Future of Audiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dustbug10

Year IV
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about how often times we are force fed knowledge according to the curriculum without ever learning about the profession and the direction it is heading in. Dr. Kris English, president of the American Academy of Audiology (AAA) had an outstanding interview on AudiologyTalk that called out professionals to protect the identity of our field. I decided to expand upon it by bringing the same points to the attention of my fellow students and colleagues. Please take time to read and give your thoughts.

http://community.advanceweb.com/blo...n-my-weekend-and-the-profession-s-future.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

Good post. I think I've aasked this before, but maybe things have changed: does anyone know how the new healthcare system will affect us? I imagine we will see more cochlear implants, but less reimbursement overall?

Dustbug, you bring up good points that I totally agree with. We, as the "new bloods" need to start paying attention of what is going on in the field and how it will affect us. If changes need to be made it will be difficult, and most likely will need to be done on compromises, as everything that concerns politics. Lets face the facts here, the structure of the governing body for audiologists is politically based. As the example you provided that only a minute percentage of the total body backed a specified proposal. I believe the reason for this is that some people don't want to get involved in politics, or they think "what difference can I make". There is also a good deal of money that is involved, after the PAC needs to be funded some how. What I am getting at is basically what the premise of your piece is, we need to be the captains of our own ship (I want to credit this saying, but can't remember who said it). If we start now as students we should have the power and ability to control our paths and hopefully continue to provide the ethical care of our future patients.

PS. thats a rough schedule, where did you find the time to write that.