"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean, they both have French origins I guess.
Both have french origins, big blues scenes, mardi gras, etc.. Historically they shared a lot of culture due to mississippi river barge trade I believe

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
People normally pronounce MCAT as "Em-Cat" not "Em-See-Ay-Tee" so IDK what NAD+ and FADH should be any different?

Because.. NAD :laugh:

(Yeah im immature haha)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
People normally pronounce MCAT as "Em-Cat" not "Em-See-Ay-Tee" so IDK what NAD+ and FADH should be any different?
well....
One of my colleagues asked if I took the "Muh-CAT"

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly it sounds like the prof was being intentionally obtuse. If you’re talking about cell respiration you’re telling me you have no clue what he means by nad or fad?

Yeah it's silly and def comes off like that but I believe it knowing the prof. When I say he's elderly I mean suuuupperrr old. Like started accidentally drawing substrates from cholesterol synthesis when we were learning glycolysis old

• Haha
Nothing in medicine is safe from adcom cat obsession influence- not even how we pronounce MCAT

Reactions: 1 users
m'cat *tips collar*
*tips fedora*

M’cat
17AC68B6-BE58-4CDB-AB45-DA3156A13E23.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Me age 4: *miserable rashy baby who had to sleep with socks on her hands* I want to be a dermatologist when I grow up!

Me age 10: I want to be a dermatologist when I grow up!

Me age 16: oh damn, derms make a lot of $$$! You say it’s hard? Ha, I’m always the top of my class, even when I’m stoned I make A’s. No problem. I’m going to be a dermatologist when I grow up!

Me age 18: I’m doing chemical engineering for my undergrad because I want to be a dermatologist and it’s a great premed track per my OB/GYN.

Me halfway through first semester freshman year, a whooole lotta parties, dating my future ex husband, also still thinks doing homework is studying: C on my chem midterm?!?! I’ve always excelled in science, wtf? I’ll never be a doctor with grades like these. Well, I can still be in healthcare as a nurse, helping people is what matters to me anyway, and this career will be more amenable to family life.
Side rant - any career that requires 14 hour days, holidays, and limited ETO is NOT family friendly, especially if you end up single along the way./rant

Me age 20: 3.5 gpa, 400 applicants for 72 spots in the nursing school - rejected. Welcome to the real world.

Me post Mrs degree and finally in nursing school: Yeh, screw this, I still want to be a physician. I want to figure out the problem, not push drugs and answer call lights all day. Oh damn, that pregnancy test is positive.

Me in the ED: Whew, I would have been bored out of my mind looking at moles on butts all day long. I want to be an ER doctor - I don’t want to just set up the chest tube, I want to insert the chest tube.
Mr: No, you can’t go to med school.
Me: ....here’s my plan, this fall I’ll take...then biochem... you know it’s been my life’s dream.
Mr: Fine, you can go to med school, just don’t expect me and your son to come with you.
Me: chardonnay, Pinot noir, cab sauv, gin and tonic, girly romance novels, candy crush, running, overtime, shopping. Also, divorce 10 years overdue.

Me last year: Call lights are the fifth circle of hell - I want my patients SAP’d, Doe status without family, and night shift gave the bath. I’m not taking the rotisserie if you don’t make them 1:1. Still want to go to med school. Derm is a whole lot harder than just ABCDE’ing some moles, plus they do get to help people feel comfortable in their own skin. Botox is bank. Still would rather play with nec fasc in the unit than look at moles on butts all day.

Me now: NP school. I want to know all the things. Let me fluff that pillow for you while I walk on sunshine because I escaped hell and don’t have to answer call lights anymore. Shock is my jam. I’m going to med school in a few years and I’ll do whatever it takes to get there. Mad respect for derm - that s***’s hard, makes ABG’s look like third grade math and chem had a baby...oh wait.

• Wow
Me age 4: *miserable rashy baby who had to sleep with socks on her hands* I want to be a dermatologist when I grow up!

