1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

future skutmonkey

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by taylor6902, Feb 20, 2007.

1. taylor6902

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I looked for previous posts on this topic but perhaps entered the wrong keywords. I begin med school in August. For those of you who have already started, what are some things that you wish you knew from the onset? I'd appreciate any advice (especially things that are often overlooked).

2. 8744

8744 Guest

Non-Student
    If I had know what it was going to be like, I would never have done it.

3. meltmyfaceoff

meltmyfaceoff Member
    7+ Year Member

if i knew i would get so much free food i would've kept an empty stomach before i started.

4. DoctorFunk

DoctorFunk Get down with the boogie
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wish I would have known how to use SDN's search function so I could find answers to my questions myself without waiting for people to repeat themselves.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Ashers

Ashers Bacteria? Don't exist.
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wait... SDN has a search function? It's just easier to repost then get everyone discussing the subject again, isn't it?

6. DoctorFunk

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, if you're not scared that uptight medical students might go flippin' nuts when they realize that their one stress release outlet in their boring existence has turned into one big internet version of Groundhog's Day.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Ashers

Attending Physician
    Med students, stressed? Surely they'd be too focused on studying and randomly posting on SDN to even notice that it's the same topics again and again.

8. turkleton

turkleton Capeless Crusader
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That the competition for your dream residency is harder than getting into med school. Seriously Panda, you wouldn't have done it ? I know you had a rough road, but you seem happy now.

9. Biscuit799

7+ Year Member

I wish I would've known everything about pathophysiology. That probably woulda helped...

10. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :laugh:

11. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I gotta admit - I have been around for a long time and never use the search function.

1. I can never find it.

2. It isn't a search function as much as a random thread generator.

12. Droopy Snoopy

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You know what would be nice, if in each forum the site made available a page or so of threads started the same day the previous year. I'll bet you any kind of money half the threads on the allo board Feb 20th 2006 are exactly the same as threads on the allo board Feb 2007. For God's sake yes you can have a pet in med school, no you don't need to start studying for Step I, no there are not ranked residency lists, you need books X and Y books for anatomy/biochem/physiology, check out www.whatever for helpful neuro diagrams, sorry bud those six DUIs might keep you from getting into medical school, etc. etc. etc.

Sorry OP rant not really directed at you personally. Your question is a valid one but has been addressed ad nauseum. I wish I would've skiied the Swiss Alps or something cool like that; there is very little you can do during the summer before medical school to prepare other than take 3 months of pure vacation.

13. chocolate-e

chocolate-e Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Make friends with people who are near you in the alphabet. "If you can't be with the one you love ..."

14. SanDiegoSOD

SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice
    7+ Year Member

Cry me a river, fellas. We all know that there might be two or three new threads a week if people didnt keep bringing up the same topic; this forum would be dead without the constant rehash. How many medically related topics can actually be talked about?

15. DoctorFunk

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    We could start by working up a differential to explain your early-onset dementia and male PMS.

I keed, I keed! ;)

16. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, you misspelled "scutmonkey."

That help...? ;)

17. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Damn. I thought I was going to be the first to catch that! Great minds think alike I guess. :p

18. ijcMD

ijcMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i love this thread.. no one acutally gives any advice.... the way SDN intended the system to work

my advice: get drunk.. get very very drunk right now

19. Northerner

Northerner Coquettish Haberdasher
    10+ Year Member

I had thought about asking the voluptuous Kimbercox or the illustrious and well-endowed Lee Burnett to install a program that would answer any Allo thread with the words "summer", "before", "medical", "school", "should", "I", "do" with the obligatory series of responses:

From the jokester: "HOLY **** YOU HAVEN'T STARTED STUDYING?! You'll never make it! Lol!"

From the moderate, reasonable, not yet jaded realist: "Do some light reading in weaker subjects, or read for leisure."

From the person who doesn't care about you or your happiness in the slightest: "Sure, take a summer course."

From the smelly hippy: "Travel."

From the frat dickhead (2 syllables per word max): "Dude, party your ass off. Dude. Party. Drinking. Get laid. Your life is over now."

From the dramatic jaded whiner: "You've got to live life to the fullest, this is the last gasp of fresh air you'll ever taste. Your last opportunity to smell a flower. Your last day to bask in the sun, or drink in any of life's pleasures. Live for me....live...."

And I was also considering asking the two aforementioned attractive individuals to have all the pre-med "______ Univ. vs. _____ SOM" threads placed in one place, somewhere convenient, so all of us know right where to find them right away. Like at the bottom of the Australia Forum. Just brainstorming.

20. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hmm...I've seen the photo of Kim, but I must say, you seem to know Lee better than the rest of us! LOL! :laugh:

21. Northerner

Northerner Coquettish Haberdasher
    10+ Year Member

Please don't be jealous, we just want to be left alone.

22. Skills of House

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No...only talk to people of the opposite sex who have the same initials as you....so you can save on monogrammed towels when you get married. :love:

23. Skialta

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Memorize Harrison's and then start working on Robbins, page after you finnish that and we will have a review session.:thumbup:

24. turkleton

turkleton Capeless Crusader
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student

:thumbup: Can we make this the permanant response to all pre med questions? Irrespective of the question?

25. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Here's the first piece of advice: If you know that you can find the answer on your own (but are kind of too lazy to look), then don't ask the question in a public space. When you're a med student, asking questions during lecture, about topics that you could research on your own, will earn you the nickname of "that person who asks annoying and pointless questions that just prolong the lecture." Learn this lesson well now, here on SDN, and don't do it in class. Your classmates can thank me later.

If you know what school you'll be going to, find their threads on the "class threads" subforum under allopathic. They'll probably be more useful than us.

26. Bitsy3221

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    OK, I think everyone has tormented you enough for asking such a vague question in the allopathic forum. :)

To try and offer you some honest advice, I think you should just go through the archives of the Medical Student Forums and read them. Things that current medical students didn't know that they wish they had are often posted on these forums. The biggies tend to show up multiple times, so you can gauge their importance this way.

Honestly, there is nothing that will happen on this website (or anywhere else) that will prepare you significantly for med school, and we all know that--that is why you got the responses you did. Bookmark this page and go back and read your question when you are getting ready for the match--you'll understand. You are going to work hard. You are still going to have time to sleep/eat/go out. You will learn a lot. You will forget A LOT. You will laugh. You will cry. You will graduate.

Good luck.

27. OP
    OP
    taylor6902

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    well it looks as though a lot of my peers are/will be tools:thumbdown:

28. DoctorFunk

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Says the guy who expects them to be his own personal Google.

29. PenguinHead

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    C'mon. The guy's made two posts. Not everyone knows all the intricacies of SDN as well as those of you who have posted 1000's of times.

Relax a little..

30. Ashers

Attending Physician
    As soon as you have posted 1000s of times, you too will see why it's slightly aggravating to re-read the same threads.

Deja vu... there's a glitch in the matrix.

31. DoctorFunk

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, he's made two posts and in his second post he accused all of his future colleagues (and the posters on Allo) of being tools. Forgive me if I don't give him a nice pat on the head and put a cute little sticker on his chest for being the "Most SMRTest Person on the Internets" just yet. :rolleyes:

32. PenguinHead

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Been on SDN on and off for over a year just with diff names. I see the same stuff over and over. I can still understand why newbies ask. I'm just sayin'... some people seem a little uptight.

33. PenguinHead

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    To someone who comes in and asks a simple question and gets blasted for it, yeah, people here probably seem like a bunch of tools.

Not that that it wasn't a stupid thing to say.

And every forum everywhere has topics that cycle.

34. DoctorFunk

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your compassion is enviable. Therefore, I hereby nominate you to be the illustrious guide of taylor6902 as he finds his way around SDN. You can help him learn how to properly use a keyboard, then move on to navigating the internet via a "web browser." Next you can teach him what a search engine is, and how search functions can be added to websites that allow people with similar interests to communicate with each other called "message boards." Heck, maybe you can just follow him to medical school and offer him sage advice as he learns the ropes. Everyone needs a personal advisor, right?

Oh, wait, they don't. Mostly because we're not asking this guy to reinvent the wheel. We're just asking him to use common sense and one of the most basic and criminally underutilized message board features.

35. PenguinHead

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Case in point

36. DoctorFunk

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm just saying that we shouldn't exaggerate the response this dude got. At least he avoided the tried and true SDN responses of: you'll never make it in medicine if ____ or I hope you're never my doctor because you can't ____.

I thought we took it pretty easy on him.

37. PenguinHead

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Agreed, it was a "milder" lashing

38. DoctorFunk

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    See, I knew we could be friendly about this. (But only because I know you can use the search function. ;) )

39. surrender903

Physician Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :sleep:

40. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yep, they will be if they aren't already. Welcome to the field of medicine.;)