future LPN? need help with future!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tr550210

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will soon be receiving a biology degree with a minor in chemistry. I plan on going to DO school eventually but first I would like to take a few years off, earn as much money as possible during that span, and get some experience under my belt. My top choices in the job market are EKG technician, MRI technician, radiology technician, or a licensed practical nurse (LPN). I know all of them require certifications and some training programs, but I also know with a biology degree I will be able to take an accelerated course in many cases. So basically my questions are:

1) what my next step should be
2) What are the quickest/most efficient way to receive a certification/necessary training for each of the positions above?

Also if you would recommend taking another path instead of the ones listed above that would also be nice! I know this is a lot to ask but it would be very appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd just go to DO school ASAP and get it done, then start working making real money. Any certification that you mentioned (except for EKG tech) takes enough time that it wouldn't be worth it... You'd have to take time to get into a program, then get through it. Then how long would you work I. The field before you turned around and left? New workers aren't very productive for a while as well, so right around the time you'd be hitting your stride, you'd be leaving to go to DO school. So how much time will you have wasted taking a detour? No way... If you have a dream, shoot for it. The path is littered with folks who ventured off for a while and got caught up in life. Getting experience in another field won't mean much when you are taking in a medical education that basically has to encompass all the finite details. Maybe you will know how to take a blood pressure from a difficult patient, or put in an IV. Well, physicians don't do that, they wrap their brains around the really complex bits. What you learn in a whole lpn program would probably not even constitute 2 pages of what a physician would study regularly. If it's just money holding you back, just live frugal with your loan funds and get started, because the amount you make after tuition to an LPN program or MRI tech school will be minuscule.

I will soon be receiving a biology degree with a minor in chemistry. I plan on going to DO school eventually but first I would like to take a few years off, earn as much money as possible during that span, and get some experience under my belt. My top choices in the job market are EKG technician, MRI technician, radiology technician, or a licensed practical nurse (LPN). I know all of them require certifications and some training programs, but I also know with a biology degree I will be able to take an accelerated course in many cases. So basically my questions are:

2) What are the quickest/most efficient way to receive a certification/necessary training for each of the positions above?

Also if you would recommend taking another path instead of the ones listed above that would also be nice! I know this is a lot to ask but it would be very appreciated, thank you.
If you want to make money asap, you should do LPN or Rad tech. LPN is only one year; most standard rad tech programs are 2-year... MRI tech make more, but it's more schooling. I think LPN is the way to go if you are looking for a quick way to make money...

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't compare the loss of lpn/ekg income to a year of school. Compare lpn income to doctor income. If you will eventually go to school, go now

My advice:
1. DO school and if that doesn't work right away:
2. Radiology - 2 year degree with decent pay and room to specialize in MRI, CT, sonography, nuc med, etc...Your biology degree would also allow you to apply directly to Nuc Med programs (1 year) and make a good salary.

Don't bother with the LPN. It'll be difficult to find a job, especially one that will provide any solid clinical experience for your future.

Since you'll soon have a biology degree, you'd earn the most money with an accelerated BSN degree. It will only take 12 to 18 months to earn because you have a previous degree.