FUTURE RESIDENT, DO NOT BECOME A RADIATION ONCOLOGIST!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not helpful to state one field is safer than the other due to the unpredictability of AI, but those who states that DR will be easier to automate than Radonc is just plain wrong.

A specialty that predominantly uses ONE theraputic medicine (photon) by applying it in a more or less predictable way governed by guidelines are far more of a low hanging fruit than automaton of diagnostic radiology. Neither are far from reality though.

Watson oncology is already reality. However no actual machine learning based radiology reading software is on the market despite years of hype.

Our radiologists use a software package that evaluates volumetry/size of lesions. They use it for clinical trials in oncology, where you need to do RECIST all the time.
This whole process used to happen manually and cost ours, not it't pretty much automated with graphs and all.

I've see software packages which would detect a nodule/lesion you pointed out in the first CT/MRI in later CTs/MRIs and tell you if it has grown or not.

Here's some more on lung nodules...

Towards automatic pulmonary nodule management in lung cancer screening with deep learning

Members don't see this ad.

If you check the arro surveys, $250-275K was the average starting salary for a partnership track position a decade ago. I guess not a lot has changed

Except that a decade ago after 2 years you became partner and $250-$275
more than doubled ... from what I understand 3-5 years is the norm now and many positions are non partnership tract.

I remember being warned over and over again about the need to thoroughly investigate all previous hires before joining a private practice because there were these evil senior partners or partnership groups lurking out there who hire bright eyed new graduates but find lame reasons for not offering partnership after years of hard work. Now many private groups (and even academic centers) just come right out and say non-partnership/non-tenure tract, year by year contract, etc (while keeping the extra profit themselves) simply because they know they can get away with it.

I can’t believe that our field is in such an unbelievable state of decay that I’m agreeing with a post above wishing for a return to the “good ol days” of urorads (kind of like how my ultra liberal friends who thought the sky was falling and staged protest at the time would kill to have President George Bush back)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Agree this is not the thread for AI. I am among the leaders in the country in what AI can do in medicine and Im telling you it will not have an impact on rad onc in a meaningful way for many many years, for certain it is not impacting the job market in any way right now.

I just spoke with someone else at a top 5 program, poor guy has to go to rural Connecticut next year for a job as his wife teaches at a college there and she cant find anything anywhere else that would be reasonable for them (you think rad onc is hard, try academic liberal arts jobs). 2 kids and family is about 1.5 hours away. He cant find anything within 2.5-3 hours of their house, and the offer he did get they know his situation and offered him 180k starting. They are in serious trouble w job and interpersonally, he thinks he will have to locums at whatever intervals he can find it. Med Students, listen up, you dont want to be in this type of situation. Stay Away from Rad Onc, dont even think about it at this juncture, our leadership has failed us we all know about it

I always thought this was competative. And people would kill to be in this specialty

Members don't see this ad :)
If you check the arro surveys, $250-275K was the average starting salary for a partnership track position a decade ago. I guess not a lot has changed

That survey has had 30% response rate, pretty consistent from my conversations with people [though I do not administer so any inside info appreciated] and I interpret it to be more academic based.

Anecdotal, my cycle went to 3 prior previous practice locations. Two of those practices sold to hospital groups. The third was forced out by a university who was hiring de novo.
Starting salary one piece of equation. There are no partnership tracks with hospital groups.

Interviewed with a 4th true private practice group. Asked about partnership. Answer '4 or 5 years and we'll see, not in contract'.

I know you have had many helpful posts, but trust me - a lot has changed. Every academic satellite is mostly a chair / dept taking over a private practice for a fixed salary job. And on a personal level, a lot of these chairs hate PP guys from their generation, because the income disparity was real and big. And to fight this they turn around and make sure we have even less of the pie. Should be said still a good paying profession, but as many others have pointed out, this is pretty much IM and some IM subspecialty pay except with drastic restrictions on geography.

Except that a decade ago after 2 years you became partner and $250-$275
more than doubled ... from what I understand 3-5 years is the norm now and many positions are non partnership tract.

I remember being warned over and over again about the need to thoroughly investigate all previous hires before joining a private practice because there were these evil senior partners or partnership groups lurking out there who hire bright eyed new graduates but find lame reasons for not offering partnership after years of hard work. Now many private groups (and even academic centers) just come right out and say non-partnership/non-tenure tract, year by year contract, etc (while keeping the extra profit themselves) simply because they know they can get away with it.

I can’t believe that our field is in such an unbelievable state of decay that I’m agreeing with a post above wishing for a return to the “good ol days” of urorads (kind of like how my ultra liberal friends who thought the sky was falling and staged protest at the time would kill to have President George Bush back)

Fair points.... seems like partnership track has disappeared in a lot of the more desirable locales. That large practice in NC has not been advertising it in their last posting on ASTRO.

I know you have had many helpful posts, but trust me - a lot has changed

Should be said still a good paying profession, but as many others have pointed out, this is pretty much IM and some IM subspecialty pay except with drastic restrictions on geography.

I know.... I am not blind to the reality of what has been happening the last several years, and was shocked (when I graduated) at how many new programs were coming online without a clear indication as to why, on the demand side.

I just thought it was interesting that the starting salary hasn't really budged.

I do know for a fact that I've seen offers for $500K+ in the last few years outside of major metro areas away from the coasts. I know junior residents from mine and other programs that have taken those jobs for a few years before sliding into positions elsewhere that worked out better for them and their families. I don't know that many internists making that kind of money, at least not right away.

Again, if someone is completely location-agnostic, I do believe there are jobs out there that will pay that.

Last edited:
Our radiologists use a software package that evaluates volumetry/size of lesions. They use it for clinical trials in oncology, where you need to do RECIST all the time.
This whole process used to happen manually and cost ours, not it't pretty much automated with graphs and all.

I've see software packages which would detect a nodule/lesion you pointed out in the first CT/MRI in later CTs/MRIs and tell you if it has grown or not.

Here's some more on lung nodules...

Towards automatic pulmonary nodule management in lung cancer screening with deep learning

If you read my post, it talked about “automation of DR”. Detection and description of what we see in an image is a very small part of DR.

If you read my post, it talked about “automation of DR”. Detection and description of what we see in an image is a very small part of DR.

Really? Detection and description of what you see is a very small part of diagnostic radiology? What's the bigger part, writing "could be tumor, could be treatment-related"?

Really? Detection and description of what you see is a very small part of diagnostic radiology? What's the bigger part, writing "could be tumor, could be treatment-related"?

Again, since you are not a radiologist, I imagine your ignorance in our day to day work is justified. It would be as offensive for me to say all radonc do is to draw circles around tumors (detected by other people) and babysit therapy machines. You can see why your comment is considered trolling here.