Me age 16: oh damn, derms make a lot of $$$! You say it’s hard? Ha, I’m always the top of my class, even when I’m stoned I make A’s. No problem. I’m going to be a dermatologist when I grow up!

Me age 18: I’m doing chemical engineering for my undergrad because I want to be a dermatologist and it’s a great premed track per my OB/GYN.

Me halfway through first semester freshman year, a whooole lotta parties, dating my future ex husband, also still thinks doing homework is studying: C on my chem midterm?!?! I’ve always excelled in science, wtf? I’ll never be a doctor with grades like these. Well, I can still be in healthcare as a nurse, helping people is what matters to me anyway, and this career will be more amenable to family life.
Side rant - any career that requires 14 hour days, holidays, and limited ETO is NOT family friendly, especially if you end up single along the way./rant

Me age 20: 3.5 gpa, 400 applicants for 72 spots in the nursing school - rejected. Welcome to the real world.

Me post Mrs degree and finally in nursing school: Yeh, screw this, I still want to be a physician. I want to figure out the problem, not push drugs and answer call lights all day. Oh damn, that pregnancy test is positive.

Me in the ED: Whew, I would have been bored out of my mind looking at moles on butts all day long. I want to be an ER doctor - I don’t want to just set up the chest tube, I want to insert the chest tube.
Me: ....here’s my plan, this fall I’ll take...then biochem... you know it’s been my life’s dream.
Mr: Fine, you can go to med school, just don’t expect me and your son to come with you.
Me: chardonnay, Pinot noir, cab sauv, gin and tonic, girly romance novels, candy crush, running, overtime, shopping. Also, divorce 10 years overdue.

Me last year: Call lights are the fifth circle of hell - I want my patients SAP’d, Doe status without family, and night shift gave the bath. I’m not taking the rotisserie if you don’t make them 1:1. Still want to go to med school. Derm is a whole lot harder than just ABCDE’ing some moles, plus they do get to help people feel comfortable in their own skin. Botox is bank. Still would rather play with nec fasc in the unit than look at moles on butts all day.

Me now: NP school. I want to know all the things. Let me fluff that pillow for you while I walk on sunshine because I escaped hell and don’t have to answer call lights anymore. Shock is my jam. I’m going to med school in a few years and I’ll do whatever it takes to get there. Mad respect for derm - that s***’s hard, makes ABG’s look like third grade math and chem had a baby...oh wait.
You are either very happy or completely insane. Big mood.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I gotta say it’s nice NOT being surrounded by premeds anymore

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
You are either very happy or completely insane. Big mood.

Depends on who you ask. If you’re not a little bit crazy before you enter the medical field, you will be afterwards. The ones without humor - can’t relate. Unless you’re in a cush field - still can’t relate. My attending got a text from his partner today that we were getting an admit who was post arrest on his previous two admissions, my attending’s response was “haha.” Hit me in the feels. These are my people. (Also, patient was improving when I left today, so win)

FWIW, my therapist thinks I’m sane.

I was admitted into the nursing program at my school like 179 spots and 1200 applicants. But then I decided against it I guess I dodged a bullet.

I gotta say it’s nice NOT being surrounded by premeds anymore
It is, but remember that med students were premeds not that long ago. Some things never go away, as I found out about 6 weeks ago. It is a bit better though.

Reactions: 5 users
At freshman orientation 5 years ago, at least 15 freshmen asked me if I was pre-med. I lied to all of them and told them I was a dance major.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Ruthless:wideyed: :laugh:

Also, hindsight is 20/20 but for anyone applying in the future, please don't compare yourselves to some of the crazy apps you see on here and decide you need to apply to 40+ schools. Comparison does not help one's state of mind

Lol. Too late. Applied to 54 schools.

