Future Colleagues - What is your opinion?

Started by hexane19
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Which colleague would you respect more?

  • US DO

  • Carb MD


Results are only viewable after voting.

hexane19

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,
I've been accepted into a few US DO schools. However, I have this nagging thought that I've put in some much time at schools (undergrad and SMP) aiming for an MD degree.
I've come to the conclusion that I am content going to a US DO school.

However, I am asking my future colleagues.... what future colleague would YOU RESPECT more:
US DO
Carb MD
 
It all depends on their character. If they're kind, compassionate and do a good job, they'll earn my respect. I expect them to likewise judge me.

That said, US residency program directors will "respect" US DO grads much more than Carib grads. This is obvious.


If you're choosing a Caribbean school over a DO school, you are making a likely grave and poorly informed decision.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
However, I am asking my future colleagues.... what future colleague would YOU RESPECT more:
US DO
Carb MD

Is neither an option? :wacky: lol jk

US MDs, US DOs, FMGs, Carib MDs... for me, it's a case by case basis. Is (s)he empathetic and does (s)he do a good job with integrity?

For the general public, however, they might not know what a DO is but they sure do know what an MD is without knowing much about where the MD actually came from
 
Don't fall for the trap, OP. I'd hate to see anyone choose Carib based on a totally misguided notion that MDs are more worthy of respect than DOs (who can practice in the exact same ways!) and then end up hundreds of thousands of $ in debt with no residency match.

You're going to be doctor! Congratulations! I understand your feelings of disappointment but you haven't failed. You worked hard to become a doctor and that's what you're going to be. If the MD title means more to you, then you mustn't really want it.
 
I'm getting a massive whiff of

upload_2016-1-19_14-55-38.jpeg


You already know the answer to this. if you don't try using the search function.

For you, I strongly recommend the Carib (not Carb) route.





Hi All,
I've been accepted into a few US DO schools. However, I have this nagging thought that I've put in some much time at schools (undergrad and SMP) aiming for an MD degree.
I've come to the conclusion that I am content going to a US DO school.

However, I am asking my future colleagues.... what future colleague would YOU RESPECT more:
US DO
Carb MD
 
Folks..... THIS IS NOT A DO VS CARIB THREAD with regard to which I should attend.

THIS IS ABOUT RESPECT AND VIEWING A FELLOW COLLEAGUE.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly, I care a lot more about my debt and my patients and my life than where my colleagues went to school.

But you are a lot more likely to be my colleague if you go DO

Edit: And I would respect a good carib grad over a HMS alum if the HMS grad were a jerk
 
Folks..... THIS IS NOT A DO VS CARIB THREAD with regard to which I should attend.

THIS IS ABOUT RESPECT AND VIEWING A FELLOW COLLEAGUE.

I'm not sure you get it. It's not about the degree, it's about the person. Judging a person based on their degree is pretty dumb.
 
There's nothing wrong with DO's. I've worked with many of them in past and in reality, they practice no different than MDs. I've observed interactions between the two; they are not treated any differently by their MD counterparts.
 
In the words of a doc I shadowed recently (very well known surgeon, MD): "I don't give a damn if someone went to Harvard or some DO school in Montana. I just want to know if you are going to kill my patients."
 
Where did they do residency/fellowship?

Precisely. If you take either of these routes and you end up at a solid residency program (in whichever field you chose) then I have nothing but respect for you (unless of course you're a db)... in fact there's also some level of admiration along with it because you've likely overcome much greater obstacles to get there than a US MD.
 
Folks..... THIS IS NOT A DO VS CARIB THREAD with regard to which I should attend.

THIS IS ABOUT RESPECT AND VIEWING A FELLOW COLLEAGUE.

No, this is about your own self doubt. You are wondering if you made the right choice of DO versus a Caribbean MD. As others have said, this is a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum and the answer is DO every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
 
I don't think where you go to school matters at all in terms of respect from your future colleagues. ALL that matters is how good you actually are at your job, and your reputation will precede you. However, to get to that point, you're going to have to make it to residency, which is infinitely harder (seriously, by orders of magnitude) for a Caribbean MD.