Reactions: 1 users

This thread may have run it’s course with regard to the original topic but I was wondering whether you guys could provide some references for AI in general and specifically medical applications for the benefit of those of us who are interested but relatively oblivious. Maybe a new thread?

Also might be helpful for somebody to start a new thread “tips for finding a job in the current dismal job market” or something like that

Again, since you are not a radiologist, I imagine your ignorance in our day to day work is justified. It would be as offensive for me to say all radonc do is to draw circles around tumors (detected by other people) and babysit therapy machines. You can see why your comment is considered trolling here.
Outside of procedures, what else does DR do except provide interpretation of various diagnostic/radiographic modalities?

I'm not trying to troll btw.... It's called "diagnostic" radiology after all...

This is actually pretty accurate. The only thing you forgot is that we run them through a flat table CT after giving them a bean bag to lay in. Only after that do we draw circles. Anyone who claims we do more than this clearly has a hyper-inflated sense of self-worth. In fact, there is an entire cache of radiation concologists who babysit machines for a living called locums.

Outside of procedures, what else does DR do except provide interpretation of various diagnostic/radiographic modalities?

I'm not trying to troll btw.... It's called "diagnostic" radiology after all...

Understood, Like I said earlier, the discovery and detection of findings on images is actually just a small part of what we do. The actual interpretation and formulation of a differential is the major part.

Just wanted to chime in and let people know that, yes, there are private practices who still offer partnership. Our pp is very large and has had the same contract for all radoncs for years. Our new hires sign the same contract I did and will have the same parternship opportunities. We will NOT take advantage of young grads simply because the market for jobs is tight. We want our new physicians to have the same incentive we do in order to build and maintain a great practice. In my opinion, that's what any good practice would do.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UNLESS YOU CAN MATCH INTO A TOP 3 PROGRAM.

I will share my experience of job finding so that prospective applicants and medical students have a clear understanding of “job opportunities” in radiation oncology when you graduate from a mediocre/nobody program. I graduated from a small program with no name recognition. It was essentially a private practice group with a university name backing it up, that had somehow tricked the ACGME into giving them a program. They had little to no connection to potential work places, and on top of that, showed no interest in helping you find a job (which actually is more common across the nation than you may suspect despite their warm smiles during residency interview days. They got what they wanted of you- what happens afterwards is of no concern to them). In a 4 year period of graduating residents, not one person got a job in a reasonable metropolitan area. In fact, one of the people graduating after me couldn’t even find a job in a largely homogenous, unexciting, culturally devoid area of American society, which is even sadder because you would think it shouldn’t be so hard to find a job there. She didn’t even get interviews in the area and she wasn’t dumb or awkward, and she was chief! She had to go to another unexciting area, one farther away from her family. Two others quit their first jobs suddenly because it was so bad.

I applied to over 50 jobs in every part of the country. I got 3 interviews. I interviewed in one place in a remote town on the east coast. The town was very small but the landscape was beautiful, so I figured I could live with a small town as long as I could walk among the beautiful landscape. I did not get that job.

My second interview was in a larger metropolitan area in the Midwest (not Chicago), but the group was kind enough to make it clear that my work hours would be 6:30-7 am (tumor boards) to 7pm-8 pm, with multiple inpatient consults per week, and covering multiple facilities, and a starting salary of 220k. I don’t actually care about only 220k but I went into radiation oncology because I do care about my personal life. Most importantly, I know that I get tired after 8-9 hrs of work, and 12 hrs would lead to burnout fast. While the city was larger, it was definitely not my ideal location. I could not imagine being a pleasant doctor to my patients feeling burnt out so early on in my career. While it may be easy for some to poo poo those of us who care about our schedule, I would assume that the majority of radiation oncology applicants apply to rad onc because of both the actual job and the promised work schedule. There were multiple other specialties I would have liked but this one won out because I liked the combination of content and lifestyle (including potentially living in AWESOME locations!)

I was offered an interview at a place (4 hrs from Minneapolis, 3 hrs from an airport) where the recruiter on the phone literally told me that my salary was guaranteed for 2 years, after which I would have to come up with a “creative” solution to supporting my salary. Was I going to sell cupcakes?

The last place (and current job) I interviewed at, I ONLY got the interview because of a connection (not through residency). The recruiter told me he got hundreds of applications (many from new grads) and the only reason he interviewed me was because he recognized the name of the person/connection. I actually love my job and co-workers. What I don’t love, and can be extremely depressing is the location. It has one of the highest rates of poverty and violence for a town of its size (it’s not big). The strip malls are becoming empty and closing down. There are many small depressing gambling places with slot machines and strip bars with neon signs with red legs that criss cross (they’re not even a sleek strip bars). There are parks where people flash you (yes, they pull their pants down) as you are taking a stroll, enjoying the flowers, and you hear conversations in the distance consisting of “Don’t do it, don’t do it” and the response “But I don’t want to live anymore.” It’s not funny. It’s sad. The school system is atrocious. The same bank got robbed 3 times in 6 months by a guy on foot (no getaway car) and a knife (no gun). Property taxes are high because the town has no economy. Buying property is a sure way to lose money and good luck trying to sell it a few years later. The closest reasonable city is 90-120 min away. The only reason people live here is because they are too poor to move. It is one of those towns that the New Yorker does a story on because of how depressed it is- the anguish of non-urban middle of nowhere America.

While I actually like my job, if I die in 5-10 years and I have spent every day of the last 5-10 years of my life in this town, I may on my death bed wonder why didn’t I die before radiation oncology residency, or even before medical school? I gave up so much of my life trying to build a dream that is not remotely attainable, and it wasn’t something absurd like “I want to be a rock star, or actor and live in a penthouse in Tokyo.” Medicine is supposed to be dependable and open up opportunities not limit your life drastically. That is why we make such a huge sacrifice with regards to our time and money. I not only wanted one job opportunity in a great location with good hours but RATHER (gasp! Oh my!) I wanted multiple options from which I could choose. That is every intelligent hardworking person’s expectation. That is why we work hard. That after years and years of studying and accumulating debt you have multiple opportunities, not worsening limitations. I got an MD and went into radiation oncology. I did not get a PhD in medieval art history.

Even if you don’t live in an impoverished area, you probably will end up in a mediocre area at best where the most exciting store is a Barnes and Noble. The majority of 21 year olds who take on medical school debt, and the majority of 25 years graduating with 120K (probably more like 200k) of debt never say, "I want to live in a place where Barnes and Noble is the hot spot in town." The once a month coupon I get for a free latte for being a B&N member doesn’t cut it for me. That was not my dream. It is still not my dream. I still look out for jobs in reasonable locations (like suburbs of a large metropolis, I would accept a 220k salary, but I can’t work 12-13 hr days).

