future of optometry in canada (ontario)

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

topgun129

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I'm planning on being an OD in a few years and needed some input...

Due to some reasons, I wanted to settle down with a practice in Canada (Ontario) after I'm done with opt. school. But I did recently hear about how optometry is no longer being covered by the govt. under health insurance.

So what is the future of optometry in Canada? I wouldn't want to settle down there and find out there if there isn't an ounce of opportunity.

Thanks,

topgun129

Members don't see this ad.

topgun129 said:
Hi Everybody,

Due to some reasons, I wanted to settle down with a practice in Canada (Ontario) after I'm done with opt. school. But I did recently hear about how optometry is no longer being covered by the govt. under health insurance.

So what is the future of optometry in Canada? I wouldn't want to settle down there and find out there if there isn't an ounce of opportunity.

Thanks,

topgun129

you'd have better luck in alberta or saskatchewan (i've heard of some really good stories about practices there)

Can opticians do refractions in canada now? I thought I read that on here before but I can't remember for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
topgun129 said:
Hi Everybody,

Thanks,

topgun129

i've assessed the provice of ontario and it can be the best and worst place to work.
the deinsurance of any state/province does not hinder the progress or income of optometry / optometrist. classmates of mine up there net good money and don't seem to be working too hard for it. a relative of mine makes about (350k CAD / 290k USD) on three days a week. so i would say that's hella good!

all the best...be brave!

ucbsowarrior said:
i've assessed the provice of ontario and it can be the best and worst place to work.
the deinsurance of any state/province does not hinder the progress or income of optometry / optometrist. classmates of mine up there net good money and don't seem to be working too hard for it. a relative of mine makes about (350k CAD / 290k USD) on three days a week. so i would say that's hella good!

all the best...be brave!

if you dont mind me asking, where is your relative located (which part of ontario)... the reason i ask, is because in order to achieve 350k CAD in toronto, it would be very difficult with a practice alone...

also, the value of 350k seems more accurate when speaking about people from alberta (from the doctors i've talked to)

plus, 3 days a week seems suspicious

drbizzaro said:
if you dont mind me asking, where is your relative located (which part of ontario)... the reason i ask, is because in order to achieve 350k CAD in toronto, it would be very difficult with a practice alone...

also, the value of 350k seems more accurate when speaking about people from alberta (from the doctors i've talked to)

plus, 3 days a week seems suspicious

1 principal (relative), 4 associates

don't believe me. it's all good.

ucbsowarrior said:
1 principal (relative), 4 associates

don't believe me. it's all good.

alright... i believe you...

where is the location? toronto?