FUTURE RESIDENT, DO NOT BECOME A RADIATION ONCOLOGIST!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While it is quite evident that the job market is poor there really is no excuse for being in a place you absolutely dread. There are many people in this country, and countless more across the globe, who are in horrific situations from which they cannot escape, either because of lack of resources or oppression. A board certified radiation oncologist in the US is not one of those people. As others have suggested, in this thread and elsewhere, the key to finding a job is networking. This has always been the case and a job in NYC, LA, Chicago, etc was never a given. One might scoff at the idea of doing locums work, but honestly that is a way to network and get a permanent job in the location you like. If the RNs, RTTs, referring docs etc make it known that the covering doc was awesome, guess who will get a job offer when one opens up. If you are outwardly bitter, you will fail the AAA test miserably. I'll concede that locums work is not ideal, but it is better than being in a place that the OP described. On a national level, it sounds like work needs to be done to correct the poor job market (it will require initiative from someone with clout and authority since nobody else feels as though this issue falls within his/her authority or has the time or energy to fix it). But ultimately you have to take care of yourself. Whining about being in an unpleasant town will not correct your problems. Waiting for someone to gift you a competitive opportunity will be a long wait. Having an MD and board certification in any specialty does not entitle you to get what you want- ultimately you have to work for it, and if you did not do that in residency it is not too late now. Yes- it is a zero sum game; while you may hate where you are, someone else may not mind (and may actually appreciate the higher salary, lower cost of living, small town prestige of MD, etc often associated with these types of jobs).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You are implying that if most residents just put in extra effort and dedication, they will be rewarded.
[/QUOTE]

Nope. I am implying that you can't just put in your 50 hours a week in clinic and expect to get a good job; whether you are at a top or mid tier program. At no point did I say put in hard work and all of your dreams will come true. Its a tight market and if you don't network or do anything to at least try to look any different from the 50 other people applying for your job then you can only be so upset when the job search goes badly.

I have to agree with RSAOaky. No one is arguing that the job market is good and we all agree that it is getting tighter. Clearly it is and that is a downside to this field. My job search went pretty darn well as I said above but it was not perfect. I had a couple good offers but my wife had a really good job located in Philly which she had to give up because I did not get a job in the north east. Good luck to anyone with very specific regional requirements in a given year. If you absolutely can only be happy living in X city then don't pick this or any other competitive field.

That being said, of the roughly 20 former residents that I keep in contact with that finished residency over the last 4-5 years, I can think of 2 that were truly unhappy with their first jobs. Not saying everyone landed their dream jobs, but I can only come up with 2 that ended up unhappy and one of them frankly was the kind of person who would be unhappy about winning the lottery because it would make filing their taxes more complicated. I get a small snap shot of the field, just like everyone else, but it is very hard for me to believe that MOST residents will be unhappy with their job. Just one person's opinion that people can do what they want with

ok, maybe "unhappy" is a bit dramatic, as most of us are resilient and play the hand we are dealt. We are all more fortunate than most of our patients. The fact is that there is a constricting job market, and an increasing supply of residents, and I think this will get a lot worse, and the ASTRO response is underwhelming at the very least. I would be very cautious as a medstudent about selecting this field right now. Developments including hypofractionation, health system consolidation and disease mangament changes will explode the job market.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to throw my experience with this year's job search into the ring because it has been very different to the OP's. I will not harp on the fact that we have an oversupply of residents or a lack of good jobs as this has been discussed ad nauseam. I recognize that my experience is not representative of the whole much like we should all recognize that OP's is not either. It is not an easy job market and if you want a good job in a specific desirable area it will probably come down to luck, patience, timing and connections. Even then, you will need to be someone that people actually want to work with.

I would say my experience of job search was very similar to RSAOaky's. I also came from middle tier program not in major cities and didn't have publication loaded CV. And to be honest, my job search when okay, kinda better than I expected. Just like RSAOaky, I had a good number of interviews through ASTRO and ended up securing a contract in a decent size city with a couple of million population relatively early in the season. Didn't get a job in major east coast city, which I would have preferred, or had multiple interviews in California, but at least, I figure that I did okay.

HOWEVER, I do feel OP's pain 100%!!!! because that's unfortunately the outcome that I feared going into the interview season and that's the fear that I would continue to have through my earlier career if something were to happen to my practice, and in fact, that's what almost happened to multiple of my former residents until random olive branch came to them in like April of their graduating years.

It has been discussed many times in this forum that the leadership in our field is gutless facing the current job market concern, or more likely chuckling among themselves. But more concerning is that, just some people I noticed in the last couple threads, there are people who ignore this real problem and even dilute the conversation saying that "Oh, the OP has his own problem", "Oh, you didn't work hard enough. And I fear those passive or patriarchal sentiment will be used by ASTRO leadership as an excuse to continue to allow expansions, new programs, and upsell fellowships saying "Look, many of mid career attendings in our field think things are fine, many of graduates think their job search went fine."

Last year in ASTRO, DiAmico shared that when he was graduating, there was no initial spots in Boston and he had to settle with a satellite position hour away. Nobody with sanity would argue that having difficulty finding medical job in Boston is abnormal. When I was in medical school and looking into radonc now a decade ago, it was known that finding jobs in Boston, NYC, LA, SF would be difficult, and even that people in medicine or any other profession would find it reasonable. But, now in 2018, finding a job in top 50ish metropolitan area of US (and look up what number 50-55 cities are, it's not impressive) is not a piece of cake and finding a job in one of Amazon HQ2 finalists is a significant success. So, if there is anyone who thinks this alarming trend over the last 20-30 years is okay, then you would also find a urologist treating high risk prostate with cryo, then to RP, then send for post-op RT to urorad center that he own.

I'm actually happy that many of frequent contributors of this forum posted along side of OP, but if any readers looked this and other recent threads and wondered why some people are so upset while my job and life is fine. Well, I would say, that's how this country ended up with Trump as the president.

While it is quite evident that the job market is poor there really is no excuse for being in a place you absolutely dread. There are many people in this country, and countless more across the globe, who are in horrific situations from which they cannot escape, either because of lack of resources or oppression. A board certified radiation oncologist in the US is not one of those people. As others have suggested, in this thread and elsewhere, the key to finding a job is networking. This has always been the case and a job in NYC, LA, Chicago, etc was never a given. One might scoff at the idea of doing locums work, but honestly that is a way to network and get a permanent job in the location you like. If the RNs, RTTs, referring docs etc make it known that the covering doc was awesome, guess who will get a job offer when one opens up. If you are outwardly bitter, you will fail the AAA test miserably. I'll concede that locums work is not ideal, but it is better than being in a place that the OP described. On a national level, it sounds like work needs to be done to correct the poor job market (it will require initiative from someone with clout and authority since nobody else feels as though this issue falls within his/her authority or has the time or energy to fix it). But ultimately you have to take care of yourself. Whining about being in an unpleasant town will not correct your problems. Waiting for someone to gift you a competitive opportunity will be a long wait. Having an MD and board certification in any specialty does not entitle you to get what you want- ultimately you have to work for it, and if you did not do that in residency it is not too late now. Yes- it is a zero sum game; while you may hate where you are, someone else may not mind (and may actually appreciate the higher salary, lower cost of living, small town prestige of MD, etc often associated with these types of jobs).