You know what I dream of? I dream of living in a community where people read and have intellectual discussions and are cultivated and interested in things beyond sports and hunting. I dream of school systems that produce educated children. I dream of neighborhoods that are actually lovely. I dream of parks where I won’t be flashed. I dream of a town where the best restaurant is not Paneras and the most interesting store is not Micheals. I dream of banks that get robbed by men (or women) with guns and getaway cars. I truly with all of my heart when I applied to residency did not think this was a wild dream- apparently it is a wild farfetched dream.

Those of you who are guaranteed entry into MSK, MD Anderson and Harvard- by all means, apply! Because you probably will get your (esp non-academic) dream job. You can get a job in Hawaii, in California, in New York City, in Boston, in the DC area and in Sedona. These programs do have amazing opportunities. BUT MOST OF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GO THERE FOR RESIDENCY. For the rest of you, especially ones who are going to match in middle of the road to unheard of programs (the vast majority despite the empty promises at interview time), you will not capture the life you have imagined.

I remember when I was an intern and like a dumba**, thought to myself, I am so much better than these people going into internal medicine. Those people live in San Francisco, New York, and the DC area with good schedules and decent salaries (not 500k, but above 200). They have awesome personal lives! They are laughing at me. Actually, they are not thinking of me because they have better things to do, such as take part in the liveliness of their communities. I could never find a job that pays over 200k with a decent schedule in those areas- absolutely NEVER. Can Harvard grads? Yes. But not me nor my kind.

I actually considered aerospace medicine but I didn’t apply (not sure I would’ve gotten in) because the job opportunities were limited to maybe 3 cities. I couldn’t commit to that. I feel like I ended up with worse.

The friends I know, none of whom went to top 3 programs, all have mediocre jobs at best- by no means a dream job. Either the location is terrible or the work load is insane, often coupled with an internist salary (like 250k max).

I don’t understand the legal details of why we are in this situation. The reasons why it’s happening is not at ALL remotely important to those of you who are applying to rad onc residency right now. What is important is that this is the reality, and that it is extremely unlikely to change soon as no one is working on a solution. And you deserve to know (as I severely wish I had known) before you throw away the rest of your life.

This is my day: I wake up, I go to work, arriving at 7:45 to 8 am, and I leave around 5 pm. I read, watch tv, and/or do some “hobby” to pass the time. I have no friends outside of work. There are no restaurants that are exciting. There are no cultural events. There is zero reason to leave my apartment other than to put gas in my car or go to the grocery store. The closest Whole Foods and Trader Joes are more than an hour away. Sometimes I play the lottery to throw excitement into my life. I don’t win. My most interesting thoughts this winter have been 1.) in response to seeing rabbit tracks in the snow, “Oh my. A bunny has passed this way.” And 2.) in response to the light pattern cast by the sun through the cheap plastic blinds on my beige apartment wall, “Well, isn’t the morning light lovely today.” These thoughts are only truly exciting if you are Beatrix Potter or a 17th century Dutch master painter who specializes in light and shadow.

My bank account is growing and growing but it does not make me happy because I have nothing to spend it on. Seriously, the money is not even exciting because I have nothing to spend it on. Married physicians leave town within 2-3 years because the spouses get depressed or the children need to actually go to decent schools.

My only goal (because doubtful in 7 – 10 years, I’m going to find a good job because contrary to popular belief the market will not fix itself) is to save aggressively and “retire” in 10 years (and live frugally), and say good bye to radiation oncology (not even because I hate it- I don’t hate the job itself, but because I simply can’t find a job in a good enough location, and money is not the end all of my life). Do I want to retire early? No, I wanted to have a long fulfilling career which includes a cultivated personal life. I can’t get that, and so therefore, I’m just going to “transition” out. I will be the unemployed physician, the physician no longer using their MD.

No matter how kind and wonderful of a human being you are, no matter how much you love radiation oncology (and it is interesting but so are other specialties, and so are other non-medical fields), it is extremely difficult to live in a depressing town. That is why depressing towns have lower life expectancies- it takes its toll on you.

My other option is to do locums- but that’s not a great way to start your career and obviously not stable. Perhaps I could do a “fellowship?” Absolutely not. Fellowships are jokes and in my opinion delays your growth as a physician because you just continue to be the baby doctor. And I’m not even sure it would have helped.

Please be wise. Looking back on it, after not having matched in a top program, I wish I had dropped out of radiation oncology all together and done some other field with much better living opportunities. Just rank the programs whose alumni do have amazing jobs. Don’t be fooled by promises at interviews from smaller institutions. If they tell you people have great jobs, they are lying to you. Alumni who graduated even 4 years ago don’t count. Be wise, prudent and suspicious; be wary that some people say they are part of a larger system in a big city but in reality work in the middle of nowhere at a satellite facility, making half of what the main institution makes. Only accepting residency in a top tier program is sort of like the people who apply to law school, but will ONLY go to law school if it’s a top 5-10 program esp when the economy was bad- those people were brilliant. They didn’t want to graduate from a medicore law school and end up in the middle of nowhere just so they could have a job and pay off their debt and catch up on retirement saving. Our problem is not even related to the S&P 500 index.

The moral obligation falls on the residency programs. I don’t know the details of anti-trust laws but do know Congress often grants lobbyists from various industries exemptions. Are the people who benefit from residency expansions going to spend time lobbying Congress to stop it? Of course not. Not to mention it is usual that a group of supposedly intelligent human beings are approaching a problem in such an uninspiring manner- basically saying there is no solution. There is alway a solution- you just have to work on it. Even if it is basically impossible to fix this situation, the exact reasons why we can’t fix the problem are not at all important for the prospective applicant. The only thing that is important is that a deplorable job market is the reality, and going into radiation oncology limits your life opportunities, rather than expanding it. It is sad and hard to say this but it is true. Radiation oncology for me has been more of a prison rather than an expansion of my life.

The problem is that people want you to be grateful for an opportunity that you never wanted. We are all intelligent- we never had to go into this field, but they want us to be relieved just to get a job, no matter where it is. We are not unskilled laborers- our prospects should not be poor. As intelligent human beings with aspirations, we SHOULD expect jobs in nice areas as we DO deserve it. If that is not available, then the FUTURE applicants should clearly know this. We should not present them with false hope. That’s immoral.

I wanted to live in a real metropolitan area- that was a basic need for me. The FUTURE should look for other opportunities when they don’t match somewhere that will provide them with hopeful opportunities, and the very basics for their life goals.

Seriously, PROSPECTIVE APPLICANTS, if you don’t match into a top program, don’t bother doing it. It is NOT worth it. There are ways to have back-up specialties. Someone from my med school applied to both plastic surgery and family medicine- she was a great applicant- nobody had an issue with it. Another applied to both orthopedics and derm- no one had an issue with him either. It is POSSIBLE and REASONABLE and INTELLIGENT to have multiple interests and end up with the residency program that gives you the BEST opportunity to live the life you want, including your personal life. That is how I would have done it on retrospect. Or just apply to rad onc and if you don’t match to an awesome program, re-apply to a different specialty the next year.

I'm not just disgruntled. I’m massively disappointed in myself that I did not have a better understanding of what I accepted several years ago. I feel tricked, but mostly I feel stupid. How could I have been so foolish? I was an adult yet so blind to my future. I feel ashamed for not being able to project myself far enough into the future to understand how little control I would have over my occupation (including the where) and how much it would affect my daily life. I’m ashamed that I allowed my debt to accumulate and my retirement goals to be ignored for this career that is essentially a prison, that now I have no choice but to stay in this job for another 10 years just to catch up on repaying debt and saving for retirement. I can’t just walk away now because I have no other skills. Dr. Zeitman has hope for the future because he does not have to feel the pain of the present, nor do his residents. I wish the best for Dr. Zeitman but far more importantly, I wish the best for our current young future, who should not make the same mistake I made or many others of us have made. We should not lie to them about their future. Going to a top 3 institution may still get you an amazing job in an ideal location (esp non-academic); going to a nobody institution gets you misery.

I know that a lot of people convince themselves by trite sayings, “but still we are aren’t in internal medicine, “ “hey, there’s still nothing else better out there,” but, yes, there are better things out there and they do provide a better tomorrow. Many people just do not want to admit to themselves that they made a mistake. It is extremely hard to tell yourself you made a mistake by choosing this field. It makes you feel like your entire essence is a failure, that all your hard work and rationality was a mistake and a failure, but I did make a mistake and I want you, the future applicant to know this. For those of who us who did not go to Harvard/MSK/MDAnderson, we don’t want to call ourselves stupid and makes ourselves feel bad compared to them, so we pep talk ourselves in all sorts of ways so that we can keep on with our lives…whatever, future applicant, don’t make the same mistake we did.

I may love radiation oncology, I may enjoy my actual job, but every time I drive home and pass the neon criss-crossing legs, I do recognize I made a massive mistake and it will affect the remainder of my future. If you all are okay with living 2 hrs outside of Saint Louis, 90 min outside of Kansas City, 2hrs outside of Cincinatti, 2 hours outside of Indianopolis, somewhere in Nebraska or Abilene, TX, by all means become a radiation oncologist! (And I’m not EVEN sure I saw jobs in these locations). Otherwise, do not be lured by the money. It’s not worth it.

Best wishes to all of you. With all of my heart, I hope everyone ends up with a well rounded wonderful life. May your local bank robberies not be successful with just a knife and shoes. (By the way, there are plenty of guns here, but not everyone can afford them).

I will now return to convincing myself that bunny tracks in the snow are mind blowing.

Thank you for sharing this. I think this is very important for prospective medical students to see. I was in a very similar boat. I interviewed at a place where the main (and only) shopping center was a walmart. It is very hard to understand the realities of such a place if you haven't lived there or seen it. I certainly didn't grasp that until I interviewed there. The pay would have been exceptionally good, but I was very worried about my what my life outside of work would be. This was my first job offer. After reading your post I am grateful that I did not pick that place.

My second job offer was from a place at a larger metropolitan area in the midwest with dubious practice patterns. The pay was a bit less, the location wasn't great (but at least had a shopping mall and an airport), but I just knew I could not practice in a place where I could not sleep well at night knowing that I had done the right things for my patients during the day.

My third offer was from another small city of about 50k. The pay was good. The location was a bit better with some semblance of culture. But as a young, single guy in his 30s, I just wasn't sure how I could live there. The median age of that place was 50 or 60. How would I have made any friends outside of work? How would I have socialized with people that I have nothing in common with? How about dating and trying to find a partner?

My final offer and current job, was purely based on luck and knowing someone who knew someone through a family friend (not even from work or residency). It's in a larger metropolitan area. There is an airport close to me allowing me to go on many trips just for the weekend. I enjoy my job itself and have started to enjoy the location too. It's definitely not coastal california, but now I know it could be much worse.

I count my blessings every day after reading your post. We were in the same boat but I just got lucky. I could have not been as lucky and would have had to pick between those three options. Medical students who are thinking about radiation oncology need to see this and hear this. They need to know how limited career options are becoming. Honestly, in a few years, even those job options or kansas or Iowa might not even be there anymore and then we'll be seeing posts about residents complaining that they cannot even find a job. At the end of the day you still have a job, this might not be the case in the future.

I also think that it's sad that people are calling you a troll and trying to find character flaws that might explain your situation. You're only sharing your own reality. I don't understand why it's making others so defensive as it does not change their reality.

Knowing what I know now, would I have done it all over again and gone into radiation oncology? Absolutely. I did not want to do anything else in medicine. I love radiation oncology so much that even if I'd picked one of my other offers, I would have still been happy and still put up with the location or other downsides as best as I could have. But that's not the case for everyone. Some people really value the location of their practice. Some people really value working shorter schedules. For those people, radiation oncology is no longer a good bet. And for everyone who still loves the field so much that they want to go into it, they need to think hard and long about its ramification on their future lives.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for sharing this. I think this is very important for prospective medical students to see. I was in a very similar boat. I interviewed at a place where the main (and only) shopping center was a walmart. It is very hard to understand the realities of such a place if you haven't lived there or seen it. I certainly didn't grasp that until I interviewed there. The pay would have been exceptionally good, but I was very worried about my what my life outside of work would be. This was my first job offer. After reading your post I am grateful that I did not pick that place.

My second job offer was from a place at a larger metropolitan area in the midwest with dubious practice patterns. The pay was a bit less, the location wasn't great (but at least had a shopping mall and an airport), but I just knew I could not practice in a place where I could not sleep well at night knowing that I had done the right things for my patients during the day.

My third offer was from another small city of about 50k. The pay was good. The location was a bit better with some semblance of culture. But as a young, single guy in his 30s, I just wasn't sure how I could live there. The median age of that place was 50 or 60. How would I have made any friends outside of work? How would I have socialized with people that I have nothing in common with? How about dating and trying to find a partner?

My final offer and current job, was purely based on luck and knowing someone who knew someone through a family friend (not even from work or residency). It's in a larger metropolitan area. There is an airport close to me allowing me to go on many trips just for the weekend. I enjoy my job itself and have started to enjoy the location too. It's definitely not coastal california, but now I know it could be much worse.

I count my blessings every day after reading your post. We were in the same boat but I just got lucky. I could have not been as lucky and would have had to pick between those three options. Medical students who are thinking about radiation oncology need to see this and hear this. They need to know how limited career options are becoming. Honestly, in a few years, even those job options or kansas or Iowa might not even be there anymore and then we'll be seeing posts about residents complaining that they cannot even find a job. At the end of the day you still have a job, this might not be the case in the future.

