Future CCOM MSI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moghal

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I will be starting CCOM this fall and I have a few questions for those of you who are already there, or for others who may be starting also. I just came across this site...it is terrific! I wish I had found it earlier.
I am wondering if, for an MSI, is a car a necessity? Or can it become a headache? I am coming from Virginia, so it is quite a distance to be driving, but if it has to be done I am willing. I am mainly concerned on a day to day basis as a first year, would a car make life easier. I will be living on campus, I got a room at the last minute.
Also, speaking of rooms, I belive I will be in the traditional residence hall. How are the rooms arranged? What is included in them? When I was up there for an interview it was raining, so we cut it short and by-passed the residence halls. Most likely I will be in a double, since that is all that is available. Do you any of you have any advice in that area?
Do you feel a meal plan is more economical than trying to cook while living in the residence halls?
Also, I didn't notice a dress code while I visited for my interview, but I could have been mistaken. Are there any stipulations on the dress of the med students? As a first year, will I be needing any professional attire?
Sorry for all of the questions at once, but I just want to be prepared. I would appreciate any input on these areas. Also, if there are any future CCOM MSI's out there, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks

Sarah

(Moghal is just my user name)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Sarah,

Its good to hear from another CCOMer. I can really only answer a couple of your questions since I will also be starting in the fall. For one, though, there is no dress code. I am pretty sure of that. Second, it would probably be useful to have a car since I have a feeling we might do a little clinical work at the hospital. Not sure about that one though. As far as housing, I have a question for you. When did you find out about the room? They offered me a double also, but I turned it down hoping that something else would come up. Nothing yet so I might be looking for an apartment. DO you think you will be able to handle the roomate. Personally, that worried me a little. Once again, its good to hear from you.

Josh

Sarah,
I am coming from Colorado and have decided to take my car. I just returned from Downers Grove and I really don't think a car is a necessity. While driving around, I noticed that traffic can be quite bad because of road construction. I'm taking my car for convenience (grocery shopping, visit friends in Chicago, etc.). I am also living off campus (but within a 5 min. bike ride) so a car may be more important for me. If you don't take your car, I'm sure other MSI's (including myself) who have cars will be willing to help if you need a ride.

Josh,
I was also assigned a double and declined for fear of a possible loss of sanity. I was told that I had no chance of getting any type of single. I found this info out in mid May.

**By the way, when are you moving out to IL? I'll be there in late July so I can explore the city and get misc. odds and ends taken care of prior to classes.
Scott
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)

If i were you i would bring a car. You may not use it that much if you are on campus, but there will be times that you will be very thankfull to have it. It is impossible to go anywhere without one.

If you choose to participate in the student run shadowing program, it will be nice to have a car also(ie to get to the various hospitals).

There is no dress code at all. I don't know much about the dorms as I live off campus, bu t i do know that they are smallish (300-400 square feet.) The cafeteria charges $5.60 for meals and is okay in terms of quality. You neccessarily need "professional attire" in terms of a suit and stuff. If you have one, why not bring it. Occassionaly the opportunity will arise to wear it at some sort of function. You will need ties, shirts and stuff for the ICM simulated patient workshops. You will also need this stuff if you choose to do the physician shadowing program.

Johan Aasbo
MSII CCOM

Scott,

It sounds as if you have already found a spot to stay at. I was wondering the cost and quality of the place. A five minute bike ride is a lot closer than what I was thinking I would have to get, so that is why I am interested. I actually have a fellow CCOMer sending me an apartment list which should help a lot, as well. I hope to find a place sometime in July and move in by early August. I am still waiting on my financial aid papers, though, so I really don't have any money yet if you know what I mean. I hope to move in around early August. Maybe catch a game at Wrigley, even though I hate the Cubs.
smile.gif

Johan, did your class have much problems with receiving info on financial aid. It's taking them so long.

i remember getting my financial aid stuff in mid July or so. Don't worry there is adequate time for loan apps. My advice is to get your stafford and or alternative loan apps now, and when you get the financial aid stuff from school, send it out the next day. It all will work out fine. You will come to find that many things at CCOM are done right at the cusp of being last minute.

