practices in Hollywood, FL.

hahaha I drive past his office all the time! I'll try to take a snapshot of his office.

I did residency in Baton Rouge, partially at the Charity hospital there.

There was a well known patient there by the name of...

Delicious Peters.

I loved it when ol' Delicious would present for her clinic follow up. Being a charity hospital, we were about twenty years behind the times in patient privacy.

I can still hear the lady at the front announcing on the overhead speaker "Delicious Peters, please wait outside the A hall treatment room."

You just can't make this stuff up.

First names in the Peds ED:
Phalacia
Candida (knickname: Candy)

GREAT thread!!!!!!!! I SO needed this today!!!

Candace Dick. No lie. Please, I am almost too embarrassed to write this here. How can you do that to a child?

There's a local doctor in Chicago named Dr. Pepper.

A neurosurgeon my mother once worked with was Dr. Hatchet.

There was a patient in the ED months ago with the last name of Hore.

I took care of a CCU patient named Harry Pitts.

Also, gave my order to a Mc Donald's cashier in Vicksburg, MS whose badge name read ****azz.

Harry Hoar, MD

Graduated from UConn several years ago and gave one of the funniest performances at the annual "Culture Shock" skit show in recent memory....all about having such a special name. I am a "Hoar", my father is a "hoar". When my father married my mother she became a "Hoar".

In Texas, I have seen a few of the common odd hispanic names such as:

ABCDE (ab-sa-dee)
NEVAEH (Na-Vay-Eh) (Look what it is spelled backwards if you didnt get it yet)

the one in the peds er i never figured out was THYROID ( seriously it doesn't even sound as nice as gon-nor-rea or nevaeh or even shi-thee-ad) I've seen all of those several times.