Not sure why this is even being discussed. This is not a question that if you try really really hard and be a good AAA boy/girl and do some crappy locums - These threads always devolve into the saviors who say 'hey it isnt so bad, you just have to do x,y,z and youre good.' Fine, give that information to residents. The real question is, if you are a medical student should you go into radiation oncology. The clear answer to that question (which you will not get from academic advisors who have 0 clue about the jobs market) is NO - DO NOT DO IT for all the reasons mentioned above. This is not complicated to research. Here are your current astro job board location options excluding Fellowships. And be careful, you might be getting yourself into a 100% exploitative situation. Your program probably will not offer you any help either. So if youre into this then go w Rad Onc, itll be so much fun!

-Youngstown Ohio
-Stanford Instructor - this job is already taken
-Louisville
-Rahway NJ
-Buffalo, NY
-Central NY
-Lebanon NH
-Elko NV
-Lancaster, PA
-Boone, NC
-Hattiesburg, MS
-Medina, OH
-Stevens Point, WI
-Cedar Rapids, IA

The situation is so sad now that ASTRO has taken to advertising jobs not even remotely related to Rad Oncs in desirable locations.

Cancer Rehabilitation Physiatrist Jobs in Seattle, WA
Providence St. Joseph Health
Seattle, WA, Washington

Medical Oncology Physician Jobs in Santa Rosa, CA
Providence St. Joseph Health
Santa Rosa, CA, California

Social Worker, MSW - Hospice - Per-Diem
MemorialCare Saddleback Medical Center
Laguna Hills, California

Last edited:
umm- it is late January, with most of the jobs starting July 1 st being filled. It has also been well-documented here that the ASTRO job board does not list many of the jobs which are available. It is not a requirement to post your openings there (and FWIW Louisville and Buffalo are among the top 100 populated cities; Medina is 45 min from Cleveland- maybe not your cup of tea, but not exactly rural nowhere either). And while I completely agree that there is a growing problem with supply and demand, it does not change the fact that 1) residents are indeed getting decent jobs (as others have posted above) and 2) if you are miserable in your current job, there are not insurmountable barriers to changing that.

umm- it is late January, with most of the jobs starting July 1 st being filled. It has also been well-documented here that the ASTRO job board does not list many of the jobs which are available. It is not a requirement to post your openings there (and FWIW Louisville and Buffalo are among the top 100 populated cities; Medina is 45 min from Cleveland- maybe not your cup of tea, but not exactly rural nowhere either). And while I completely agree that there is a growing problem with supply and demand, it does not change the fact that 1) residents are indeed getting decent jobs (as others have posted above) and 2) if you are miserable in your current job, there are not insurmountable barriers to changing that.

Ha! The ole 'its well known that not all jobs are posted on astro.' Med students, everything you need to know is posted in this response.

Fantastic location! 45 mins away from Cleveland! No offense to folks from Cleveland of course but having lived there for a bit it’s not exactly a paradise.

Thank you Haybrant and Nkmiami and Psy3 and Busy body, and every one else, including all those who think I am lazy.

I appreciate everyone’s input on this forum.

Firstly, I don’t hate my job. I don’t hate radiation oncology. I resent that people keep repeating these statements. It’s a disservice to my co-workers and practice. I do hate the location. That is true, for me and my entire staff/co-workers- most live here because of family. Even my dentist hates the location (he’s here because of his wife’s parents).

The situation for MD PhDs is atrocious. I don’t even know why our field wants them if subsequently they are not supported? And small towns are way worse for minorities, including Asians and non-Christians.

I understand that not everyone will agree with me, that’s only natural. I’m maybe not even surprised at the character attacks. Reading some of the posts it seems that I didn’t work hard enough in high school to get into a good college; did not work hard enough in college to get into a good med school; did not work hard enough in med school to get into a good residency; did not work hard enough in residency to have an amazing resume and recommendations and netowrk; didn’t work hard enough to find a job, and am currently instead of actively looking for new jobs, just whining. Also, I’m apparently just super bad at my job and have a sour personality at work, which somehow people picked up on from just my cover letter and application, which is why they flat out didn’t offer an interview to begin with. If all of this is true, then I don’t even deserve a job, let alone the job I have right now.

Just because a residency has a private practice approach does not mean that everyone graduating is garbage and must do a fellowship as if these fellowships magically fix the bad doctor. Any intelligent person can glean what they need from such a residency, understand their attendings’ shortcomings and learn from their mistakes, realize which attendings are great even if they are not academic, and take it upon themselves to recognize their own weaknesses as they move into real practice, and do the proper research to treat their patient as best as possible including asking other people’s opinion. In fact, EVERYONE should do this. And as repeatedly stated, people graduating from renowned programs aren’t always good (for a variety of reasons). Having said that, if we’re to get rid of residency programs we should get rid of the ones that show little interest in resident education and resident placement.

If we are moving towards fellowships to get jobs in good-great locations, then the applicants applying should be aware because the majority are thinking they will do 5 year residencies, not 6 or 7 year ones. If there is an oversupply of graduating residents, then some people will have to do fellowships (or locums) as they won’t have any kind of job, not even one in a bad location.

I don’t know why I’m in the wrong half of the group here. I did send my resumes to places outside of the ASTRO postings, to places not advertising jobs. We were prohibited from doing locums during residency. I am currently using some of my PTO for locums precisely for this reason. Admittedly, I did wait until PGY-4 to start the job search and did not start as a PGY-2.

As for personality, I’ve increased productivity significantly here. My staff and co-workers including all referrals find me approachable, hard working, eager, flexible, supportive and respect my opinion. I suppose they could be lying to me.

It would be great for the current applicants if there were a list of programs with the previous job placement, but that would be somewhat hard to do. Some places don’t even list the names of previous alumni, let alone jobs. Some programs during interview, will say so and so has a job in the Chicago area but actually the job is 2 hrs away. Also, there are jobs that list themselves as being in city X but are actually predominantly in a satellite facility in city Y, 90 min away.

What would truly clarify the situation is if there were a list of all jobs (the ASTRO mediocre ones as well as the “hidden” jobs) and comparing these available jobs to the number of people graduating. Then we can see what percentage of graduates are going to get captured into the unideal locations, without relying on anonymous forums. That is obviously impossible to do and tells you nothing about work hours or pay.

I think it would be great if there were another thread talking about what should be done for finding jobs. But as someone already stated, if everyone started looking jobs in PGY-2, it will be no different from what it is now. At the end of the day, there is an over supply, and a certain percentage of us will get stuck with jobs in bad locations, or bad jobs in okay locations. And as the above person stated, just because you found a good job in a good location (and good for you! I don’t hate you for it) doesn’t negate my experience and my reality. As I don’t know you, I can’t argue that you are a better or worse candidate than me, or more or less deserving, and thus I won’t do so.