Josh,
I did sign a lease to begin July 1. I made a trip to Downers Grove and looked at apartments suggested by RELCON (a free apt. finding group). I had some trouble finding a place close to campus for a reasonable price (although I'm not quite sure what constitutes "reasonable" in Downers...definitely more expensive here than what I'm used to!). I was fortunate enough to see an ad for a studio while on campus, so I called and signed the lease. The studio is in a nice neighborhood and is actually a very decent size. I am paying $650 (includes gas,electricity,cable,etc.) I know that there were two 1 Br apts. available when I signed my lease. If you are still looking, send an e-mail to my address and I can provide you with the contact name and number. Scott
P.S. I just received my financial aid award letter, and I too hate the Cubs.

Is anyone taking out the full amount of loans they can this year?
Johan, do you know of anyone who travels to/from the hospitals &/or clinics for 'shadowing' via bus or cab?
PS- I am not to fond of the Cubs either!
smile.gif

I'm actually going to see the Mets play the Braves tonight!

I finally received the award letter today. I was afraid it would get lost in the mail like my housing application did. To answer your question, Danny, it looks as if I will take out the maximum in financial aid plus a little extra from another private loaner to cover it all... I really don't have a choice. How 'bout you. Do any of you know which of the lenders they offer is the best suited or does it really matter.

Scott, thanks for the offer. I might try and use your contact a little later. I am still in the midst of seeing if the housing department will find me anything. They said since they screwed up mailing me the application on time that they will try and work something out. Problem is they keep offering me a double which I really don't want.

Josh

If you do not want to use your entire loan amount you simply write a check to your lender for the difference. Remember it's the interest that kills you!!!!!!!!!1

Josh AKA IUHOOSIER

Congradulations on your acceptance. Do you live in Bloomington? If so, I'd like to talk to you about your experience getting in to med school.

Thanks..

AZO,

I don't live in Bloomington now. I graduated in December and am back home in Indy. Are you down there? Why don't you email me with some of the questions you have. I should be able to help you with all the good and plenty of bad of the IU pre med experience.

Josh

Josh,
I called the school the other day and they basically said the lender really didn't matter since they all have to comply with a "set" of rules. I picked Midwestern as the lender b/c the financial aid office said most students do it that way. I was also advised to pay the interest off as I go and not after school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The difference between the stafford loaning bodies is in how much of the initial fees they charge is refunded when you graduate (bad english i know). Most loans will charge you a 3 or 4% "garuntee" fee. Some loan programs will refund some of this garuntee fee. If you borrow the max for four years, this will equate to a couple of thousand dollars you get back just after graduation.

A comment about paying off the interest thing. I would not bother to do this in school. If you have the income to pay the interest while in school, why borrow the extra money. it would be much simpler to take a smaller loan and use that income to supplement what you borrow.

Perhaps what you are refereing to is paying the interest on your loans while you are a resident. Loan payments will be around, or upwards of $2K a month. paying this will be $24K per year. Your average resident makes about $40K per year. That leaves $16K per year before taxes to live on-do able if you have no family or your husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend has equal or greater income.

I would advise looking into other stafford loaners other than Midwestern's affiliate bank. Not that it is neccesarily a bad deal, but you may be able to get something better. Remember that while there are federal regulations on the terms of stafford loans, there is still some flexibility in their terms, namely in the refunding of garuntee fees. The market for stafford loans is both lucrative and very competitive for banks, so there are huge market forces at work within the narrow margin of flexibility in the loan terms. Shop around a bit.

Johan

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all the advice and comments. As far as the room, I was told via a phone conversation with the office of residence life that I will be given a room but it will be a double. This was about a week and a half ago. She also told me that if I want a single I could be placed on a waiting list, but there are no guarantees.
I will take the double, I figured that it would be easier to live on campus and finacially it is better. Any thoughts on living in a double? Hopefully it won't be too horrific.
I am also waiting on the financial aid office. Is there anyone who only took out the max loans thru fin. aid, and didn't turn to a private lender? The reason I am asking is I wonder can one survive only on the $38,500 with CCOM's tuition?
Also, where do most of you CCOMers bank? In Downers Grove, or do you keep your accounts from home. I wonder how the banks in DG are.
Thanks,

Sarah

Sarah,

I am going to take out the max. amount from financial aid. They also gave me some from the Perkins loan. All of that added to working this summer should be enough as long as I stay under a strict budget. Don't think I'll have time to do much anyway.

