Future For Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

queenskillers

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i heard that there are way too many dentists graduating and opening practices in the metro areas like new york city........i plan to open a practice in nyc also.......how does the future look? will there be dentists everywhere by then (8 more years)?......if so, how is long island? are opportunities better there?.....also, how is new jersey?......thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No worries:

For every one dentist graduating, three are retiring on average. Some states like Arizona and Nevada have rates as high as 10 dentists retiring for every one new fresh dentist coming in. The only state that doesn't have such a shortage is Utah, but even they have some areas that need big help in the dental field.

DesiDentist

:D

you could always move to england, they would KILL for dentists over there... search google news for dentist and you will find a million articles about NHS dentist shortages.

Members don't see this ad :)
yah but you'd have to live in England :thumbdown:

Not that I am seriously considering it, but how would an american trained dentist work in England? What licensure issues are there? It is not my plan, but it would be amazing to live in London.

Once I had conversation with england dental student and as far as I remember he said that if you trained in england will have to go to school in US for 2 years and get licenced but if you trained in US as a dentist all you have to do is get licenced by exam. May be I am wrong or I might have made mistake in understaning him. Also he said that they go to dental school right after high school for 4 years and they have BDS and they can practice with BDS. Can anybody else elaborate on this.

I wonder if NHS dentists are paid competitively though.

edkNARF said:
Not that I am seriously considering it, but how would an american trained dentist work in England? What licensure issues are there? It is not my plan, but it would be amazing to live in London.

You would think so wouldnt ya? Sure it would be great to visit, but live in? You gotta be kidding! The standard of living in London is horrible.....everything there is about 2.5 times the amount here. Take a movie for instance.....$20 to see a movie! :eek: $10 for an omelette!!!!! ANd they make a similar amount of money as we do but pay twice the costs for goods.......appreciate what you have in North America and leave London for the travel itins.....

sxr71 said:
I wonder if NHS dentists are paid competitively though.

What is NHS? I am not familiar with this term.

Dr.BadVibes-I will agree with you that London has a very high cost of living. That does not preclude the fact that it is one of the premier cultural capitals of the world. The city itself is older than the USA. I would find it equally interesting to live in Paris, Berlin, Vienna, Florence, Rome, etc. These places have been around a long time, and have much to offer.

edkNARF said:
What is NHS? I am not familiar with this term.

Dr.BadVibes-I will agree with you that London has a very high cost of living. That does not preclude the fact that it is one of the premier cultural capitals of the world. The city itself is older than the USA. I would find it equally interesting to live in Paris, Berlin, Vienna, Florence, Rome, etc. These places have been around a long time, and have much to offer.

NHS stands for National Health Service.....in England they have socialized medicine, similar to what we have in Canada, but their coverage includes dental care whereas ours does not.

About London......oh I definitely agree that London is a world class city, but when you say "live in", I am thinking permanently.....like working, raising a family, etc......now this would not be advisable.......as far as travelling....of course, London is great! And if you really want to experience the culture and whatnot, live there for a short period of time......not a long!

When I lived in England, everytime I told someone I was from Canada the next response they would say is "why the hell would you come to England"......and I got offered twice on separate instances to sneak people back in my luggage :laugh:

Dr.BadVibes said:
appreciate what you have in North America and leave London for the travel itins.....

For once I might be inclined to agree with you. On my way back from London in March I was reading an interesting article that profiled two families: one that moved to London from the US (a physician and his wife) and one that moved to Texas from London (a banker and his kids). The banker, needless to say, said he wouldn't move back to England for anything. The only thing he misses are the sandwiches. The socialized health care? WHO CARES he says, you save so much in taxes and make so much more in wages that you can easily pay for superb private coverage.

The other family said things along the lines of "it's tough and this is definitely not a permanent decision to live in London". This article focused on the financial aspects and was in a London newspaper.

But as a young student, how awesome would it be to live in London for a year or so? If you read the eurotrip forums people are always saying how they loved London more than any other city they have lived in. I would tend to agree, it's awesome but damn is it expensive. If I go to Penn they let us have international rotations, some in London.

Cheers,
Marshall