I did not write the post to get the attention of the “leaders,” the academic physicians, the current rad oncs, the current people hiring, or even to ask advice (though I do welcome constructive advice). I wrote it because the current applicants should be wary of what they are walking into. Again, I wish someone had told me.

It is so easy being an eager 3rd or 4th year medical student, being told by the residents and attendings how amazing radiation oncology is. And it absolutely is. However, when it comes to quality of life, it is also for many of us, a very inflexible field. And they will have to prudently judge whether the gamble is worth it for them. Because I have specific wants/needs in my personal life, I would have preferred at this point a different specialty (including internal medicine) in a top 10-20 metropolitan area (now I would take top 50). People aren’t “bad” for saying they could have seen themselves in a different specialty. Nothing in life is guaranteed, but there are BETTER odds elsewhere. All those applicants who need top metro areas probably should not apply unless they do have a strong connection already (like they already know someone in a group). The less they apply, the less likely you will see posts like mine in 6 years.

And for those with spouses- 2 people are affected, not one (plus any children)!

And lastly, it’s almost impossible to get 3 out of 3. Part of it is compensation changes, part of it is that if there is an oversupply of graduating residents, why would potential employers pay a lot?

And actually, my one lie is that I do know someone who works in the suburbs of a top 5 city (50 min away). That person is forbidden by the practice from doing hypofractionation for breast because the compensation is worse than standard fractionation. I can’t work in a place like that, nor are they currently hiring. Because I find that so sad, I didn't even mention it. How can he/she choose wisely? How?

I understand ops dissatisfaction, but it is misleading to state you can only get a job in a desirable area if you train at a top 3 institution. I work in one of the best cities in the world and there have been tons of new hires over the past few years. Nearly all of the docs trained locally, though, and the positions were never advertised. At least in my locale, top 3 doesnt mean crap. Its all about training locally and having connections.

Locums during residency are a great way to make connections. its like an away rotation but as a resident. Unfortunately, this is not an option for many. Many programs ban moonlighting and locums all during residency. Keeping the current job market in mind, it is not a bad idea to consider programs which allow this as a huge plus. Think about the future and plan ahead. You will be disappointed how little pull the faculty have to get you the job you want if you don't make connections. Many programs don't even care at all about placing you.

On another note, the self-righteous character attacks are not surprising. There will always be defenders of the status quo and moderate apologists who stand for nothing. Apparently people who end up in an undesirable job must have all been lazy bums who only bothered to put in 50 hours a week. These peoples credibility is in the negatives in my mind!

Last edited:
Of course there are non-attractive jobs and of course those jobs are the first to become available. But I wonder who's supposed to treat patients in rural places if every fresh board certified radiation oncologist wants to work in the city.

I'll chime in.
Went to a top residency program, and have a good job in a desirable city.
That said, the OP rings true. I know that type of city, and have seen residents I've known end up there.
Good jobs are almost never posted on ASTRO. In general, the good jobs in private practice go to the well-spoken, well-connected, put-together residents who impress their attendings clinically and easily form contacts through various channels--networking, academic prowess etc.
For better or worse, those above characteristics tend to correlate with getting a good residency. Those 3rd year med school grades are way too subjective and favor the polished confident types. The popularity contests you thought ended after high school continue. Smooth, accomplished med students who interview well match well.
I've not known a well-adjusted, outgoing resident who patients and other docs like to end up with a miserable job.
Unfortunately that's not everyone in this field.
Some socially awkward folks will deservedly work their way into a good residency with 260+ board scores, a bunch of research, and a Ph.D. Those folks would do best to chase an academic job because those latter characteristics won't suffice for a prime private practice job, especially if there are concerns about their clinical skills/desire from their attendings.
If you're the type of med student who is scrambling to get into any rad onc residency in part because you're either introverted (not a crime! just not helpful in this game) or just otherwise a borderline candidate, the OP's reality is very much a possibility. It's a sad truth of our field.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to comment on rad-onc since I have very little experience with that field -- but I do agree with about 95% of your views on small town rural life in America. Unless you grew up in a small/rural town and totally "buy in" to that kind of mentality and lifestyle, it can rapidly eat away at your soul and leave you feeling quite depressed regardless of how much money you are making. Humans are social creatures and we crave other people who are similar to us in terms of education, community engagement, and lifestyle. I've known people in my life who grew up in large urban areas like Philadelphia or Chicago or New York and then try to live in a small dinky town and they never last long, even if they have a good supportive family. Trust me, I know the despair you feel when the only social hub in town is the local Walmart where you can mingle with folks who barely finished high school and they know more about cleaning guns than they do about operating a cell phone. Educated people are not meant to thrive in this kind of culture.

Your advice about grinding it out and saving money to retire early is not an unreasonable idea. You will have freedom to explore other career opportunities (both inside and outside of healthcare) and more importantly, allow you to move to a more desirable area to be around people like yourself. #1 rule in life is to make yourself happy, so never forget that.

No offense to folks from Cleveland of course but having lived there for a bit it’s not exactly a paradise.

Cleveland is like many other Rust Belt cities -- it's become a depressing place to even visit for a couple days. You drive around and all you see is empty strip malls and abandoned houses. Very similar to Detroit and Indianapolis and the smaller towns in between. You couldnt pay me a million dollars to love in those places.

Cleveland is like many other Rust Belt cities -- it's become a depressing place to even visit for a couple days. You drive around and all you see is empty strip malls and abandoned houses. Very similar to Detroit and Indianapolis and the smaller towns in between. You couldnt pay me a million dollars to love in those places.

Sure, there are parts of Cleveland that are a dump, but there are also nice parts of the city with trendy restaurants, bars, breweries, nightlife, and so on. Likewise there are large populations of professionals in medicine, finance, education, etc that come with having big academic centers in the area. Ditto for Indianapolis, Columbus, and other “rust belt” cities. If they were closer to family, I’d happily practice in or near one of those cities while laughing at my colleagues in NYC and SF who have a ridiculous cost of living and few additional amenities I care about.

To compare decent cities like Cleveland and Indianapolis with the desolation of rural middle America that the OP is describing is entirely disingenuous.

Reactions: 5 users
Sure, there are parts of Cleveland that are a dump, but there are also nice parts of the city with trendy restaurants, bars, breweries, nightlife, and so on. Likewise there are large populations of professionals in medicine, finance, education, etc that come with having big academic centers in the area. Ditto for Indianapolis, Columbus, and other “rust belt” cities. If they were closer to family, I’d happily practice in or near one of those cities while laughing at my colleagues in NYC and SF who have a ridiculous cost of living and few additional amenities I care about.

To compare decent cities like Cleveland and Indianapolis with the desolation of rural middle America that the OP is describing is entirely disingenuous.
Agreed, Pittsburgh has had quite the rustbelt "renaissance" in the last couple of decades.

Since cities like Cleveland and Detroit are mentioned. I cannot help chiming in one more time. I agree with DoctwoB that those major rust belt cities are actually decent as they have the pockets of wealth from previous heydays feeding revival of cultural and dining scenes.