Hey all-

I'm happy and proud to say that i'll be joining you all this fall. I just got the call from the admissions director today that i'm off the waiting-list. They're going to send me the paperwork next week to make it official. The call didn't come at a better time b/c i was all set to go to uhs in a couple of weeks. Anyways, i just wanted to say hi. Also, i'm probably way too late to get on-campus housing so what are the prices like for housing off-campus. In addition, anyone need a roommate to share in a 2 bdr apt?

P.S. hey danny, football season is just around the corner!! How about them knicks? Next year my lakers will be in the finals though.
And johan thanks for the advice, it really helped.

-tommy
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by TP (edited July 10, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by TP (edited July 10, 1999).]

Hey congrats!

I remember talking to you, i am glad it worked out for the best.

See you in the fall.

Johan

Congratulations Tommy!

That has to feel great. I am not the expert yet on housing, but I received a little info and what I've seen so far has not been great. I found studios for around 600 to 650. Once I get a chance, I will really look for prices and see if there are any better. By the way, since you are saying blasphemis words on this site (like Knicks or Lakers), I will have to accidently twist your head a little too hard in OMM. The strain should go away though in a couple of months. Since my Pacers sucked it up AGAIN, I guess its off to baseball now. Reds sure look good.

Josh

Congrats!! I remember how you told me how much you wanted to attend CCOM. Glad ya got it.
PS- We could continue to debate whether the Knicks are better than the Lakers. But, we have to hurry up before Ewing retires or Spree 'gets mad' at Van Gundy!!

For those of you that are on the waiting list for a room on campus, you might want to check on it. I was just offered a single in the traditional hall. I am very relieved because I don't have to worry about finding an apartment any more. Just thought you'd like to know for your own reference.

josh

[This message has been edited by IUHoosier (edited July 13, 1999).]

Hey all-
I have a couple of questions and i was wondering if anybody can help answer them.

1) I was just curious when everybody is planning to move into the dorms? I called ccom and they told me that the earliest for myself will be aug. 28th. Is this the same date they gave everyone?

2) Does anybody know what's the phone situation like in the traditional residence hall. Are we suppose to set up our own telephone service or did the school already set it up and then the school will bill us? Plus, are there public phones on any of the floors.

3) I haven't recieved my schedule yet, has anyone? It might be that since i got accepted so late it'll be awhile before i get all of the paperwork. The reason i ask is b/c i was just curious on which classes i'll be taking and if i can use any of my undergrad books for some of the basic sciences. Also, how long will we be in class per day. I heard a rumor that class is 9-5 everyday which seems rather extreme. Please tell me that this rumor is wrong.

thanks

i don't remember when i got my schedule-it may have been at orientation. The CCOM catalog gives a list of the classes you will take but not when.

Here is how i remember it:

Exams are Mondays and Wednesdays at 7:30am. Classes start on those days at 9am. On the other days, classes start at 8:00am. the first quarter classes are: Histo, Gross, Biochem, OMM, History of Medicine, Intro to Clinical Med. I don't think I am forgetting anything. Gross is Mon, Wed, Fri. Lecture starts at one, just after lunch. at or after 2pm lab starts and lasts untill five. sometimes you get out of lab early, sometimes late. It all depends on your table group. You are assigned to dissect 2 of the 3 days of the week. The third day you can go home or stick around and watch. Most people leave as having more than four people can be a crowd. You will probably spend a lot of Saturdays and Sundays in lab too.

Gross dominates your first and second quarters. Histo is time consuming and involves memorizing lots of slides of different tissue. Biochem is rigorous first term and then eases up second term. History of Medicine is pleasant but entirely un-serious. OMM is every wednesday from 8am to 12 noon-all year long. The OMM department has quizes every wednesday at 8am. They are based upon the previous weeks classes. ICM is great fun. first quarter they start teaching the patient interview(ie soap notes, etc). first quarter you do two interviews with simulated patients (ie people who go around to the various med schools in chicago and are paid to emulate sick people with specific afflictions). You learn how to use your stethoscope, BP cuff, diagnostic kit, etc.

Your schedule will be pretty much class or lab from 8 or 9 till 4 or 5. One day a week you will not have gross lab and therefore you will be able to leave at 2 or 2:30. Those are great days to get your car oil changed or go to the grocery store. Except for the first two weeks of class, there are two exams pretty much every week.

