Funny PIMP Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
P= preceptor
M= Me

1) P: BloodySurgeon do you know what the poverty line is in United States?
M: Idk $23,000?
P: No. The poverty line is $22, 283.
P: Oh... ok. :?

2) P: Do you know what a hernia is?
M: A protrusion of an organ through a wall cavity?
P: It's just a hole!
M: Ok. :/

3) P: Well this patient looks very healthy to me, BloodySurgeon do you think we should discharge him?
M: (listening to the patient with my stethoscope) I think the patient is in A fib right now...
P: (Re-checking the patient) Yea, he is. I think we should order an EKG.
M: Good idea :/

4) P: Do you know what this patient has?
M: No.
P: He has Muckle-Wells Syndrome.
M: Ok.
P: Do you know what that is?
M: No, not really.
P: Me neither.
M: ?????

5) P: What do you know about trains?
M: Not that much.
P: You should learn more about trains.

Members don't see this ad.

I think if pimping is done one on one, it's the Socratic method.

Members don't see this ad :)
P= preceptor
M= Me

1) P: BloodySurgeon do you know what the poverty line is in United States?
M: Idk $23,000?
P: No. The poverty line is $22, 283.
P: Oh... ok. :?

3) P: Well this patient looks very healthy to me, BloodySurgeon do you think we should discharge him?
M: (listening to the patient with my stethoscope) I think the patient is in A fib right now...
P: (Re-checking the patient) Yea, he is. I think we should order an EKG.
M: Good idea :/

4) P: Do you know what this patient has?
M: No.
P: He has Muckle-Wells Syndrome.
M: Ok.
P: Do you know what that is?
M: No, not really.
P: Me neither.
M: ?????

5) P: What do you know about trains?
M: Not that much.
P: You should learn more about trains.

Me personally? I found those hilarious. Especially the Muckle Wells one...which reminded me of the patient I had recently at inpatient... we were trying to figure out what it was and I come in the next morning to:

Me: How's he doing?
Resident: Oh, lab confirmed it was HLH.
Me: *Pause...wtf is HLH. Should I know it?* Answer - Oh, that's interesting
Resident: Yeah
Attending: What the hell is HLH?

:laugh:

But this is the funniest I've had:
I'm assisting in a vaginal delivery and the baby is delivered. I'm having flashbacks of the movie Alien throughout the whole process. My preceptor has the cord in his hand.
Preceptor: What blood vessel am I drawing from?
Me: *I can't come to the phone right now...* The artery...no vein... I
Preceptor: *chuckles* Okay

We walk out and I say "I'm sorry...my mind was just going to Alien. I DO know what vessel it is!
Preceptor: I know, that's why I asked. Your face was priceless

EM attending: Do you know what the origin of the insult "*****" is?

Students: ???

EM attending: ::pulls down suspiciously placed dictionary in the trauma bay:: "Look up the word pusillanimous. I think it's spelled p-u-s-i-l-l-a-n-i-m-o-u-s."

Student: ::Opens up dictionary finds suspiciously highlighted word:: "lacking courage and resolution : marked by contemptible timidity"

EM attending: ::looks at the dictionary:: "Yep, even spelled it correctly." ::walks away::

EM resident: "I can't count the number of times I've heard him asked that."

Student: ::book marks page for future students, places dictionary back on the shelf::

A tale from a classmate, who broke her arm and was being seen in the Emergency Room by Ortho:

Ortho: "...so those are the risks involved with the procedure. All right, you're the medical student. What am I forgetting?"
OMS-III: (Lying on a gurney in extreme pain and with lots of Dilaudid on board) "...seriously?"
Ortho: "Trick question. I didn't forget anything. See you in the OR." /leaves

And people wonder why orthopods get a bad rap... :laugh:

I think if pimping is done one on one, it's the Socratic method.

I'm in this line. Kind of wishing I'd gotten more of it during third year, the attendings that did so taught me a lot.

Well, surgeons seem to do it purely because they're sadists. But others are nicer about it.

I was in the OR assisting on a Gallbladder.

Surgeon: How many stomachs does a cow have?
Me: 4
Surgeon: Ok, name them
Me: Rumen, Reticulum, Omasum, Abomasum
Surgeon: Dang.

Cha Ching, never got another question after that

The anesthesiologist chimes in:

Name the largest muscle of the horse. Platysmus
Can we get back to human anatomy? This is not vet school. HAHAHAHA

I was in the OR assisting on a Gallbladder.

Surgeon: How many stomachs does a cow have?
Me: 4
Surgeon: Ok, name them
Me: Rumen, Reticulum, Omasum, Abomasum
Surgeon: Dang.

Cha Ching, never got another question after that

The anesthesiologist chimes in:

Name the largest muscle of the horse. Platysmus
Can we get back to human anatomy? This is not vet school. HAHAHAHA

Okay, prodigy.

Animal science background?

Attending: "Name a letter."
Me: "...P"
Attending: "Fat girl dancing."
Me: "...?"
Attending: "Fat girl dancing. Diagnosis begins with P."
Me: "People I see at Walmart?"
Attending: "Patellar dislocation. But good answer!"