AT THE SAME TIME, the current reality of job market is that it is not easy to get jobs in such cities that are not looked upon by the general public. During my job search year, I've heard multiple times that it is very, very difficult to find a position in Detroit. Specifically, I've heard one or multiple UMichigan advertised satellite positions which were already taken by in-house graduates. Beaumont had basic science position which did not apply to most candidates. And whatever private positions that went un-advertised (which some people on this board hang onto as an excuse against the sense of job market threat), how realistic is it to even know about those un-advertised job in Detroit if you are not in UMich/Beaumont/HFord residency and you are not from Michigan??

When I mentioned that it is hard to find a radonc job in Detroit to my non-medicine friends and non-radonc medicine friends, they were all perplexed. And most of you probably would feel that way. And same can be applied to cities like Cleveland, Nashville, on and on. This is the disconnect between radonc job markets and all the other job markets in and outside of medicine. I can only wonder when the denial by leaders of our field and some on this board would stop. When it is hard to find a job in Buffalo? which is kinda real already.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are a resident, maybe it is not the end of the world to end up in a small town/undesirable location with a salary of 250K. Sure, there are bigger tragedies. For a medstudent, however, why would you enter a specialty that is so constrictive- assuming you have choices with high scores etc. There are plenty of interesting fields. If I was not radiation oncologist, I am sure I would be "into" whatever else I was practicing- GI, cards etc. I did not have a special destiny to become a radiation oncologist, and everything else is so uninteresting.

A medstudent is infatuated with radonc to the extent that they would abandon living in entire regions of the country/major metropolitan areas? (aspergers?) Some of us have partners who are scientists, lawyers, other phsycians who also have geographic restrictions etc; We may want to live near family...

Last edited:
Some of us have partners who are scientists, lawyers, other phsycians who also have geographic restrictions etc; We may want to live near family...

This.

Finding a position for my spouse who is in a highly technical, specialized profession was very important for me. There were plenty of places (including well-established, cultured metropolitan regions) that were just peachy for me but had a dearth of jobs for my spouse. We are both working professionals and I would not expect her to give up all of her education, training, and experience simply so that I could have a job that I liked.

This.

Finding a position for my spouse who is in a highly technical, specialized profession was very important for me. There were plenty of places (including well-established, cultured metropolitan regions) that were just peachy for me but had a dearth of jobs for my spouse. We are both working professionals and I would not expect her to give up all of her education, training, and experience simply so that I could have a job that I liked.

Have to second this. Contrary to what some posters suggest I don't think everything is peachy and the market is clearly going the wrong way. I do wish our leaders would do more to address some of their counter productive behaviors let alone even acknowledge there are issues. However, at present most residents are still getting good jobs so I do feel pretty strongly that it is premature to say that medical students should avoid the field at all costs.

But this is a problem at this point in time. Its not a future issue. As I said above, I had a couple of good options but ultimately none of them were in the NE. Because of that my wife had to give up a job that she absolutely loved and it was a very hard thing to accept. Fortunately for us she is very accomplished on her own and many of her skills are transferable across industries. My chair is amazing and she has transitioned into the healthcare environment pretty well. She lost a job but was able to keep her career. That won't work for everyone. People with strict regional requirements should think very long and hard before applying to rad onc. Many years there will be ZERO open job positions in highly competitive markets, especially to applicants from outside that location.

I think we call all agree on that much.

Have to second this. Contrary to what some posters suggest I don't think everything is peachy and the market is clearly going the wrong way. I do wish our leaders would do more to address some of their counter productive behaviors let alone even acknowledge there are issues. However, at present most residents are still getting good jobs so I do feel pretty strongly that it is premature to say that medical students should avoid the field at all costs.

But this is a problem at this point in time. Its not a future issue. As I said above, I had a couple of good options but ultimately none of them were in the NE. Because of that my wife had to give up a job that she absolutely loved and it was a very hard thing to accept. Fortunately for us she is very accomplished on her own and many of her skills are transferable across industries. My chair is amazing and she has transitioned into the healthcare environment pretty well. She lost a job but was able to keep her career. That won't work for everyone. People with strict regional requirements should think very long and hard before applying to rad onc. Many years there will be ZERO open job positions in highly competitive markets, especially to applicants from outside that location.

I think we call all agree on that much.

I think this issue is something that we want our leaders to really bring to the forefront, much more than pushing for 8 Gy x 1 for our palliative patients.

If everyone in the country just lived in San Francisco and San Diego, this wouldn't be such a problem.

Seriously, who are these people that don't live in California and need help? Screw them. I for one won't debase myself by stooping to whatever hell hole they crawl out of to earn a measly 600k. Even if I affirmatively agreed to do so.

Reactions: 3 users
If everyone in the country just lived in San Francisco and San Diego, this wouldn't be such a problem.

Seriously, who are these people that don't live in California and need help? Screw them. I for one won't debase myself by stooping to whatever hell hole they crawl out of to earn a measly 600k. Even if I affirmatively agreed to do so.
Most Americans actually do live on the eastern seaboard or california. Throw in a few large cities in Texas and Chicago, and you have an overwhelming majority. If you know of any 600k jobs in some hellhole pm me. not too many like that anymore.

Strongly agree. I grew up in Indianapolis, and it is not a ****hole. It would be a perfectly fine place to grow a practice, have a family, etc. Same with Louisville, which was maligned on this board in a post recently. I know we all want to live in Cool City, USA, but radonc never has been- and never will be- the specialty to pick and choose where you live. The leaders of the field have failed us by focusing only on their (and their department's) short-term gain rather than the field as a whole, full stop. However, even in the good years you're always geographically restricted with radonc. Sure, the restriction has gotten worse as the job market tightens, but it has always been there to some extent.

I think the MD/PhD thing is a bigger deal. So many tax dollars wasted to train physician-scientists who will never be able to fulfill their dream. What a waste.

The point is there are people who live in rural areas, that apparently most radiation oncologists look at as undesirable. These people get cancer and require cancer treatment, including radiation. Someone has to work there. Because it's an "undesirable" location, likely that person will be an undesirable candidate. If you are admittedly an undesirable candidate, I'm not sure what you're expecting or why you'd think you're entitled to the best jobs out there (and they are out there). The overtraining is a tangentially related, but separate issue to the maldistribution issue, and remains a very poor solution to the maldistribution issue.