I also think that it's sad that people are calling you a troll and trying to find character flaws that might explain your situation. You're only sharing your own reality. I don't understand why it's making others so defensive as it does not change their reality.

Knowing what I know now, would I have done it all over again and gone into radiation oncology? Absolutely. I did not want to do anything else in medicine. I love radiation oncology so much that even if I'd picked one of my other offers, I would have still been happy and still put up with the location or other downsides as best as I could have. But that's not the case for everyone. Some people really value the location of their practice. Some people really value working shorter schedules. For those people, radiation oncology is no longer a good bet. And for everyone who still loves the field so much that they want to go into it, they need to think hard and long about its ramification on their future lives.
It is very helpful for medical students and other radiation oncologists to hear 'real" job search experiences, not the propaganda that ASTRO spouts. I am really curious if ASTRO will address the issue in San Antonio in a major forum or will they role out their usual fluff like "translating science and technology into cancer....."

Last edited:
I think there's a lot of good stuff being posted here about the job market. I encourage continued discussion. Unfortunate to hear that the majority of what seems to be out there is 250k in a tiny city working as an 'academic' satellite faculty.

I informally request that AI discussions be made into its own thread so as to not dilute this concept of the spiraling job market.

I formally request that putting down of what other professions do (discussion of the job market is OK) NOT be done in this thread, and that be either left to a private conversation between the parties involved, or ideally, not done at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Unfortunate to hear that the majority of what seems to be out there is 250k in a tiny city working as an 'academic' satellite faculty.

This is not at all consistent with what recent graduates I know have been offered, and certainly not consistent with MGMA data, even for the bottom end. Yes, there may be a few employers trying to fill satellite centers with desperate candidates on the cheap, but I don't think it's the norm. Unless I'm missing something major, it seems solid, non-desperate 3A candidates are getting similar starting offers across the board well north of that. There will always be exploitative employers and we should not welcome the creation or perception of a new normal based off of a few lousy job or "fellowship" ads.

Unquestionably there is a supply-demand problem, and perhaps some hysteria is justified based on where things are going. But it is quite evident that there are jobs out there, a few in 'desirable locations' (however one might define that) with reasonable pay. As I and others have said, the ASTRO job board (particularly in January) does not fully reflect the job market. It may be that few jobs go unadvertised, but some practices choose to advertise their jobs on their own hospital HR sites (i.e. a practice that already has qualified candidates lined up based upon past networking). The ASTRO board (and the headhunter solicitations) are usually for those practices that need to advertise for one reason or another. So I would say if you truly love this field, and have some flexibility on where you land, do not completely dismiss it.

Just wanted to chime in and let people know that, yes, there are private practices who still offer partnership. Our pp is very large and has had the same contract for all radoncs for years. Our new hires sign the same contract I did and will have the same parternship opportunities. We will NOT take advantage of young grads simply because the market for jobs is tight. We want our new physicians to have the same incentive we do in order to build and maintain a great practice. In my opinion, that's what any good practice would do.

This is not at all consistent with what recent graduates I know have been offered, and certainly not consistent with MGMA data, even for the bottom end. Yes, there may be a few employers trying to fill satellite centers with desperate candidates on the cheap, but I don't think it's the norm. Unless I'm missing something major, it seems solid, non-desperate 3A candidates are getting similar starting offers across the board well north of that. There will always be exploitative employers and we should not welcome the creation or perception of a new normal based off of a few lousy job or "fellowship" ads.

I agree that saying the only jobs out there are in the middle of nowhere $250,000 fake academic jobs (for what it’s worth don’t forget that academic benefits are generally very generous relative to PP) is a stretch but this thread was meant to “warn” medical students who will be looking for jobs literally 7-10 years from now.

I think many of us are waiting to see how/if this issue is addressed at the annual ASTRO meeting this year. If after all of this objective and subjective information pointing to an oversupply of residents and deteriorating job market is not seriously or even superficially addressed then I would definitely advise medical students that we have no leaders in this field and that 7-10 years from now it will be a disaster. I love my job and still think this is the best field in medicine but we need some serious and strong leaders to make some tough decisions.

I agree that saying the only jobs out there are in the middle of nowhere $250,000 fake academic jobs (for what it’s worth don’t forget that academic benefits are generally very generous relative to PP) is a stretch but this thread was meant to “warn” medical students who will be looking for jobs literally 7-10 years from now.

I think many of us are waiting to see how/if this issue is addressed at the annual ASTRO meeting this year. If after all of this objective and subjective information pointing to an oversupply of residents and deteriorating job market is not seriously or even superficially addressed then I would definitely advise medical students that we have no leaders in this field and that 7-10 years from now it will be a disaster. I love my job and still think this is the best field in medicine but we need some serious and strong leaders to make some tough decisions.

I did not attend the resident meetings this year, but I was told that there were a few questions about the job market and increasing numbers of residents and the response was basically that they were aware of the problem but either not interested in or not willing to address how to correct it. There is vague talk about "antitrust" law thrown out seemingly for the purposes of stifling discussion, but I am dubious that there is any actual legal basis that prevents having a discussion. I agree that the field can change drastically in a 5 year timeframe and agree with the message to current students that this field has a stability problem. Regarding your comment about the discussion at ASTRO, I feel the pervasive themes will continue to be hypofractionation and treatment de-escalation, not protection of a stable private practice job market for current residents not interested in academic careers. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad to hear you found a decent job and have a decent life outside of work.

I personally regret my decision as I could have seen myself in other specialities. I think it's important for the medical students following this thread that despite what some posters are writing, this is not a philosophical discussion about moral obligations towards society, including which society. It is isn't anyone else's place to criticize people's personal preferences for lifestyle. All it is simply is a thread about the geographic restrictions in our current job market, which is very real. If "our leaders" do nothing, in 5-6 years the market will not fix itself, but will rather get worse.

If a medical student reading this truly believes they are a "3A" candidate and has ability to network their way into a morally appropriate practice (including discovering the hidden jobs) in a decent location, then they should apply. Or, if they truly don't care where they end up, as long as they are doing radiation oncology, then they should apply. For everyone else, as adults, it is part of our responsibility to ourselves to decide what kind of life we want for ourselves and how the best way to achieve that life is. Realizing that being in this field is not worth sacrificing your personal life is not immature, ungrateful, nor does it make you an undesirable turtle. It actually makes you a responsible adult human being who is thoughtful and has foresight. For people who can see themselves in another field, then they might consider whether that other field might provide the life they expect for themselves relative to this field. That way, in 5-6 years the people graduating, will be the ones who won't mind going to rural places so long as it is radiation oncology.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad to hear you found a decent job and have a decent life outside of work.

