MD Future Nontraditional Applicant - Marks on Record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bDNA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
asdfasdf

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why no DO? With a 32+ MCAT your odds for MD will be about 50/50 at best. It would be wise to apply DO as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the cheating was a mistake can't you appeal to the dean and have it taken off your record?

I think that, at least for some schools, your ECs would be enough to compensate for a low GPA. That being said, it would be folly to expect a 30+ MCAT, especially with the changing format and a B- in biochem.

Throw in the academic misconduct, and it is harder to see a placement at an MD school.

I would just add...unless you accidentally opened a document and looked at the answers or something, your cheating wasn't a 'mistake.' Better make sure that, when you do apply, you call it what it was--a stupid (deliberate) decision that you deeply, deeply regret. Otherwise it'll seem like you're only sorry that you got caught.

I will have grades during my time completing my Master's in Education. I realize this is not science-related but it will be some form of grading.

The letter (from the same professor who reported me) will explain how I now know that cheating was a horrible thing to do, that I have learned from the mistake, and that she thinks that I will not cheat again.

There will be at least 2 years between the academic misconduct and the time I apply.

I am more curious about my stats vs. my EC's and whether there would be some balance. I realize I have a slim to none chance to any top-tier school.

I will have grades during my time completing my Master's in Education.
For better or for worse, grad GPA is calculated separately from undergrad GPA and holds less weight (primarily due to grade inflation); so the 3.3 stands as is. I'm still curious as why no DO? I'm not saying don't apply MD, but your odds are best with DO schools and the app process sucks to go through more than once.

Reactions: 1 user
1) I will have grades during my time completing my Master's in Education. I realize this is not science-related but it will be some form of grading.

2) There will be at least 2 years between the academic misconduct and the time I apply.

3) I am more curious about my stats vs. my EC's and whether there would be some balance. I realize I have a slim to none chance to any top-tier school.
I am a senior about to graduate. I have academic misconduct on record.
Will be joining Teach For America.
Planning to apply during the 2015 cycle, if not later. Will be applying broadly to MD's only.

Top-tier University
GPA:
3.34 - upward trend
BCPM: 3.37
MCAT: N/A (expecting a 30+)

Low GPA Breakdown:
  1. C+ in an English class (due to an injury)
  2. C+ in Organic Chemistry I (uncle passed away), B+ in Organic Chemistry II
  3. B- in Abstract Algebra
  4. B- in Biochemistry
  5. One Withdrawal (aunt passed away unexpectedly)
  6. D- in Molecular Biology (due to cheating) - Will be receiving recommendation from professor who reported me saying it was a mistake and that I would not do it again

Major:
Molecular Biology
Heavy Neuroscience and Mathematics course load (12 credits shy from triple majoring)

Asian male from NYC, 1st generation, Family Income <20k/year

Undergraduate Extracurriculars, Jobs, Activities:
  1. Shadowed 100+ hours with various doctors - mostly with Chief of Oncology - 2 years
  2. Mentioned in paper in ASCO in regards to technical assistance
  3. Interned at Renewable energy-focused hedge fund and construction company as dual internship
  4. Interned at hospital with Chief of Oncology to regain hospital's accreditation as well as the coordination of the local breast cancer clinic
  5. Volunteer at local clinic - 5 years
  6. Volunteer at larger hospital - 1 year
  7. Volunteer at Hospice program - 1.5 years
  8. Volunteer at a summer camp for kids with medical conditions - 2 weeks over 2 years
  9. TA for Linear Algebra (twice), Physics, Multivariable Calculus
  10. Founder of organization that provides SAT Math tutoring and College guidance counseling for free - 4 years
  11. Coordinator of organization that tutors local elementary school - 3 years
  12. Coordinator of organization that conducts science experiments at an elementary school (I lead the experiments) - 3 years
  13. Treasurer of Half the Sky Chapter (women's rights) - 1 year

Extra Info:
  1. Men's Volleyball Club Team - 2 years
  2. Running Club - 3 years
  3. Intramural Basketball - 2 years
  4. Math Club
  5. Molecular Biology Club

Great recommendations, including one from professor about academic misconduct.

Thank you for your chances.
1) A traditional masters in education will do nothing to ameliorate your low undergrad GPA.

2) That is not long enough.

3) Except for lacking research, your ECs look terrific, but to my mind won't sufficiently compensate for your low GPA.

Your GPA is low (below 10% for many schools by MSAR), you have academic IA's, and no MCAT score yet. Going by what you have presented I say your chances for allopathic schools are just about nil. Maybe DO, but not sure how they will view the IA's. I know kids with 3.9's who were haunted by IA's. You have a 3.3 and IA's, good luck.

Strongly concur. After felonies, cheating is the likeliest reason you might not have a medical career. My colleagues take professionalism very seriously. Suggest that you need several years of exemplary behavior to demonstrate that this was a one time deal.

You're going to have a very tough time with that GPA for MD, the academic misconduct notwithstanding. Strongly consider a post-bac/SMP/DO. The misconduct might still haunt you even then.

This will be worthless in terms of grade repair. it fails to show us you can handle a rigorous medical school curriculum.

I will have grades during my time completing my Master's in Education. I realize this is not science-related but it will be some form of grading.

@bDNA, was your cheating reported to your Dean and or academic disciplinary service? Some schools have a warning policy where it doesn't go on your record if it is a first time offense for not citing a journal article or something like that.

Was it strait up copying answers from someone else? Was it just a citation error resulting in plagiarism? Were you using a cell phone during a test? Some people have had the same questions and many times they can get the record expunged if it was a one time thing.

Furthermore, is there any evidence on your transcript of this? Did the institution take any action against you?

Usually, cheating is a death sentence to medical schools. At the best, prepare for a 4 year break trying to show that the cheating was a one time thing and at worst, like everyone else, a different career if things don't pan out.

@bDNA, was your cheating reported to your Dean and or academic disciplinary service? Some schools have a warning policy where it doesn't go on your record if it is a first time offense for not citing a journal article or something like that.

Was it strait up copying answers from someone else? Was it just a citation error resulting in plagiarism? Were you using a cell phone during a test? Some people have had the same questions and many times they can get the record expunged if it was a one time thing.

Furthermore, is there any evidence on your transcript of this? Did the institution take any action against you?

Usually, cheating is a death sentence to medical schools. At the best, prepare for a 4 year break trying to show that the cheating was a one time thing and at worst, like everyone else, a different career if things don't pan out.

I should add that my sGPA is about a 3.4.

Not sure if this would matter but my math GPA is about a 3.65...

It is not on my record but I will disclose/have to disclose on my application. I realize it is extremely detrimental to my application; I was wondering if there is even a 30+% chance in getting ANYWHERE that is MD. I am asking specifically for MD as I know my chances for DO are better. Have admission committees overlooked such infractions?

Also, I was planning on applying during the 2016 cycle. The incident occurred in 2013...

I'm not sure you are reading what people are writing. It seems that with your below average GPAs and the IA you don't stand much of a chance at MD schools. So it isn't just the IA that is holding you back. It is the combination of both low GPA and the IA. Why are you enrolling in a Masters in Education? That seems rather strange. But anyway your grades in the Masters program will not help you get into Medical School. Go back and read what people are saying. And then investigate DO.

Y U NO WANT DO?!