Help/Advice for a Future NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emeraldsong1712

Doesn't Know What She's Doing In Life... Yet
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm looking for some advice and insight into the NP route. I have been very up in the air with DO/PA/NP and finally decided on NP based on a number of personal factors. I just don't want to give another 7+ years to schooling before earning a living, so NP it is with strong aspirations of getting a PhD or Doctorate in Nursing down the line (simply for my own personal reasons, I've always wanted to achieve a doctorate).

I'm a recent college graduate from Virginia Tech currently enrolled in a few health science courses to raise my GPA a bit.
Degrees: B.S. Biological Sciences and B.S. Criminology
cGPA: 3.38
sGPA: 3.20

I know my GPA isn't amazing, but I'm hoping taking some additional coursework and my experience in healthcare will help me. I'm looking for advice for some options. I've looked into a number of programs and from what I understand, I have 3 paths to become an NP:
1) Associates in Nursing at a Community College --> Finish BSN online/at a 4-year college or skin the BSN entirely --> MSN
2) Accelerated BSN at a 4-year college --> MSN
3) Accelerated MSN at a 4-year college

I plan on exploring all options for the following year and applying broadly to all paths, but want some advice. I'm not too familiar with licensure for NP, from what I understand its an additional license you apply for after gaining experience and holding at least a Master's in Nursing with specific coursework. If I'm wrong, please correct me! I'm having trouble finding valuable resources online and haven't shadowed an NP just yet! (Plans to do so, don't worry)

Is a direct accelerated MSN program something I could do? I know I qualify for it (Johns Hopkins program for instance is a 5 semester MSN for 2nd degree seekers like me) and you earn your RN plus the Masters, but what steps would I take after that to become an NP? Would I need another Masters, could I theoretically apply for an NP license after gaining some experience, etc? And no, I don't think I have a shot at Johns Hopkins, it was just tee first MSN I stumbled upon. :)

I'd like to ideally do this the most cost-efficiently, and it seems a direct MSN would be the best way to go spending the least in the long-run, plus the fastest. I've been an EMT for 6+ years and worked in the field and in hospitals, so I feel like my base knowledge will aid me in nursing school. But of course, there's a strong possibility I'm not competitive for an accelerated MSN, and so I was wondering what you're thoughts were on an accelerated BSN and then following up with an MSN or DNP to become an NP after gaining some experience. At least I would be able to work post-BSN to save money. And of course finally, there's always the chance I won't get into an accelerated BSN program at all and will need to settle for community college. My local college offers a 2-year associates of nursing that I know I'd have a great chance at. Following that, would I need to get BSN to become an NP, or could I move directly to MSN since I would already be a licensed RN?

I'm SO sorry for all the questions that are probably silly to many of you. If you have any resources that would be helpful for me such as book recommendations or websites, I would love that. Thank you in advance for taking the time to help!

Members don't see this ad.