I am speaking exclusively from experience in perioperative care, so it may be completely different in medicine. But I've worked with hundreds of surgeons and anesthesiologists in my career. I used to be surprised when I found out who was a Caribbean grad and who trained at NYU or Mass Gen. Nothing surprises me anymore. Top programs graduate meh physicians, and no name programs graduate some really fantastic physicians.

I'm sure pedigree matters more in other fields, and pedigree certainly matters just getting into more competitive fields, but at the end of the day all your colleagues will care about is how good you are at what you do. You'll know you have their respect when they're bringing their own family members to you.
 
No, this is about your own self doubt. You are wondering if you made the right choice of DO versus a Caribbean MD. As others have said, this is a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum and the answer is DO every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Are you an idiot or dumb@ss that can't read? I'm just curious about the opinions of future allopaths.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Folks..... THIS IS NOT A DO VS CARIB THREAD with regard to which I should attend.

THIS IS ABOUT RESPECT AND VIEWING A FELLOW COLLEAGUE.
No, this is about your own self doubt. You are wondering if you made the right choice of DO versus a Caribbean MD. As others have said, this is a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum and the answer is DO every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Are you an idiot or dumb@ss that can't read? I'm just curious about the opinions of future allopaths.
What's a matter? A lady can't say the word "idiot" or "*******". Call me a dike or feminist but other members have said worse...

oh_the_irony_by_jteaser.jpg
 
I don't need to reiterate all the arguments against Carib. But on the flip side, if someone went to Carib, got past the gauntlets of attribution, steps, matching, etc., and still managed to come back to practice in US, it is deserving of some respect despite the initial poor choice.

in before the thread gets locked and OP gets banned
 
If respect is all we're talking about here then you're getting into medicine for the wrong reasons. My reasons aren't exactly noble, but getting a medical degree for the respect isn't even realistic.

:troll:
 
Are you an idiot or dumb@ss that can't read? I'm just curious about the opinions of future allopaths.

The only reason that you are curious is because you have self-doubt about going DO vs Caribbean MD just so you'd have the MD behind your name. Let's not ignore the question you are really asking. As for the first sentence, well, it looks like you have alot of growing up to do...
 
If I'm reading the question right, you are asking who would I respect more between the 2 after they have completed medical school, correct? You are not asking which process or training do I respect more. Correct? I would have to say,once they both finished school ( passed board exams etc.), I would have the same respect for both of them. I respect the license the same. If you were able to complete and pass the boards (coming from a Caribbean school),that's fine. I guess the process itself is so uncertain that it just sounds like such a terrible risk to take.
 
Literally. Ross SOM is owned by the DeVry parent company lol
Wow, I don't know why these scam institutions exist. And I'm ashamed to say that I actually went to the Ross website because I saw it advertised literally everywhere and I wanted to check it out. That should have been a red flag right there with the over-advertising and everything.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have to admit, I've never really explored Caribbean medical schools. I will say that I know 3 people personally that went to great undergrad institutions in the USA, went to med school in the Caribbean and are now working in NY hospitals as residents. They are also under the age of 30. I guess it worked out for them. I don't know the particulars but I do know
- they are working as doctors now
-when I asked them they said they went to school in Greneda.


So maybe for some people it works out. Idk.

I didn't realize there was such a stigma about it until I came to this site. Thank you for letting me know. I always had in the back of my mind that if I didn't get in med school here, I would just go overseas. Didn't realize the risk and terrible reputation that's attached to it. See, I actually learned something on SDN
 
I have to admit, I've never really explored Caribbean medical schools. I will say that I know 3 people personally that went to great undergrad institutions in the USA, went to med school in the Caribbean and are now working in NY hospitals as residents. They are also under the age of 30. I guess it worked out for them. I don't know the particulars but I do know
- they are working as doctors now
-when I asked them they said they went to school in Greneda.


So maybe for some people it works out. Idk.

I didn't realize there was such a stigma about it until I came to this site. Thank you for letting me know. I always had in the back of my mind that if I didn't get in med school here, I would just go overseas. Didn't realize the risk and terrible reputation that's attached to it. See, I actually learned something on SDN
http://www.durbin.senate.gov/newsro...gn-medical-schools-are-held-to-same-standards

And people are pushing to make it impossible to use federal loans to pay for Carib med schools. Would not want to be halfway through school and lose my only source of funding/have my school get shut down