Honestly, anyone who can complete 54 secondaries has the work ethic to succeed in medical school

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
My wallet already hates me as it is. lol

Hey, if you can spare any more money right now that would be cool. I am with the Nigerian National Petroleum Company and we need some non-Nigerian citizens to help us transfer $4 million. You just need to send me $100k so I can know you are legit. I can give you more details if you email me at [email protected]

edit: oh sorry wrong scam. I meant this one: please pay $125 so we can read your med school essays

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
1. Was a tutor at our writing center. Not one, but TWO students who came in for help with their med school personal statements refused to share it with me upon me mentioning at all that I'm also planning to apply to medical school 1-2 cycles AFTER them. I learned to stop trying to make small talk with premeds lol

2. My physics lab partner switched from pre-med to pre-nursing and stated her reason as being because she wants more patient interaction

3. A kid in orgo lab got and wore a white coat with his name embroidered on it, and continued to wear it for the entire semester buttoned-up to the top while everyone else was in obviously casual wear

4. A boy saw fellow premeds at a party freshman year, left the party, and proceeded to report the party to campus PD so that the other kids would get busted for underage drinking

5. A guy in biochem referred to FAD and NAD as "fad" and "nad." Like pronounced as words rather than letter by letter. That one was just unsettling

I'm sure I'll think of more...undergrad was a ride
I heard someone refer to carboxylic acid as "coup" once.

• Haha
I explained to a youngling pre-med hopeful that her dual enrollment GPA will count towards AMCAS. It took another hour to convince her that it's still fine and that adcoms won't care much. Honestly schools REALLY aught to inform students better about implications of such classes.

This about an actual M2 and not a premed, but he is a friend of mine and I was discussing with him that I was going to hit the ground running once I start medical school and study so I can kill the boards and have a good chance at a competitive residency as a DO. He then tells me he is “taking the first 1.5 years pretty lightly and just studying enough to pass” and he’s going to “go way more hardcore beginning next year.” I just see him traveling everywhere on Facebook and face palmed a little. I believe he can do it, but I’m also worried as his friend. Then again he is in an MD school so :shrug:

This about an actual M2 and not a premed, but he is a friend of mine and I was discussing with him that I was going to hit the ground running once I start medical school and study so I can kill the boards and have a good chance at a competitive residency as a DO. He then tells me he is “taking the first 1.5 years pretty lightly and just studying enough to pass” and he’s going to “go way more hardcore beginning next year.” I just see him traveling everywhere on Facebook and face palmed a little. I believe he can do it, but I’m also worried as his friend. Then again he is in an MD school so :shrug:
Everyone I know that has scored 240+ on Step1 (n=5) did this. They enjoyed M1 for what it was, paced themselves going a little harder towards dedicated, balls-to-the-wall’ed it for 2/3 of dedicated, then took a vacation. Enjoying life and having fun seems like it would be conducive to having a productive learning environment even if you aren’t studying as much. Contrary to the environment on SDN, most MED students are not cranking Anki/FA from the get go. So I have been told/so I have observed.

You never know. I’ve misjudged the capabilities and strategies of many people over my life.

You never know. I’ve misjudged the capabilities and strategies of many people over my life.
^ that being said, I’ll always bet against premeds who say “I am going to be a pediatric neurosurgeon”

Reactions: 6 users
^ that being said, I’ll always bet against premeds who say “I am going to be a pediatric neurosurgeon”

Pediatric anything, really: cardiologist, oncologist, and so on. It’s also not limited to medicine. Many naive years ago, I would tell anyone who would listen that I was going to be a child psychologist at St. Jude’s. Double Mother Teresa points!

Does not apply to premeds who want to be pediatricians.

• Haha
Pediatric anything, really: cardiologist, oncologist, and so on. It’s also not limited to medicine. Many naive years ago, I would tell anyone who would listen that I was going to be a child psychologist at St. Jude’s. Double Mother Teresa points!

Used to say I was going to be a pediatric cardiologist.

Still think pediatric cardiology is basically the coolest medical specialty, but not gunning for it anymore.

Also gotta enjoy life while you can! I’m sure he’ll be fine.