Agree that the MD/PhD issue is appalling. Academic institutions push this narrative of the "good" physician scientist vs the "evil" private practice doc with absolutely no plan to support them on the back end once they give up 4 years in one of their labs.

why do you guys keep coming with the "its great in a small town narrative." Nobody cares go in enjoy your dairy queen, that is not the issue. Give that advice to the current residents. The issue is should med students go into a field where the job board looks like it does above (how will it look in 5 years?!) and there is a very real possibility of being exploited in practice and in a field where leaders have not shown any willingness to stem the issue of oversupply? No. its not complicated

why do you guys keep coming with the "its great in a small town narrative." Nobody cares go in enjoy your dairy queen, that is not the issue. Give that advice to the current residents. The issue is should med students go into a field where the job board looks like it does above (how will it look in 5 years?!) and there is a very real possibility of being exploited in practice and in a field where leaders have not shown any willingness to stem the issue of oversupply? No. its not complicated

The job board is irrelevant and it will always be irrelevant. The best jobs are not advertised. The last six residents from the program I trained at (which is a mid-tier program) ended up in Memphis, Boca Raton, Indianapolis, Chapel Hill, Ft Lauderdale, and New Bern (Coastal NC). None of those jobs were advertised. The job market is tightening and people should think about that but at this moment in time most residents are still ending up in pretty good positions. People should be aware that we don't know what it will look like in 5 years but if someone really loves Rad Onc I think its premature to tell them they will be miserable if they join. I think its an absolute fallacy to point to the ASTRO job board as evidence to support that point of view. Not trying to take away from the OP and others like them. But objectively they are still in the minority.

The point is there are people who live in rural areas, that apparently most radiation oncologists look at as undesirable. These people get cancer and require cancer treatment, including radiation. Someone has to work there. Because it's an "undesirable" location, likely that person will be an undesirable candidate. If you are admittedly an undesirable candidate, I'm not sure what you're expecting or why you'd think you're entitled to the best jobs out there (and they are out there). The overtraining is a tangentially related, but separate issue to the maldistribution issue, and remains a very poor solution to the maldistribution issue.

So, you are defining people who didn't get a job in desirable city as "undesirable" human being and "losers of competition" in the harsh world of medicine????

That aside, having lived in medium sized cities with direct proximity to rural areas, I strongly object to the idea of "somebody has to work there," which gets rephrased as "maldistribution" and used as an excuse to continue to expand residency slots.

First of all, many of those rural centers, especially the ones being advertised as "~100miles from whatever cities (many midwestern cities in fact", those pretty much popped up as entrepreneurial ventures of baby-boomer radoncs or expansion/competition projects of large hospital systems at the surge of 3D, IMRT, IGRT reimbursement or as expansion/competition projects. With reimbursement going down, I believe the sheer existence of those centers need to be challenged rather than being used as an excuse for maldistribution or supply concern. In fact, a lot of those centers basically have a single machine, less than 10 patients per day? If a center in very desirable city or reasonably desirable city has such low volume, can it continue to survive? So, why providing supply for staffing not-so-viable centers need to be responsibility of radiation oncology society?

If we are talking about centers in sizable, but remote, rural city (I don't know Sioux Falls?) with enough patient volume, maybe it's a different story. But, several years ago, those more legit reasonable volume centers in remote locations at least used offer high compensation and such concept may still work for current young graduating residents. "Hey, come to our town, it's remote, but it will pay you to build capital, pay your loans, whatever, just give us your service for good 5 years and if you decide to move on, we will find another one to come in for next 5 years." But with the rampant oversupply of graduates and decreasing reimbursement, those MBAs that runs hospitals are not dumb to pay that well as mentioned by several of this board. So, even for the purpose of providing service and access for rural sites, oversupply still is disgrace and hurts individual residents.

Another thought that comes in mind, even in rural sites, just having a LINAC and radonc doctor do not serve that rural community with adequate medical care. You need well organized functional multi-specialty ecosystem to provide the care that those patients in rural area deserve. So, what is the point of sending a newly trained radiation oncologist, armed with knowledge of SBRT, IMRT, etc, etc, to a center with a LINAC with portal only and having him/her interact with languishing local docs who can't do EUS, can't do TME, can't to MRI of pelvis, can't manage acute toxicity during chemoRT and send him 2hr away for admission, etc, etc. Well, if other specialties also oversupply residents and fellows and force young ones out to rural sites, things may be better. BUT other fields don't!!!!! What I'm trying to say is that distribution of healthcare providers to rural sites is a real problem. But, it is a problem that needs to be addressed and solved by the entire health care system (providers, payers both public and private, and patients), not a individual specialty society or just an individual claim to acknowledge or solve.

it’s the comparison that make sense of the situation.

If I were the OP, perhaps I had a 245 on step 1, had a PHD, but because I went to a non top 40 USMD school and matched in a tough year, I ended up doing radonc for 250k at bum****ville.

Meanwhile, DOs and FMGs are getting paid 220k doing primary care in the SF bay area.

And guess what, hospital 40 miles from SF would be BEGGING for those docs to come on board.

You bitch about the 245 step 1 radonc doc not being the perfect candidate because he/she didn’t get into MSKCC, while conveniently ignoring the fact that in some fields of medicine people graduating from the lowest community programs are being BEGGED to go work in town much bigger than where OP is in and due to their tight market, employers don’t give a **** about how AAA someone is.

I like my field to have demand like that.

If I were the OP, perhaps I had a 245 on step 1, had a PHD, but because I went to a non top 40 USMD school and matched in a tough year, I ended up doing radonc for 250k at bum****ville.

Meanwhile, DOs and FMGs are getting paid 220k doing primary care in the SF bay area.

And guess what, hospital 40 miles from SF would be BEGGING for those docs to come on board.

You bitch about the 245 step 1 radonc doc not being the perfect candidate because he/she didn’t get into MSKCC, while conveniently ignoring the fact that in some fields of medicine people graduating from the lowest community programs are being BEGGED to go work in town much bigger than where OP is in and due to their tight market, employers don’t give a **** about how AAA someone is.

For someone in IR you sure do like to troll the radonc boards.

The job board is irrelevant and it will always be irrelevant. The best jobs are not advertised. The last six residents from the program I trained at (which is a mid-tier program) ended up in Memphis, Boca Raton, Indianapolis, Chapel Hill, Ft Lauderdale, and New Bern (Coastal NC). None of those jobs were advertised. The job market is tightening and people should think about that but at this moment in time most residents are still ending up in pretty good positions. People should be aware that we don't know what it will look like in 5 years but if someone really loves Rad Onc I think its premature to tell them they will be miserable if they join. I think its an absolute fallacy to point to the ASTRO job board as evidence to support that point of view. Not trying to take away from the OP and others like them. But objectively they are still in the minority.

That's ridiculous. A med student should listen to your anecdotes and also assume jobs are not advertised - Maybe astro should start a choosing wisely campaign for advertising of jobs. Go look at the boards for other specialties. This thread should be closed, not much more will be gained from hearing how great cleveland suburb and costal NC is

For someone in IR you sure do like to troll the radonc boards.

Please elaborate in what way my comment is considered to be trolling according to the TOS? I am merely trying to have people understand OP’s view point because I am stuck in a not so desirable area for training myself and OP resonates with me.

That's ridiculous. A med student should listen to your anecdotes and also assume jobs are not advertised - Maybe astro should start a choosing wisely campaign for advertising of jobs. Go look at the boards for other specialties. This thread should be closed, not much more will be gained from hearing how great cleveland suburb and costal NC is

No. They should take the objective advise of private practitioners and academics on this and other threads who consistently say they don’t have to advertise. Your right that there are more jobs available in other fields and that their boards look better. If that’s super important to an applicant they should consider that.

