Future of AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kutastha

2K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, the recent string of events pretty much seals the deal that the web-based application was a failure. We spent hours and hours filling out the application to end up with what was done in past years anyway: paper applications sent to the schools. Now, the students are pissed, and the medical schools are extremely pissed. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on the future of AMCAS?

Andrew

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I dont think much is going to change. AMCAS is probably going to use the web app next year and from now on (hopefully they will do comprehensive software re-engineering).

If AMCAS changes at all, it will only be because of the the criticism they get from the med schools.

AMCAS knows they have a monopoly and thus they are immune from any applicant critiques. The only time the future of AMCAS is endangered is when the med schools get uneasy about it.

I hate the way AMCAS does things, but they should have this mess worked out in a year. If they dont, then the med schools or people higher up in the AAMC should step in, fire the AMCAS directors, and completely reorganize the department.

Originally posted by baylor21:
•Honestly I dont think much is going to change. AMCAS is probably going to use the web app next year and from now on (hopefully they do comprehensive software re-engineering).•

Actually, this raises a good question too.. does anyone know if the schools are under contract with AMCAS or can they back out and do their own applications in a given year?

Andrew

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked at IBM years back. If someone dropped the ball, they got the boot. IBM was one of the very first to introduce the labtop, thier analyst predicted very few sales compared to the explosive demand that was actually generated and they lost tons of money. Needless to say, the analyst was soon looking for work at another corporation.

I think whoever dropped the ball at AMCAS has lots of explaining to do. It might even be the contracted programmers that dropped the ball, they should show them the door and hire competent programers.

As for AMCAS's future, they'll stick around for ever. Unfortuantely, we were their lab rats this year, and future applicants will have a very smooth application process next year.

I dont really care about AMCAS... but i do know one two things for sure
1) I am going to get my $1000 back from them by calling my credit card
2) If they dont fix my MCAT scores I will sue
And u can take that to the bank!