Premed: I have to take the MCAT next year
Me: Oh! Same! What resources have you been using to study for it?
Premed: Study for it? We took the classes, ill be fine.
:eyebrow:

Clarification: this was 2 years ago

This reminds me of myself just one week ago:

Says he is very adamant about FM or lifestyle specialty

Someone says Plastics is more manageable during residency to have a family

Immediately switches potential interest to Plastics based on hearsay

As premeds, we don't really know what we want to do in most cases it seems.

This reminds me of myself just one week ago:

Says he is very adamant about FM or lifestyle specialty

Someone says Plastics is more manageable during residency to have a family

Immediately switches potential interest to Plastics based on hearsay

As premeds, we don't really know what we want to do in most cases it seems.

I’m emphasizing the “I am going to be xyz,” where xyz is some extreme thing. I wouldn’t criticize someone for saying “I am interested in xyz” or “I want to be an xyz.”

Folks lose credibility with me for talking about their ultra-high-level aspirations like it’s a foregone conclusion that they’ll be achieved.

What is it about the pediatric part of the specialty that draws in certain premeds? They'd do pediatric *insert specialty here* but probably wouldn't look twice at the pediatric specialty itself. Does the pediatric part make it more super or something? There's nothing that makes you look better than saving sick children I guess :shrug:

What is it about the pediatric part of the specialty that draws in certain premeds? They'd do pediatric *insert specialty here* but probably wouldn't look twice at the pediatric specialty itself. Does the pediatric part make it more super or something? There's nothing that makes you look better than saving sick children I guess :shrug:

Yup

EDIT: IMO, for many it is self-interested...wanting to glorify themselves

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Yup

EDIT: IMO, for many it is self-interested...wanting to glorify themselves

It’s pretty easy for me to imagine why, for example, fixing a congenital heart abnormality in an otherwise healthy kid would be more fulfilling than stenting an older person’s coronary arteries. It sounds intrinsically worthwhile, and I can see why someone could be passionate about it.

OTOH, I was the type who avoided talking about premed things to non-premed people. I usually wanted to avoid looking like a tool for having an aspiration. But, if someone got me going about what I am interested in, I could have easily sounded self-interested.

“tbh I feel like above a 523ish actually hurts more than it helps” - applicant with 20+ interviews in the middle of a group discussion about other applicants being at 10%

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users
“tbh I feel like above a 523ish actually hurts more than it helps” - applicant with 20+ interviews about in the middle of a group discussion about other applicants being at 10%
I was referring to yield protection at mid tiers THANK YOU VM smhhh

• Haha
  • Love
Premed: I have to take the MCAT next year
Me: Oh! Same! What resources have you been using to study for it?
Premed: Study for it? We took the classes, ill be fine.
:eyebrow:

Clarification: this was 2 years ago

Last night I had to take a patient to MRI and while we were waiting for the images I was talking to the Rad Tech about how I'm pursuing medicine. The rad tech then tells me about his sister who is in her senior year of UG and graduating with a 4.0cGPA, took MCAT and "failed" because she didn't study. I'm not sure what that means I sorta' assumed he means she scored <500.

• Wow
I was talking with this girl at school and she says "so glad med schools have grade forgiveness." She is applying next year. I told her no they don't and she must have heard DO schools doing it in the past but they no longer do. She said no MD schools have grade forgiveness. After another 5 minutes, I just about had enough. I guess she will find out next summer.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I was talking with this girl at school and she says "so glad med schools have grade forgiveness." She is applying next year. I told her no they don't and she must have heard DO schools doing it in the past but they no longer do. She said no MD schools have grade forgiveness. After another 5 minutes, I just about had enough. I guess she will find out next summer.
DO schools had grade replacement not grade forgiveness. What exactly does she mean by that? Also yikes!

So the cops at our school don't care enough to give out IA's just because it's too party-heavy so I'm sure everyone was fine. I've had friends get busted so many times for being the hosts of these parties while also underage but nothing ended up on their record lol.

He just didn't realize it wouldn't do anything cuz he was a new freshman I guess. He actually bragged about this to one of my friends who of course told everyone. I think he only lasted til the end of orgo I anyways

I'm betting the IAs would come when they all decided to gang up on him after class for a "friendly discussion." :p