That context is important. I recently met a few family med residents who are being begged to come out to smaller towns for upwards of $400K so being on the right side supply/demand curve makes a huge difference.

Most Americans actually do live on the eastern seaboard or california. Throw in a few large cities in Texas and Chicago, and you have an overwhelming majority. If you know of any 600k jobs in some hellhole pm me. not too many like that anymore.

600K...LOL! Don’t give them hope. #delusionalevenintheBFE

So, you are defining people who didn't get a job in desirable city as "undesirable" human being and "losers of competition" in the harsh world of medicine????

That aside, having lived in medium sized cities with direct proximity to rural areas, I strongly object to the idea of "somebody has to work there," which gets rephrased as "maldistribution" and used as an excuse to continue to expand residency slots.

First of all, many of those rural centers, especially the ones being advertised as "~100miles from whatever cities (many midwestern cities in fact", those pretty much popped up as entrepreneurial ventures of baby-boomer radoncs or expansion/competition projects of large hospital systems at the surge of 3D, IMRT, IGRT reimbursement or as expansion/competition projects. With reimbursement going down, I believe the sheer existence of those centers need to be challenged rather than being used as an excuse for maldistribution or supply concern. In fact, a lot of those centers basically have a single machine, less than 10 patients per day? If a center in very desirable city or reasonably desirable city has such low volume, can it continue to survive? So, why providing supply for staffing not-so-viable centers need to be responsibility of radiation oncology society?

If we are talking about centers in sizable, but remote, rural city (I don't know Sioux Falls?) with enough patient volume, maybe it's a different story. But, several years ago, those more legit reasonable volume centers in remote locations at least used offer high compensation and such concept may still work for current young graduating residents. "Hey, come to our town, it's remote, but it will pay you to build capital, pay your loans, whatever, just give us your service for good 5 years and if you decide to move on, we will find another one to come in for next 5 years." But with the rampant oversupply of graduates and decreasing reimbursement, those MBAs that runs hospitals are not dumb to pay that well as mentioned by several of this board. So, even for the purpose of providing service and access for rural sites, oversupply still is disgrace and hurts individual residents.

Another thought that comes in mind, even in rural sites, just having a LINAC and radonc doctor do not serve that rural community with adequate medical care. You need well organized functional multi-specialty ecosystem to provide the care that those patients in rural area deserve. So, what is the point of sending a newly trained radiation oncologist, armed with knowledge of SBRT, IMRT, etc, etc, to a center with a LINAC with portal only and having him/her interact with languishing local docs who can't do EUS, can't do TME, can't to MRI of pelvis, can't manage acute toxicity during chemoRT and send him 2hr away for admission, etc, etc. Well, if other specialties also oversupply residents and fellows and force young ones out to rural sites, things may be better. BUT other fields don't!!!!! What I'm trying to say is that distribution of healthcare providers to rural sites is a real problem. But, it is a problem that needs to be addressed and solved by the entire health care system (providers, payers both public and private, and patients), not a individual specialty society or just an individual claim to acknowledge or solve.
EXACTLY!

" I believe the sheer existence of those centers need to be challenged rather than being used as an excuse for maldistribution or supply concern. In fact, a lot of those centers basically have a single machine, less than 10 patients per day? If a center in very desirable city or reasonably desirable city has such low volume, can it continue to survive? So, why providing supply for staffing not-so-viable centers need to be responsibility of radiation oncology society?"

I guess I'm shocked by total disregard of providing access to cancer care to non-metropolitan human beings because you happen to find where they choose to live disgusting (perhaps, you find they themselves disgusting?) or there is no immediate access to pelvic MRI.

If you can't figure out how to help cancer patients without an EUS or pelvic MRI, while working with perfect referring docs who do everything by the text book, perhaps we do need fellowships in this field.

I don't understand the arrogance and entitlement of newly minted radiation oncologists. That somehow working in a small town is beneath you, despite the market pointing to the opposite. We get it, you had a high Step 1 score 8 years ago, and published two retrospective reviews that no one read or cared about. Here's the world.

Last edited:
I guess I'm shocked by total disregard of providing access to cancer care to non-metropolitan human beings because you happen to find where they choose to live disgusting (perhaps, you find they themselves disgusting?) or there is no immediate access to pelvic MRI.

If you can't figure out how to help cancer patients without an EUS or pelvic MRI, while working with perfect referring docs who do everything by the text book, perhaps we do need fellowships in this field.

I don't understand the arrogance and entitlement of newly minted radiation oncologists. That somehow working in a small town is beneath you, despite the market pointing to the opposite. We get it, you had a high Step 1 score 8 years ago, and published two retrospective reviews that no one read or cared about. Here's the world.

So if someone wants to be close to be with their elderly parents, who happened to live in NYC or LA, and is unhappy with a small town job due to lack of choices, they somehow show arrogance and entitlement and have blantant disregard for rural cancer patients?

So if someone wants to be close to be with their elderly parents, who happened to live in NYC or LA, and is unhappy with a small town job due to lack of choices, they somehow show arrogance and entitlement and have blantant disregard for rural cancer patients?
I didn't get that from her post at all.

I think the point is that there are going to be jobs in all locales and some locales are going to be rural with less access to specialized surgeons/procedures etc.

I have a GI locally I use for eus but have to send out patients for whipples, esophagectomy etc and don't feel that I hate my practice location because of it

If we are truly undesirable, and you truly have empathy for the rural patients, then why would you even want them to be treated by "undesirable" (ie bad) doctors like me? However, the point of the thread is not that rural people don't deserve care. They are human beings- of course they deserve care.

I don’t agree with people who call those who live in rural areas as “crawling from holes,” that was an unfortunate use of words by an exasperated person. People who were unfortunately born here cannot suddenly fix a bad economy and shouldn’t be branded as awful. The reason the whole city is not moving to better places is because they can’t afford it. My patients tell me all the time they would love to live elsewhere but they can't.

However, when everyone in this field meets a certain level of intelligence and ability, to just say future medical students who could potentially fall in your “undesirables” category should be the ones stuck in locations that severely affect their personal lives is ridiculous. Those medical students are not stupid, are not evil ogres with food stuck in their beards/hair, and are currently deciding if this field will give them the opportunities they hope for. Someone should treat the rural patients, but that is not a burden that needs to fall on the shoulders of medical students who never said they want to go to rural areas…and there are med students who want to go to rural areas, but the ones that do not should make a prudent decision regarding their career. There are subsections of some medical school slots meant only for people who plan on working in rural areas- those people can foresee themselves in these areas whether because they love rural life or they want to help underserved areas.

Of course, people who live in rural areas deserve healthcare.

