Docs with difficult names, how do you refer to yourself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a medium-ly difficult first and last name. Find it annoying to repeat myself ten times and wish my parents had named me Bob jones.

What do you go by if you also have a difficult so-called (lol) "ethnic" name?

Members don't see this ad.

Almost every Indian I've ever met goes by VJ instead "vijay*********************************".
So maybe find some acronym?

Reactions: 1 user
I've worked with a few as a med student and most will use a nickname or simple first name if they have one and just tell the patient they are Dr. <<insert nickname/simple first name>>. I was happy about this because I've had a few with names I could not even begin to pronounce so it was nice that they recognized that and didn't make patients, students, or ED staff try. A lot of ED docs seem to favor casual interactions and go by their first names when interacting with staff and other docs anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
My name isn't that hard but it is foreign. If someone can't pronounce it, I tell them to call me Dr. X (where X is my actual initial) rather than the whole thing. No big deal.

Papagiorgio

(Also known as El Jefe by our local hispanic population)

I have a polish last name. I either go by "Dr. P" or... by my name. Personally, I don't get caught up in being "Dr. Last name", but I can see why some people prefer "Dr. Last name."

My name isn't that hard but it is foreign. If someone can't pronounce it, I tell them to call me Dr. X (where X is my actual initial) rather than the whole thing. No big deal.

Dr. Xavier?

Personally, I don't get caught up in being "Dr. Last name", but I can see why some people prefer "Dr. Last name."
57061162.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I go with "Hi, I'm 'first name, last name'--I'm one of doctors today." If I'm at the academic site, I mention that I'm the "supervising doctor"

I also don't get really caught up in the doctor thing

Almost every Indian I've ever met goes by VJ instead "vijay*********************************".
So maybe find some acronym?

I do that for my first name.

I've worked with a few as a med student and most will use a nickname or simple first name if they have one and just tell the patient they are Dr. <<insert nickname/simple first name>>. I was happy about this because I've had a few with names I could not even begin to pronounce so it was nice that they recognized that and didn't make patients, students, or ED staff try. A lot of ED docs seem to favor casual interactions and go by their first names when interacting with staff and other docs anyway.

Hmmm, I can see what you are saying. On the other hand, I wouldn't want anyone to *expect* me to have to change my name. I do it of my own volition. (There is a bit of a double standard here, i.e. some Americans expecting everyone to speak to them in English when they go abroad, but then getting upset when someone doesn't speak English in 'Murica.)

Anyways, my name isn't actually terribly hard to say. It's just "foreign."

My name isn't that hard but it is foreign.

Same.

Sometimes I wonder if people can read since they can't seem to just sound it out. I guess it's a lack of interest/trying.

If someone can't pronounce it, I tell them to call me Dr. X (where X is my actual initial) rather than the whole thing. No big deal.

Yeah, that's what I do for now. But I posted this because I've had some patients do a little giggle when I say this, even though it's not like Dr. P or anything like that. That's why I was back to the drawing board on this one, although I may just continue to do it.

Also, I do the "Dr. LastName" because I always get "you're too young to be a doctor", and I don't wear a lab coat.

Also, I do the "Dr. LastName" because I always get "you're too young to be a doctor", and I don't wear a lab coat.
For me, there's a difference between being patients and hospital staff. Patient's for me is always, "Dr. Lastname."

Reactions: 1 users
There is a certain formality in the predominant culture in my shop and so Dr Lastname is almost mandatory. On the other hand, my last name is not very long and it is frequently misspelled anyway. I can't imagine having a long last name for all the phone calls for critical values, etc...

For me, there's a difference between being patients and hospital staff. Patient's for me is always, "Dr. Lastname."

Yeah I meant for patients. I say my first name to staff but they still tend to call me Dr. lastname due to the culture of the hospital.

Even when I introduce myself and correct them once, they all still refer to me as "Dr. Lee". It's gotten to the point that I'm considering just introducing myself as Dr. Lee and going with it.

Even when I introduce myself and correct them once, they all still refer to me as "Dr. Lee". It's gotten to the point that I'm considering just introducing myself as Dr. Lee and going with it.

Lee is the first thing i think of when discussing difficult names

A sure sign of a Millennial: everything is a gif

All emotions are expressed in a gif or meme. I'm not knocking it, and I've been guilty of the same, once or twice. But it's just something I've noticed being a thing. For Millennials.

World War II Generation-Saved the world from genocide and tyranny of evil.

Millennials- Gifs, memes and genitals as interchangeable parts.

Last edited: