1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Studying for the DAT, GRE, OAT or PCAT? Test Prep Week Exhibitors are here to help!

Future anesthesia job market ?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by wtyson, Mar 25, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.

Do you recommend going into Anesthesia (projected residency graduation in 2019)

1. Yes

79 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. No

57 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. not sure, too hard to predict

75 vote(s)
    35.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Baller MD

Baller MD 7+ Year Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Just because you love it doesn't mean doom and gloom doesn't exists.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. IkeBoy18

IkeBoy18 ASA Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 13, 2005
    im an amesthesia resident. im saying between the grim field outlook and my high interest in EM, maybe i didnt make the right choice.

Baller MD likes this.
  4. chocomorsel

chocomorsel Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Then switch Ike Boy. Sounds like you are an intern. However, there is a lot of crap that EM docs have to deal with. Pressure from administration to move the meat and see so many patients per hour. Belligerent, angry, drunk, psychotic, high as a kite patients. The smell. The patients who abuse the system and come in for the common cold and flu, and gastroenteritis and stupid things. There is also a lot of encroachment from the midlevels as well.

Maybe your best bet would be to do an ICU fellowship when done if you want to deal with the sicker patients and differential diagnoses and treatments.

You will get to spend plenty of time in the ED as an ICU doc evaluating patients.

SevoLution and Cpt Ahab like this.
  5. blahblah56

blahblah56 7+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    4th year USIMG here, board scores are pretty competitive (249 step 1, step 2 pending). Knowing that IMGs matching Ortho/ENT/Uro is extremely difficult, which residency would you go for if you could go back, Anesthesia, GS or Rads?

6. 2ndyear

2ndyear Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 11, 2002
    New England
    Good job on the scores. General surgery is the only specialty out of the 3 you listed that owns patients. Hospital based specialties are changing pretty rapidly in regards to whom employs you, be it anesthesia, radiology, EM, etc.. The answer is seemingly large management companies. The only problem is you have to do a surgery residency, but if you can stick that out it certainly seems like a good option.

7. Notorious T.E.E.

Notorious T.E.E.

Feb 9, 2016
    Do you have a source for this? I haven't seen this stat before.

8. Mad Jack

Mad Jack Critically Caring Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2013
    4th Dimension
    GS has become quite competitive in recent years, it's a much longer shot for an IMG than anesthesia or rads.

9. caligas

caligas ASA Member 5+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2012
    >$1 mil/partner?

10. aneftp

aneftp 7+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Way more than 1 mil. More than 2....

Remember ACT models lucrative groups can sell out more per partner than all MD groups. It's just simple math. Less MDs to spread the wealth.

11. Mman

Mman Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2005
    They can only sell out more if they were earning more per partner in the first place. But yes in a well run group they should earn more than an all MD group.

12. gasdoc77

gasdoc77 2+ Year Member

Dec 7, 2012
    If anyone has personal experience (or expertise) in practice valuations, can you PM me? The subject has come up in our group amongst some of the older partners (despite the wishes of the younger partners) and I would at least like to be able to sit at the table with as much knowledge as possible of comparable sales, what valuations are based upon, and the impact it may have on future earnings. Needless to say, I would prefer to get the information from people who have been on the sell side of the transaction as opposed to the buy side (to minimize bias). Thank you in advance.

13. Stank811

Stank811 Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Just checking in like I said I would.

14. mmag

mmag Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 19, 2006
    General reading:
    What’s Your Anesthesia Group Worth? And Why it Might Not Make Any Difference. | Anesthesia Business Consultants
    How To Get The Maximum Price For The Sale Of Your Anesthesiology Practice | Anesthesiastat
    Articles & Presentations | Haverford Healthcare Advisors

15. Consigliere

Consigliere 7+ Year Member

May 28, 2008
    Neither here nor there
    Your point being what? That I was right?

QueenJames likes this.