The point of this thread is not that those jobs should not exist (although some of them actually are truly not economically feasible and were opened in a time of excess and greed). The point of this thread is to forewarn the current batch of medical students (not the current batch of residents or attendings or private practice doctors) that if you are interested in geography, it is difficult to find a job in high population areas. I can tell you at 18 and in my mid-20s I would have no interest in Bern, NC, or even Phoenix (which obviously is a big city). I wanted a level of flexibility that simply does not exist in this field, and I was foolish and did not know that. Literally we are expanding our definition of desirable location to include towns that in our early 20s we (some of us) would never consider but now that we have done the training and committed our lives to this job, we have to. Those medicals students have not yet done the training. These medical students should understand the geographical restrictions, so that in 5 years so they are not surprised. I don’t think college towns (at this point, I would take a job in a college town) are interesting and many people who are currently considering career options are still at the fork in the road and would appreciate knowing which direction is flexible.

The point is we sell to them that radiation is interesting (true), that you have great hours (with some new jobs, it’s not always the case- I do know people who get home late, weekends are generally free though), that the money is great (compensation is decreasing because of oversupply but still pretty great) and you will find great job opportunities in desirable areas.

Let’s say that even 60-70% (and I’m being very generous- both by percentage number and definition of “good area”- which includes Cleveland) of people find jobs in good high population areas, that means 30-40% are not finding jobs in those areas. If you are a candidate good enough to get into rad onc, then likely you would be an excellent candidate for many other fields. Then you as a potential candidate have to decide whether the odds of “being a desirable human being” and “getting a desirable job” in radiation oncology is worth it. Or would you rather go to internal medicine and be sure you end up where you want?

The only reason I picked off the top 3 because it’s pretty obvious to everyone outside of the field (ie med students) that those are top 3, and it’s easier to assume that you will have better odds of finding a good job coming out of there. It’s easy for a med student to bank on the quality of those programs. Let’s say they even know what top 10 is or top 15. After top 15, how is a student supposed to figure out which smaller, lesser known residency programs end up with good jobs, hope they match there, and then hope that in 5 years they too will end up with good jobs? In one interview day? Everything here is anonymous, they certainly won’t figure it out from this thread. The SDN residency ranking? No.

Let’s say that if they can’t get into top 15, then we tell them, okay med student, pick now where you want to be and match there. What if they don’t match there? What if they do match there and in 5 years the job market is even worse? Let’s say they match there, and they end up married to someone who needs a different location?

Let’s just even assume that the character attacks are true- I’m stupid; I’m lazy; I don’t know how to network; I’m not polished; I lack confidence; I’m a bad doctor; I don’t know how to please my referring physicians- how are the potential applicants supposed to look themselves in the mirror and know that they are not like me? You think people have that much self awareness? Nobody looks in the mirror and says, “Yes, I am stupid, lazy, lack social skills, unkempt, lack confidence and generally just suck at not just my job but existence. So as an undesirable human being, I deserve to be in Lalaville, flyover state, USA. I will choose radiation oncology even though other specialities, like medicine, might offer me, the undesirable lout, a job in a better place…BUT as an undesirable I must be true to my undesirable state and end up in Lalaville, so I will choose rad onc.” And again- why do the poor rural citizens deserve such a monster as their physician? (And so much of these character judgements are subjective- there is no objective scale of "polished.")

II’ve arbitrarily picked the “top 3” because that is the best odds because I can say with almost (not quite) certainty I’m not closing doors to them. That a large portion of America will still be available to them. They can probably figure out the next 15 great residencies, but afterwards, how are they supposed which small programs are reliable and keeps doors open vs unreliable ones that closes doors. As someone mentioned, in medicine, very few residencies close doors for private practice in desirable locations.

And clearly, how will they know if they will be able to network and will be able to find out about all those non-posted jobs that everyone else knows about?

You are now sending the potential applicant who could go into a different field and have much more flexibility through a series of smaller and smaller hoops to make sure they don’t fall in the 35% of people who end up in bad locations. And they STILL won’t have multiple options, even if they get one job offer in a good place. However, if they go into internal medicine, they might have multiple officers approaching similar pay, and their geographic future looks brighter.

I may have to accept my job and treat my patients with joy (and I do- I don’t treat them poorly just because I hate the surrounding town). However, they are early enough in their careers to be wary of empty promises and to choose their occupation and future flexibility wisely. Even the dumbest and laziest among them are intelligent and competent and have other career opportunities right now. Just because they care about geography, doesn't mean they act entitled. It means they are human beings.

It doesn’t make you a horrible person to not want to live in a small town. If you have a family, you have to think about how it affects your family. People want good school systems, and some people want more diversity of both people and cultural opportunities because they prefer that life for themselves and their children. A single person has difficulty here because of lack of cultural opportunities (and also want diversity of people) and it’s near impossible to date someone (and therefore difficult to build a family).

If you love rural areas (and there are many who do), then you are lucky because almost any field will provide you the opportunity to build the life you want.

Again, the post is for future applicants to make a prudent decision. I'm not threatening the current rad ones by stating that I feel so entitled I should get your job. I wish you the best in your job, and will not presume to make broad generalizations about your character or whether or not you are deserving of it.

If we are truly undesirable, and you truly have empathy for the rural patients, then why would you even want them to be treated by "undesirable" (ie bad) doctors like me? However, the point of the thread is not that rural people don't deserve care. They are human beings- of course they deserve care.

I don’t agree with people who call those who live in rural areas as “crawling from holes,” that was an unfortunate use of words by an exasperated person. People who were unfortunately born here cannot suddenly fix a bad economy and shouldn’t be branded as awful. The reason the whole city is not moving to better places is because they can’t afford it. My patients tell me all the time they would love to live elsewhere but they can't.

However, when everyone in this field meets a certain level of intelligence and ability, to just say future medical students who could potentially fall in your “undesirables” category should be the ones stuck in locations that severely affect their personal lives is ridiculous. Those medical students are not stupid, are not evil ogres with food stuck in their beards/hair, and are currently deciding if this field will give them the opportunities they hope for. Someone should treat the rural patients, but that is not a burden that needs to fall on the shoulders of medical students who never said they want to go to rural areas…and there are med students who want to go to rural areas, but the ones that do not should make a prudent decision regarding their career. There are subsections of some medical school slots meant only for people who plan on working in rural areas- those people can foresee themselves in these areas whether because they love rural life or they want to help underserved areas.

Of course, people who live in rural areas deserve healthcare.

The point of this thread is not that those jobs should not exist (although some of them actually are truly not economically feasible and were opened in a time of excess and greed). The point of this thread is to forewarn the current batch of medical students (not the current batch of residents or attendings or private practice doctors) that if you are interested in geography, it is difficult to find a job in high population areas. I can tell you at 18 and in my mid-20s I would have no interest in Bern, NC, or even Phoenix (which obviously is a big city). I wanted a level of flexibility that simply does not exist in this field, and I was foolish and did not know that. Literally we are expanding our definition of desirable location to include towns that in our early 20s we (some of us) would never consider but now that we have done the training and committed our lives to this job, we have to. Those medicals students have not yet done the training. These medical students should understand the geographical restrictions, so that in 5 years so they are not surprised. I don’t think college towns (at this point, I would take a job in a college town) are interesting and many people who are currently considering career options are still at the fork in the road and would appreciate knowing which direction is flexible.