Johan, I can't thank you enough for your help through this summer. You've been extremely helpful. I know I had my own questions about our schedule. One more question, though. I received info on AMSA-CCOM, and noticed you are the president (impressive). I was wondering what it entails if I apply, and some benefits. I read the pamphlet so I don't expect you to repeat yourself, I was just wondering your honest opinion. I did notice there is an international program for the summer. If you know any info on that I would be greatful. Thanks again...

TP,
I have not received a schedule either so you are not alone. I also read where we were supposed to receive a schedule of events from the Student Services in early July that would give more info on orientation. Did you receive that. I will probably be moving in sometime that weekend of the 28th. That way I can get relaxed and also catch a ball game in Chicago. Are you interested? See ya soon.

Josh

hey josh-

All i've recieved is the financial aid packet, marticulation/ medical packet, and the housing. I called ccom today and they said that they haven't finalized the schedule yet and that most likely it won't be handed out till orientation.

I just reserved my plane tickets today. I'm going to be flying in on august 28th and then I'll move in sometime on saturday or sunday. I'm definitely down to watch the cubbies. We should also all hang out in chicago and play some ball before school starts.

-tom

[This message has been edited by TP (edited July 27, 1999).]

iuhoosier,

sorry i didn't get back sooner...

I will try my best not to make this a sales pitch.
We started AMSA-CCOM this past spring. We think that it fills a nice spot on campus that none of the other clubs cover: we are attempting to address grass-roots political issues and stir up interest in activism. We only just got started so we don't have the whole class on our membership rosters (yet), but we have some good things in mind. We had a seminar this past spring on domestic violence and the primary care physician. Some issues addressed were how to identify victims of domestic abuse, domestic abuse and children, resources available to physicians who have patients who are victims of domestic abuse, etc.

Some things we have planned for the Fall and the rest of the year are: 1) an OMT seminar for AMSA students from other area med schools (ie Loyola, Rush, etc). 2) Seminar on resident abuse, 3) seminar on physician assisted suicide 4) seminar on primary care of the future and the roles of physician and nonphysician healthcare providers. In addition we are working on building a web site and compiling a comprehensive an accurate compilation of CCOM grads and where they did their residencies. To our astonishment, the later is something that the school is not entirely serious about (our view is that this is a tremendous resource when we are looking to contact people at residency programs we are considering applying to).

There is another letter coming to you guys about AMSA-CCOM. It will be included with a mailing from the school that should be sent out this week. The mailing will have stuff from the anatomy dept. as well as other campus clubs.

Sincerely,

Johan

Johan,

Thank you very much for the info. That helps a great deal, and the sales pitch worked. I don't see how joining such an organization would do anything but be beneficial. I'm glad to hear the school is going to send something about other programs this week. I must say, I was wondering if we would hear about anything before we got to orientation.
Where are the others that post on here planning on attending CCOM. I am interested in seeing how your summer is going and what we are going to do once we get to school. TP, a game of bball sound good. Hopefully, the Reds are playing the Cubs while were there. If not, though, I'd still be very willing to go and watch them get beat. HE HE

Josh

Hi everyone,
Its so nice to hear from so many people attending CCOM! I will be starting this fall too. I am living in the traditional residence dorms in a single. I'm thinking about moving in on Aug. 28 because I'm coming from New Jersey and will probably do most of my big shopping there so I don't have to bring everything from home.
Does anyone have an advice about laptops? Are they necessary? Also, about the meal plan, do we have to sign up for that ahead of time and is it a must or do we have a choice of whether or not we want it?
I'm really excited about coming out-I've yet to check out Chicago and I'll have a car so anyone interested in taking a look around-I would love some company.

Rakhee

My advice for computers is this. A laptop is not essential at all. If you buy one you will be spending a good deal of money for a machine of lesser performance. If you have lots of money and desperately want portability, then go ahead and get one. Otherwise you will get a lot more bang for the buck with a desktop. Having a desktop at home has helped me to an extent. I do not use it so much for hard core studying, but it is nice for communication and finding reference material on the internet (ie medscape, medline, etc).

The meal plan issue is this: if you buy a meal plan you get something like a five dollar break for the entire term. In return, you are locked into eating on campus. If you do not use the meal that you paid for on that day, then you loose it. It is not worth it in my opinion.