I personally regret my decision as I could have seen myself in other specialities. I think it's important for the medical students following this thread that despite what some posters are writing, this is not a philosophical discussion about moral obligations towards society, including which society. It is isn't anyone else's place to criticize people's personal preferences for lifestyle. All it is simply is a thread about the geographic restrictions in our current job market, which is very real. If "our leaders" do nothing, in 5-6 years the market will not fix itself, but will rather get worse.

If a medical student reading this truly believes they are a "3A" candidate and has ability to network their way into a morally appropriate practice (including discovering the hidden jobs) in a decent location, then they should apply. Or, if they truly don't care where they end up, as long as they are doing radiation oncology, then they should apply. For everyone else, as adults, it is part of our responsibility to ourselves to decide what kind of life we want for ourselves and how the best way to achieve that life is. Realizing that being in this field is not worth sacrificing your personal life is not immature, ungrateful, nor does it make you an undesirable turtle. It actually makes you a responsible adult human being who is thoughtful and has foresight. For people who can see themselves in another field, then they might consider whether that other field might provide the life they expect for themselves relative to this field. That way, in 5-6 years the people graduating, will be the ones who won't mind going to rural places so long as it is radiation oncology.

Agreed. It’s laughable when excellent candidates suddenly have to “three As” when the recruiter email for competitive locations just rolls in for gen surg or IM grads.

FWIW- the 3As (or at least the Affability A) have always been more important for Radiation Oncology than IM, since the radiation oncologist needs to have emotional intelligence (I just needed to throw that in based on the last thread) to get referrals, often way 'downstream' from other providers. I am less familiar with general surgery to know how hard they have to work for referrals. "Availability" of course applies to all specialties and "Ability" might be hard to gauge (but this is where networking comes into play- contacting alumni of the same program, touting your skills, etc).

Agreed. It’s laughable when excellent candidates suddenly have to “three As” when the recruiter email for competitive locations just rolls in for gen surg or IM grads.

The growth of "academic" satellites is a huge problem. The UNC story above is truly terrible. These institutions should be ashamed of themselves, offering such predatory work arrangements. This is happening all over the country. Certain institutions already keep a good amount of their own residents as fellows and eat their young.

Serious question: is there any fellowships in other fields that may take a rad onc resident besides neuro onc? I've seen some fellowships which say they take a rad onc trained resident. As far as I know there is no way to do IR from rad onc? I also know you can do a palliative care fellowship and maybe do some palliative care on the side.

The growth of "academic" satellites is a huge problem. The UNC story above is truly terrible. These institutions should be ashamed of themselves, offering such predatory work arrangements. This is happening all over the country. Certain institutions already keep a good amount of their own residents as fellows and eat their young.

Serious question: is there any fellowships in other fields that may take a rad onc resident besides neuro onc? I've seen some fellowships which say they take a rad onc trained resident. As far as I know there is no way to do IR from rad onc? I also know you can do a palliative care fellowship and maybe do some palliative care on the side.

IR training request passage of diagnostic radiology boards I believe

You've hit on the main problem, I believe. With radiation oncology training and nothing else, without a radonc job you're essentially useless. I feel very strongly that programs should start to offer a two-year "clinical oncology" fellowship for radoncs who want to give chemotherapy/immunotherapy/targeted therapy for solid tumors. Neurologists can do it, gynecologists can do it, and we have more solid tumor training than either specialty. Radiation oncologists deliver systemic therapy all around the world, from Canada to Germany, with no problems whatsoever.

Some of us don't ever want to deliver systemic therapy, and that's fine. But for graduating residents with no job prospects, which looks like it's going to happen in the next few years, they have to have something to do. ASCO continues to claim there will be a shortage of medical oncologists in the near future, and it's clear we will have a surplus of trained radiation oncologists. The answer seems obvious to me.

Reactions: 6 users
I couldnt be in more agreement.
I was under the impression that at one time graduates from the NCI program could give chemo.

The field has not done a good job at expanding the spectrum of our practice to things that are related for those looking to increase their skills. Other specialties have caught onto this. For example PMR, psych, neuro, anesthesia, IM can do pain fellowships. Psych, IM, neuro can do sleep medicine. Fam Med can train to do vasectomies, colonoscopies, baby deliveries and tubal ligations. Why shouldn't rad oncs have the option to have training and learn to do biopsies, receive training (if you want) and give systemic therapy, etc etc (maybe the Gyn onc trials will actually make sense!). Others far more experienced than me can surely list a lot more things we could be involved in. Not everyone has to do it but graduates facing a terrible job market in the future should have the option to receive more training and use what we already know. If we can't find a job our options are to walk away from medicine and go into consulting or some business, re-do another residency (terrible option for most). There's no leadership on this stuff. The "leadership" is too busy pushing protons, some are already talking carbon.

The field has not done a good job at expanding the spectrum of our practice to things that are related for those looking to increase their skills. Other specialties have caught onto this. For example PMR, psych, neuro, anesthesia, IM can do pain fellowships. Psych, IM, neuro can do sleep medicine. Fam Med can train to do vasectomies, colonoscopies, baby deliveries and tubal ligations. Why shouldn't rad oncs have the option to have training and learn to do biopsies, receive training (if you want) and give systemic therapy, etc etc (maybe the Gyn onc trials will actually make sense!). Others far more experienced than me can surely list a lot more things we could be involved in. Not everyone has to do it but graduates facing a terrible job market in the future should have the option to receive more training and use what we already know. If we can't find a job our options are to walk away from medicine and go into consulting or some business, re-do another residency (terrible option for most). There's no leadership on this stuff. The "leadership" is too busy pushing protons, some are already talking carbon.

Biopsies are some of the more liability heavy and complication prone procedures performed by IRs. It’s not necessarily something every field want or every field even should practice.

Biopsies are some of the more liability heavy and complication prone procedures performed by IRs. It’s not necessarily something every field want or every field even should practice.

I could see that. If you biopsy, have a bad complication, and ends up benign a lawyer could smell the blood in the water.

But you don't need to be in IR to do some of the more common biopsy procedures, like prostate or skin.

You've hit on the main problem, I believe. With radiation oncology training and nothing else, without a radonc job you're essentially useless. I feel very strongly that programs should start to offer a two-year "clinical oncology" fellowship for radoncs who want to give chemotherapy/immunotherapy/targeted therapy for solid tumors. Neurologists can do it, gynecologists can do it, and we have more solid tumor training than either specialty. Radiation oncologists deliver systemic therapy all around the world, from Canada to Germany, with no problems whatsoever.

Some of us don't ever want to deliver systemic therapy, and that's fine. But for graduating residents with no job prospects, which looks like it's going to happen in the next few years, they have to have something to do. ASCO continues to claim there will be a shortage of medical oncologists in the near future, and it's clear we will have a surplus of trained radiation oncologists. The answer seems obvious to me.
It would be useful to do a fellowship in something that adds skills. Clinical Oncology vs. a fellowship in IMRT, palliative radiation, or SBRT.