The point is we sell to them that radiation is interesting (true), that you have great hours (with some new jobs, it’s not always the case- I do know people who get home late, weekends are generally free though), that the money is great (compensation is decreasing because of oversupply but still pretty great) and you will find great job opportunities in desirable areas.

Let’s say that even 60-70% (and I’m being very generous- both by percentage number and definition of “good area”- which includes Cleveland) of people find jobs in good high population areas, that means 30-40% are not finding jobs in those areas. If you are a candidate good enough to get into rad onc, then likely you would be an excellent candidate for many other fields. Then you as a potential candidate have to decide whether the odds of “being a desirable human being” and “getting a desirable job” in radiation oncology is worth it. Or would you rather go to internal medicine and be sure you end up where you want?

The only reason I picked off the top 3 because it’s pretty obvious to everyone outside of the field (ie med students) that those are top 3, and it’s easier to assume that you will have better odds of finding a good job coming out of there. It’s easy for a med student to bank on the quality of those programs. Let’s say they even know what top 10 is or top 15. After top 15, how is a student supposed to figure out which smaller, lesser known residency programs end up with good jobs, hope they match there, and then hope that in 5 years they too will end up with good jobs? In one interview day? Everything here is anonymous, they certainly won’t figure it out from this thread. The SDN residency ranking? No.

Let’s say that if they can’t get into top 15, then we tell them, okay med student, pick now where you want to be and match there. What if they don’t match there? What if they do match there and in 5 years the job market is even worse? Let’s say they match there, and they end up married to someone who needs a different location?

Let’s just even assume that the character attacks are true- I’m stupid; I’m lazy; I don’t know how to network; I’m not polished; I lack confidence; I’m a bad doctor; I don’t know how to please my referring physicians- how are the potential applicants supposed to look themselves in the mirror and know that they are not like me? You think people have that much self awareness? Nobody looks in the mirror and says, “Yes, I am stupid, lazy, lack social skills, unkempt, lack confidence and generally just suck at not just my job but existence. So as an undesirable human being, I deserve to be in Lalaville, flyover state, USA. I will choose radiation oncology even though other specialities, like medicine, might offer me, the undesirable lout, a job in a better place…BUT as an undesirable I must be true to my undesirable state and end up in Lalaville, so I will choose rad onc.” And again- why do the poor rural citizens deserve such a monster as their physician? (And so much of these character judgements are subjective- there is no objective scale of "polished.")

II’ve arbitrarily picked the “top 3” because that is the best odds because I can say with almost (not quite) certainty I’m not closing doors to them. That a large portion of America will still be available to them. They can probably figure out the next 15 great residencies, but afterwards, how are they supposed which small programs are reliable and keeps doors open vs unreliable ones that closes doors. As someone mentioned, in medicine, very few residencies close doors for private practice in desirable locations.

And clearly, how will they know if they will be able to network and will be able to find out about all those non-posted jobs that everyone else knows about?

You are now sending the potential applicant who could go into a different field and have much more flexibility through a series of smaller and smaller hoops to make sure they don’t fall in the 35% of people who end up in bad locations. And they STILL won’t have multiple options, even if they get one job offer in a good place. However, if they go into internal medicine, they might have multiple officers approaching similar pay, and their geographic future looks brighter.

I may have to accept my job and treat my patients with joy (and I do- I don’t treat them poorly just because I hate the surrounding town). However, they are early enough in their careers to be wary of empty promises and to choose their occupation and future flexibility wisely. Even the dumbest and laziest among them are intelligent and competent and have other career opportunities right now. Just because they care about geography, doesn't mean they act entitled. It means they are human beings.

It doesn’t make you a horrible person to not want to live in a small town. If you have a family, you have to think about how it affects your family. People want good school systems, and some people want more diversity of both people and cultural opportunities because they prefer that life for themselves and their children. A single person has difficulty here because of lack of cultural opportunities (and also want diversity of people) and it’s near impossible to date someone (and therefore difficult to build a family).

If you love rural areas (and there are many who do), then you are lucky because almost any field will provide you the opportunity to build the life you want.

Again, the post is for future applicants to make a prudent decision. I'm not threatening the current rad ones by stating that I feel so entitled I should get your job. I wish you the best in your job, and will not presume to make broad generalizations about your character or whether or not you are deserving of it.

The title of the thread is not in-line with your contention that this was meant to be a discussion about geographical limitations.

No Physician Shortage Despite Dire Warnings

"If you were an economist, you would say, We've got to get supply to equal demand, so we will just make more docs and force them out of New York City or San Francisco and they will go to North Dakota. But we know that is garbage. No country with big rural populations has ever solved maldistribution this way due to the fact that highly trained doctors do not want to relocate to small, rural cities. It's not just the United States. The main reason is because they want a lot of the social amenities that come along with a high socioeconomic status. These tend to be located in larger, urban areas, and getting this very talented pool out into rural areas is just not going to happen unless you literally force them, and we are against forcing doctors."

Lol. ASTRO is not against the forcing.

"If you were an economist, you would say, We've got to get supply to equal demand, so we will just make more docs and force them out of New York City or San Francisco and they will go to North Dakota. But we know that is garbage. No country with big rural populations has ever solved maldistribution this way due to the fact that highly trained doctors do not want to relocate to small, rural cities. It's not just the United States. The main reason is because they want a lot of the social amenities that come along with a high socioeconomic status. These tend to be located in larger, urban areas, and getting this very talented pool out into rural areas is just not going to happen unless you literally force them, and we are against forcing doctors."

What a thread. I'm one of the "lucky" ones that somehow ended up with a job in a major metropolitan area after finishing residency. I like my job (so far), but it's incredibly depressing to know that moving elsewhere may be hard or impossible. If I had to do it again, knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I'd choose this field again given how geographically restrictive it is, even in the best of times. For the med students reading this, know that it's not too late even if you're a fourth year who has already submitted a rank list. You'll soon see that people switch residencies all the time. Radonc is a great field, but there are so many more things that go in to a happy life.

very interesting read actually thanks for posting. I will say though that zeke is a snakeoil salesman now, total politician no connection to his past as an oncologist. He loves doing things like this "A large part of the fear was that if you add millions of new people with health insurance and you are not adding doctors to cover them, wait times will go up. There was no evidence that that was true. Despite the fact that we added 22 million Americans through the ACA, I do not know that anyone has seen general wait times around the country go up." A totally made up statistic. He basically goes around and says there is no evidence for anything to fit his talking points. Its an insurance tactic which is essentially who he is in the pockets of. Obamacare did nothing to stem overtreatment costs, all that $ is going to insurance companies. How about there is no evidence that insurance are not a blood sucking sycophants draining our system Zeke?

Again, "its the prices, stupid" not the insurance companies that is the big driver of health care costs i.e. zeke's employer. i.e ASTRO clique.

This is really a simple issue and it's shocking to see all the sanctimonious talk on this thread.

Simply put: If being in major coastal city is very important to you, you probably shouldn't apply to this field unless you are an astounding candidate -- even people from top 10 programs have a lot of trouble landing there.

If you are flexible and okay living in the Midwest or South, then you'll be more than happy.

End of story.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.