Future Advancements in Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neon Goat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the practicing anesthesiology residents and attendings, I was hoping you could discuss some of the interesting advancements to the field you see coming in the next 10-20 years.

As an MS2, I'm interested in anesthesiology and at the same time I don't understand the field enough to speculate on aspects of it that will likely advance in interesting ways in the future. I feel that I can at least guess for certain other specialties: primary care more genetics incorporated, surgery more robotics, rads more interventional - you know, the standard answers on the future of these fields. But because even medical students are in general uninformed about the details of anesthesiology, I was hoping you could discuss an area or two of your field that you expect to see some fascinating advancements in over the next couple of decades.

BTW, thanks for a great forum.

Members don't see this ad.

This little guy is already being used. Fits in the palm of your hand.

cardiac3_4.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
There have been a lot of advancements in Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, but I'm not sure if the benefits are greater than the risk. These patients still feel a considerable amount of pain post op.

Germany seems to be one of the leaders in this field.

Off pump LVAD

Wow, that is amazing. Can you talk a little bit about the challenges of anesthesia in relation to this procedure. It's probably obvious to many, but I'm still in the classroom and don't know much.