Future Equine Vets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dottoressa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Future Equine Vets.
Just curious to know if you are learning much in vet school about equine hoof form and function. Have you been exposed to hoofcare theories and methods? Have you heard about research from the MSU Equine Foot Laboratory (Dr. Robert Bowker) or the University of Queensland (Dr. Chris Pollitt)? Are you learning anything about natural hoofcare, diet and the hooves, hoof boots, transitioning from shoes to barefoot, etc.?
Hope all is going well for you this year :)
-D

Members don't see this ad.

In vet school you learn all the basics about the hoof- anatomy, histology, pathology, disease, treatment, prevention, basic corrective shoeing for problems, etc.

If you want to learn above and beyond, many AAEP (american assoc equine practioners) clubs will do lectures and workshops on that kind of stuff.

At Auburn, every year that I've been here they have held equine weekend continuing education workshops for vets and students are allowed to come. My 1st yr they did one on hoof care and it was pretty neat. They brought in hooves of wild horses and showed how different/better they are than our horses :oops:) They also talked about different methods of shoeing, etc

I'm not an equine person, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents