futher notes of pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knightmare3000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a board certified pathologist with PHD in molecular biology. despite 3 degrees , 2 doctorates, triple board certifications, 6 medical license, 3 fellowships and US med school grad I could not get a job in 9 years of locums. I do not want someone to end up like me. it is a waste of education the days of making 400K are over with most academics make about 80K with an R O 1 . your odds of getting an R O 1 are 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 . with CMS cuts don't be surprised they cut house staff salaries and or have lay offs. in private practice the mills, Quest, lab corp, ARUP take most of the work their salaries for staff are about 100K to 135 K with benefits. the top management might get 300K to 400K but that is not you even in a well to do practice the threat of predator labs like Aurona buying you out or going behind your back to the hospital administration is a clear and present danger. once they take over your salary is cut to about 100K now the use of telemedicine and teleconference even with microscopy is very real and the material is shipped to other labs even out of state or out of country further decreasing your ability to make a living telemedine is not well regulated and it is merely a matter of time before it takes over for the rural areas . so with this I emphatically say get out . go into IM. if you must stay then get a post doc and just do research. living from grant to grant or hoping you get the coveted R O 1 however is not that much job security and I would rather have some one go to IM and at least be able to see patients on the side to supplement their academic endeavors. under CLIA you can still run a lab with IM boards. but as a field pathology is over once it was good but it is not good any more . outfits like Quest or Lab corp converted the practice of pathology into a commodity. no more the pathologist at the community level now it is an 800 number but that is what the system wants now with cut backs that is all that healthcare will pay for. so get out now. with CMS cuts don't be surprised if they cut your paychecks soon if that occurs then "bail out" get into IM as fast as possible don't go down with the ship think of yourself. thanks for listening

Members don't see this ad.

I am a board certified pathologist with PHD in molecular biology. despite 3 degrees , 2 doctorates, triple board certifications, 6 medical license, 3 fellowships and US med school grad I could not get a job in 9 years of locums. I do not want someone to end up like me. it is a waste of education the days of making 400K are over with most academics make about 80K with an R O 1 . your odds of getting an R O 1 are 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 . with CMS cuts don't be surprised they cut house staff salaries and or have lay offs. in private practice the mills, Quest, lab corp, ARUP take most of the work their salaries for staff are about 100K to 135 K with benefits. the top management might get 300K to 400K but that is not you even in a well to do practice the threat of predator labs like Aurona buying you out or going behind your back to the hospital administration is a clear and present danger. once they take over your salary is cut to about 100K now the use of telemedicine and teleconference even with microscopy is very real and the material is shipped to other labs even out of state or out of country further decreasing your ability to make a living telemedine is not well regulated and it is merely a matter of time before it takes over for the rural areas . so with this I emphatically say get out . go into IM. if you must stay then get a post doc and just do research. living from grant to grant or hoping you get the coveted R O 1 however is not that much job security and I would rather have some one go to IM and at least be able to see patients on the side to supplement their academic endeavors. under CLIA you can still run a lab with IM boards. but as a field pathology is over once it was good but it is not good any more . outfits like Quest or Lab corp converted the practice of pathology into a commodity. no more the pathologist at the community level now it is an 800 number but that is what the system wants now with cut backs that is all that healthcare will pay for. so get out now. with CMS cuts don't be surprised if they cut your paychecks soon if that occurs then "bail out" get into IM as fast as possible don't go down with the ship think of yourself. thanks for listening
Please stop these unrealistic fear mongering posts!!

Reactions: 1 user
I am telling what I experienced over the past 20 years I am sorry this conflicts with your beliefs or what your academic faculty told you. Not everyone had a good time with pathology. I tell my side to it and you can have your side to it. but as I said if some one cuts your paycheck in the near future due to CMS cuts then don't say some one did not warn you all the best

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you don't have to stop, but could you please not repetitively post the SAME thing in every thread? There's this thing called redundancy...

Geez. You say the same doom/gloom in many posts. The key to findings a job is not having poor social skills/communication skills. That is usually the problem with peeps who have so much training or experience and can't get a job. You way over hype how bad the market is. It took me 3 months to find a job during my single fellowship. I just started in July and I am quite happy in pathology. For other peeps, don't let this one dude who is going bonkers stop you from going into pathology.

There are nutjobs in pathology. Ive met a few in residency and fellowship, both residents and attendings. The ones Ive met had personality disorders, OCD and an attending who had an erratic personality who would be in his office at midnight. These folks unsurprisingly have trouble securing a job.