It would be useful to do a fellowship in something that adds skills. Clinical Oncology vs. a fellowship in IMRT, palliative radiation, or SBRT.
That's exactly what I was thinking. IMRT/palliation/SBRT fellowships should not exist, full stop. I'd much rather learn how to give systemic agents for solid tumors than be a scut monkey for a morally bankrupt radonc department.

That's exactly what I was thinking. IMRT/palliation/SBRT fellowships should not exist, full stop. I'd much rather learn how to give systemic agents for solid tumors than be a scut monkey for a morally bankrupt radonc department.
With the way protons are going, you can add proton therapy to that list (outside of peds/CNS/re-treatment).

I'm actually astonished that rad onc doesn't create fellowships that will allow interested rad oncs to give systemic chemotherapy and immunotherapy, expanding these skills will actually help the job market. I'd rather have rad onc see more medical oncology patients than those patients being seen by NPs. The administration would rather give NPs more autonomy than their own doctor trainees due to the economical benefits of such a system. NPs and PAs are getting churned out with less and less training and online degrees including online doctorates while getting more and more autonony while physician leaders increase the length of training for their trainees in name of patient care. It's complete BS.

Become the leaders in radiation/systemic therapy and push your boards to do what's in the best interest of their trainees instead of them trying to maximize $$ for their departments at the expense of their trainees. The leaders have essentially destroyed the future of their own field as a result.

Residents are vulnerable population so it's really up to the new graduates who have finished their training to create a separate advocacy organization to push ASTRO leaders to make the right decision. Hold your leaders accountable for the terrible decisions they're making. There is no excuse for it.

Even if one really wants, it's not possible currently to for a RO to obtain privileges to oversee infusional chemo in most U.S. jurisdictions.

It is very helpful for medical students and other radiation oncologists to hear 'real" job search experiences, not the propaganda that ASTRO spouts. I am really curious if ASTRO will address the issue in San Antonio in a major forum or will they role out their usual fluff like "translating science and technology into cancer....."

Anyone interested in taking a bet that the ASTRO annual meeting will not address this gigantic elephant in the room of our field (over-supply) in any meaningful way? I predict they'll propose another useless survey/study in an attempt to give the impression that they care at all. In fact, its clearly in their BEST INTEREST for the over-supply to persist. As has been stated by many on this thread, academic programs (ie ASTRO leaders and their administrators) reap significant financial benefits from the situation. I personally don't know of any way that we, as practicing community rad-oncs, can effect reductions (or at least stop the expansion) in the number of new trainees. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to PM me or post here. I'd certainly be willing to try something....

FWIW- ASTRO does have community physicians in committees and leadership positions, and a handful of past presidents were in private practice. So there is opportunity to 'infiltrate' ASTRO. The obvious limitation is that for academic faculty, these positions have a direct benefit (i.e. can serve as basis for promotion, tenure, etc.) while for those in private practice it is entirely volunteer with limited direct benefit outside of the prestige that may be associated with one of the big positions (such as president).

Past Presidents - American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)

Anyone interested in taking a bet that the ASTRO annual meeting will not address this gigantic elephant in the room of our field (over-supply) in any meaningful way? I predict they'll propose another useless survey/study in an attempt to give the impression that they care at all. In fact, its clearly in their BEST INTEREST for the over-supply to persist. As has been stated by many on this thread, academic programs (ie ASTRO leaders and their administrators) reap significant financial benefits from the situation. I personally don't know of any way that we, as practicing community rad-oncs, can effect reductions (or at least stop the expansion) in the number of new trainees. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to PM me or post here. I'd certainly be willing to try something....

Perhaps a direct mail campaign to current residents and recent graduates? If enough people speak up, write letters, etc, then the topic would be more likely to be discussed. Someone just needs to organize it.

You guys need to create a new organization and really rally members together to go against ASTRO for failing you guys. Get it publicized everywhere how your leadership failed you and the field (do it professional obviously). You certainly will have a lot of backing. Send petition letters to every chairman and program director, board members of ASTRO, current and past president. Ideally, have a combo of recent graduates and established individuals be on the board (residents are a vulnerable population so they can be behind the scenes). Getting current leadership to discuss this topic and offer some legitimate solutions in itself would be a victory.

This is what we did in medicine to fight ABIMs corrupt ways (they were money hungry making us take thousands of dollars of MOCs and unneccessary exams just to remain certified), several physicians joined together to create an entirely separate board certification organization to bypass ABIM.

NBPAS responds to ABIM announcement on 2-3-2015 |

Last edited:
so did the alternative system work out? pretty interesting (not pertinent to the RadOnc problem though).

I think the easiest way to stop expansion would be for current residents to stop logging more than the minimum number of cases. My understanding of the expansion process is that ACGME is not going to give a program more resident spots if they don't see enough volume available. That of course won't stop entirely new programs from popping up.

Where I trained we were under pressure from the program director to log well more than 450 cases. Our logs were reviewed and any gaps or unexpectedly low numbers were scrutinized. They program does plan to further expand. When I pointed out the issues brought up in this thread, the response was simply that other programs should not be expanding or opening. My co-residents were not interested in contesting the faculty on this (or really any) issue, as it was felt that being a cooperative resident was of key importance to getting a job post-graduation.

Reactions: 2 users
Where I trained we were under pressure from the program director to log well more than 450 cases. Our logs were reviewed and any gaps or unexpectedly low numbers were scrutinized. They program does plan to further expand. When I pointed out the issues brought up in this thread, the response was simply that other programs should not be expanding or opening. My co-residents were not interested in contesting the faculty on this (or really any) issue, as it was felt that being a cooperative resident was of key importance to getting a job post-graduation.

Numerous programs currently have intentions to expand -- from well known ones on the coast to smaller Midwestern ones. I have heard of expansions of double in size, from 4 residents to 10, etc. Satellite locations are often used to justify case load. This problem is only going to get way worse. Will we be looking at 300 grads a year in 10 years? What then?

Numerous programs currently have intentions to expand -- from well known ones on the coast to smaller Midwestern ones. I have heard of expansions of double in size, from 4 residents to 10, etc. Satellite locations are often used to justify case load. This problem is only going to get way worse. Will we be looking at 300 grads a year in 10 years? What then?
Go read the path forums if you want to know...

And this is the issue. Everyone is acting in the interest of themselves rather than the interest of the field. Faculty want to expand residency programs so they can cover all main campus attendings, cover satellites etc. and make their jobs seem more attractive or to make their program seem more prestigious. It is easy to blame them for the problem but at a certain point I think we (residents) have to accept that if we are not going to make self sacrifices to fix the issue, we are also part of the problem.