It's 7am on the first day of the last rotation of medical school (nephro, in this case).

Attending shows up to round. Opening pimp question: 'Name the 6 types of lupus nephritis, and give me the population frequency of each.'

Guy was flabbergasted when I didn't know. (The rest of the rotation went downhill from there - the guy was a total douchebag.)

On surgery, my knowledge of classic rock carried me much farther in the OR than anything else. I rarely got pimped on the actual procedure before us, but I was often asked 'who is this' when the song changed on the radio.

It's 7am on the first day of the last rotation of medical school (nephro, in this case).

Attending shows up to round. Opening pimp question: 'Name the 6 types of lupus nephritis, and give me the population frequency of each.'

Guy was flabbergasted when I didn't know. (The rest of the rotation went downhill from there - the guy was a total douchebag.)

On surgery, my knowledge of classic rock carried me much farther in the OR than anything else. I rarely got pimped on the actual procedure before us, but I was often asked 'who is this' when the song changed on the radio.

The 'name that classic rock artist' questions were just about the only questions I got right on my surgery rotation, actually...

Members don't see this ad :)
The 'name that classic rock artist' questions were just about the only questions I got right on my surgery rotation, actually...

I had an attending who was into Motown and obscure R&B. Those pimp sessions were brutal.

i got a question from an attending on who was in the jackson 5... had to do a presentation on them because the only one i could name was michael haha... pretty funny

EM attending: Do you know what the origin of the insult "*****" is?

Students: ???

EM attending: ::pulls down suspiciously placed dictionary in the trauma bay:: "Look up the word pusillanimous. I think it's spelled p-u-s-i-l-l-a-n-i-m-o-u-s."

Student: ::Opens up dictionary finds suspiciously highlighted word:: "lacking courage and resolution : marked by contemptible timidity"

EM attending: ::looks at the dictionary:: "Yep, even spelled it correctly." ::walks away::

EM resident: "I can't count the number of times I've heard him asked that."

Student: ::book marks page for future students, places dictionary back on the shelf::

There can't be two attendings who did that in the country. Were you at a community hospital near Philly?

There can't be two attendings who did that in the country. Were you at a community hospital near Philly?

Nope... county hospital in Southern California.

P= preceptor
M= Me

Hahahah!!! This happened to me today.

P: Define hernia.
M: ummm...it's when one part of the body herniates into another part of the body?
P: HAHAHAHAHA. I've never heard anyone use the word in it's own definition.
M: (why the F*** did I say that...)

*points at CT* "What's that?"
"The psoas."
"What cut of meat is that on the cow?"
"I dunno."
"Filet mignon."
"haha.."

Few days later, another surgeon.
"The psoas sign, right. What's that cut of meat?"
"Filet mignon."
*class laughter*
"I've already gotten that pimp question."

We had a very old surgical attending who was notorious for pimping in story form...

Mr. MockJock, are you a skier?
- Not a good one.
Well since you're a bad skier, you will probably get buried in an avalanche the next time you go skiing. Let's say that happens.
- Um... ok?
Now, you're buried in the snow, and soon enough you see a Bernese Mountain Dog come to your rescue. He has a cask around his neck. Mr. MockJock, do you know what would traditionally be in that cask? (Is he really pimping me on this?)
- Brandy?
Very good! Now, would you want to drink that brandy?
- Well, sir, what I would want to do and what I should do are two different things.

He was going for ETOH induced peripheral vasodilation speeding hypothermia.

I'm glad I got condemned to be buried in an avalanche the next time I go skiing... Winter is coming.

Reactions: 1 user
Pimped at a small group applicant tour discussing a heart defect in a fetus.

Student: Will the child be able to fully recover after the procedure?
Attending: Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
Students: *Awkward silence*
Attending: Come on guys, who said it?
Attending: *shakes head* Alright let's get going.

Pimped at a small group applicant tour discussing a heart defect in a fetus.

Student: Will the child be able to fully recover after the procedure?
Attending: Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
Students: *Awkward silence*
Attending: Come on guys, who said it?
Attending: *shakes head* Alright let's get going.

YODA

Attending: How many sides are there to the femoral triangle?
Me: Uh...3

ENT Surgeon asked me to read about the Sistrunk procedure for thyroglossal duct cyst repair.

I read about it.

ENT Attending: So who was Otis Sistrunk?
Me: He was an 18th Century British Surgeon who .... (yadda yadda)
ENT Attending: OTIS Sistrunk was a player on the Oakland Raiders in the 1980s. I don't know the person you're talking about.

Reactions: 1 users
ENT Surgeon asked me to read about the Sistrunk procedure for thyroglossal duct cyst repair.

I read about it.

ENT Attending: So who was Otis Sistrunk?
Me: He was an 18th Century British Surgeon who .... (yadda yadda)
ENT Attending: OTIS Sistrunk was a player on the Oakland Raiders in the 1980s. I don't know the person you're talking about.

^haha! that attending sounds fun!