I am sorry that my does of reality causes so much shock. similar thoughts by others are at www.sermo.com in the pathology section. no one there that I know of has ever said the field was "peaches and cream" or just bubbling over with m "full and plenty" most on that board are "in the trenches" and practice in the community. their viewpoint is NOT the same as academic types that see a very small spectrum of the field. if the academics have painted a rosy picture then it is not realistic. to me if you want pathology and just want to do research then be content for about 80K in salary which what an R -O 1 pays. maybe that is more than enough for you. but ask this: if I did Hem path and signed out Flow cytometer patterns all day and made about 100K at a University hospital , then would I be more content with IM Boards as a Clinical hematologist who makes about 400K and sees live patients. that Clinical hematologist can still look at Flow cytometer and even read their own bone marrows. they still be in charge of the lab under CLIA . so would you rather be a Clinician who also does some diagnostic work ? or, would you rather stay in pathology with limited re-imbursement from Medicare and the insurance companies and/or find that your outfit was sold out to a large mill like Quest or lab corp only to find limited job prospects. so ask which would you rather do? all the best sorry if I "jarred some nerves" or some pre-conceived notions look to www.sermo.com and net work their among practicing pathologist and what the real life practice situation is. do not just listen to what faculty or academic types tell you. again all the best .

I have no idea where you get your numbers about private practice salaries. Not a lot of reality there.

I also have no idea why you haven't been able to find a job after 9 years but might I suggest that it is not totally the pathology job market's fault there? We are going through the hiring process now. There are some excellent candidates out there, and some fairly weak candidates. You may think it is an awful thing that weak candidates have a hard time finding excellent jobs, not everyone agrees with this. Maybe you're a strong candidate, I don't know. The job market has changed significantly in the last 10-15 years. True private partnership jobs are becoming less common. Employed jobs are becoming more common (not just reference lab jobs but large health systems employing docs). But the salaries are not $100-120k.

Please slow down with posting the same information over and over again. Make your points and move on.

For those reporting posts: You don't always see actions taken behind the scenes. People are entitled to post opinions even if they are unpopular. If the same thing continues to be posted over and over again, please report again.

I know. They have made me question choosing Pathology. There are just too many negative posts. I may have to choose something else.

Geez. You say the same doom/gloom in many posts. The key to findings a job is not having poor social skills/communication skills. That is usually the problem with peeps who have so much training or experience and can't get a job. You way over hype how bad the market is. It took me 3 months to find a job during my single fellowship. I just started in July and I am quite happy in pathology. For other peeps, don't let this one dude who is going bonkers stop you from going into pathology.

Are you sure? There are so many people that come on here and say the job market is terrible (even for normal, hardworking, intelligent candidates).

I am sorry that my does of reality causes so much shock. similar thoughts by others are at www.sermo.com in the pathology section. no one there that I know of has ever said the field was "peaches and cream" or just bubbling over with m "full and plenty" most on that board are "in the trenches" and practice in the community. their viewpoint is NOT the same as academic types that see a very small spectrum of the field. if the academics have painted a rosy picture then it is not realistic. to me if you want pathology and just want to do research then be content for about 80K in salary which what an R -O 1 pays. maybe that is more than enough for you. but ask this: if I did Hem path and signed out Flow cytometer patterns all day and made about 100K at a University hospital , then would I be more content with IM Boards as a Clinical hematologist who makes about 400K and sees live patients. that Clinical hematologist can still look at Flow cytometer and even read their own bone marrows. they still be in charge of the lab under CLIA . so would you rather be a Clinician who also does some diagnostic work ? or, would you rather stay in pathology with limited re-imbursement from Medicare and the insurance companies and/or find that your outfit was sold out to a large mill like Quest or lab corp only to find limited job prospects. so ask which would you rather do? all the best sorry if I "jarred some nerves" or some pre-conceived notions look to www.sermo.com and net work their among practicing pathologist and what the real life practice situation is. do not just listen to what faculty or academic types tell you. again all the best .

After reading your incoherent wall of text, I wouldn't even consider hiring you if you desperately needed a job. Not even for 50K/year. I am willing to even look past your supposed three fellowships, too. Not. Worth. It.

Are you sure? There are so many people that come on here and say the job market is terrible (even for normal, hardworking, intelligent candidates).
Anyone who is posting anonymously on an internet chat board, you have to take what they say with a grain of salt. I say that's more true for posters who come on with a particular agenda and/or have relatively few posts. Consistent long-term posters, them I trust much more, even if I don't always agree with their views. Try to talk to as many people as you know in the real world who are pathologists, and weigh what they have to say about the job market.