Not logging excess cases is to my knowledge, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, an actual way to stop residency programs from increasing the number of spots. I understand it is not an easy solution. It would probably involve sacrificing research time, elective time, increased pressures for double/triple coverage etc. It would not be in the best interest of the individual, and that is probably why it won't ever happen. Ideally it wouldn't be the residents that have to stand up for our field but that is the way it is. I think it is pretty clear that the higher ups are not going to fix this issue and I can't imagine that with the publications, surveys, ASTRO sessions etc. they are oblivious to the problem.

Not logging excess cases is to my knowledge, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, an actual way to stop residency programs from increasing the number of spots. I understand it is not an easy solution. It would probably involve sacrificing research time, elective time, increased pressures for double/triple coverage etc. It would not be in the best interest of the individual, and that is probably why it won't ever happen. Ideally it wouldn't be the residents that have to stand up for our field but that is the way it is. I think it is pretty clear that the higher ups are not going to fix this issue and I can't imagine that with the publications, surveys, ASTRO sessions etc. they are oblivious to the problem.
Fwiw, my program never knew my login for my account, so not sure how these programs are checking these things weekly or whenever

Ideally it wouldn't be the residents that have to stand up for our field but that is the way it is. I think it is pretty clear that the higher ups are not going to fix this issue and I can't imagine that with the publications, surveys, ASTRO sessions etc. they are oblivious to the problem.

They are aware. They have said repeatedly in multiple forums that they don't care. There is a hunger games-eqsue battle for power/money/talent/whatever going on between academics vs. private practice / urban vs. rural. Ultimately the academicians are the gatekeepers. Residents jump through so many hoops to get into the field, lie through their teeth about their true ambitions (as if "only wanting to treat patients" is something to be ashamed of), and you think that these kind of people will change during residency and be willing to speak the truth and risk retribution? There is a certain amount of reasonable self preservation but also a certain amount of selfish selling out amongst residents to try and land cushy jobs through pull. I am opposed to program expansion. I am not afraid to say so openly in clinic and in meetings. It's my opinion. If that means I hurt somebody's feelings and don't get a great reference so be it. I'd personally rather be honest with myself at the end of the day than lie openly.

Also, I think the concept of not logging excess cases is B.S. A program can legitimately require that you log all of your cases. In my opinion you open yourself up to professionalism issues by falsifying your log by omitting cases. This is a passive-aggressive and ineffective way of addressing the problem.

Thank you for your advice. I also never thought about spicing my life up by eating cake, but now I will go eat cake for breakfast. You seem to think interior decorating and cooking classes can somehow make up for not being in a metropolitan area, but read on and I will address your "points."

Yes, I do have issues with my personal life. There is none outside of work. You are also making the assumption that I was equally unhappy when I lived in larger areas. I was not. I had a personal life. I had things to do outside of work, and friends outside of work.

I think you missed the part where I said the area has a high rate of turnover for even married individuals (who supposedly have something to come forward to, like a spouse and kids). They also get depressed and leave. The first thing my very first patient said to me was not "hi", it was "You're never staying here." It is extremely hard for people who have not lived in towns like this to understand the dearth of available "entertainment" and what metropolitan areas take for granted (whether you think that's superficial or not is a whole different debate). For example, we have one movie theater that is 30 min from where I live.

There are no cooking classes in my town. I actually checked. Don't worry- I bought a vitamix. Now I make smoothies. There are no interior decorators in my town. There are 3 furnitiure stores in town- like Quality Furniture. I have driven 1.5 hrs to better furniture stores and they won't deliver to me. While some companies online are happy to drop off furniture in front of my apartment (which actually can get stolen), I have not yet a found a company that is willing to deliver furniture for me on the weekends because I'm outside their weekend delivering areas, meaning I would have to use PTO to accept a furniture delivery. I would rather use PTO to go out of town.

I took a water color class- the average age of the person there was 72, mostly in their 80s, one in her sixties, and me- a total of 6 of us.

The other point is- perhaps you are able to tolerate living in an area like this. Perhaps you fully understand what it's like to live here and can tolerate it. Perhaps you are also happy with 12 hr days. But the point is, many people can't and don't want to and they should know what it's like before they gamble with their future.

I understand that if you have not lived here as an individual in your 30s, you have zero conception of what it is like, and therefore, very easy to mock the writer (me) and assume exaggeration. None of what I wrote was an exaggeration. I did hear an unfortunate conversation and the point of the strip bar is to emphasize that there aren't exciting bars and restaurants (which is generally considered a basic aspect of a city). The 2nd closest bank to me has been robbed 3x times, the same way. It's all true. On the larger national conversation, this is exactly why the people who live in these towns feel so sore about the "coastal" towns or "metropolitan" areas because what they see on TV does not remotely correlate to their own reality. That is why they feel "behind" and are extremely unhappy (not just the doctors, the entire community, including my patients). Over and over again, this past 2 years we have heard of large swaths of poor white people who feel behind compared to the rest of the country- this is where they live! They are unhappy and they are suffering, and it's worse when someone who gets to live in a better area mocks them by telling them to take a cooking class. It's this "let them eat cake" attitude that makes people angry. People make lives for themselves everywhere, but most people if they can afford it will leave communities like this. I'm lucky because once I'm financially stable (not rich), I can leave. I realize every day that as soon as I have finances in decent shape- I can leave. My patients can never leave.

In ANY CASE, I'm not writing this to convince someone who already has a rad onc job and a life they enjoy. I clearly wrote that I made a mistake and because I would have wanted someone to forewarn me. It is extremely unfair to current applicants to have a misinformed view of the job market. Even if 70% of people (which is not the case) end up with jobs in decent places, what if you fall in the 30%? That's not good odds.

I wanted to paint a clear picture of what life in these middle of nowhere towns are. People can easily fantasize some sort of bucolic life for themselves and convince themselves that the money is worth it. That's not the case, and they should know.

Please don't be needlessly dismissive towards others, assuming they're bratty and superficial. It does not help the conversation. I don't feel just pain for myself, I feel pain for these towns, but fixing these towns is outside of my hands and was not a part of my career ambitions.

For what it's worth, historians agree Marie Antoinette never said, "Let them eat cake." But someone did write "take a cooking class" and "go redecorate.' (By the way, I'm not allowed to paint my walls. I rent.). Also, you missed the part where I said I can't spend my money on anything because there is nothing here. Believe, I've tried figuring out how to have an exciting life. Once again, I have "hobbies." However, no one, including the current applicants, want to spend days and months trying to figure out how to pass their time because the town they live in has nothing to offer. They deserve better, whether or not you think so.

You have some free time, right? PLAY VIDEO GAMES. PLAY EXTRA FOR ME, BRO, I'M M1 AND I DON'T GOT NO TIME. Especially MMORPGs. Check out Guild Wars 2. If you're console player, check out Skyrim then add on allllllllll the mods people offer and then replay Skyrim.

Thanks for posting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.