Future surgeon

futuresurgeon101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, i want to become a surgeon. i'm just a junior in high school. i'm currently debating between pediatric and cardiac surgeon. i know its too early, but i like to have what i want to do planned out.. dont want to be those kids not knowing what they want to major in and what they want to for a career.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm just a junior in high school. i'm currently debating between pediatric and cardiac surgeon.

I almost started laughing, but then realized it's a 4/10 troll. Probably because there isn't actually a question here.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not a troll... and i dont want to get banned.

i just need advice. so, i live in nyc and im planning on going to a CUNY so i have as little debt in med school.

im also volunteering at a hospital aslo.

Come talk to us in 7 years once you have a board score.

Odds are you'll never get a board score

Reactions: 8 users
i'm not a troll... and i dont want to get banned.

i just need advice. so, i live in nyc and im planning on going to a CUNY so i have as little debt in med school.

im also volunteering at a hospital aslo.

You have to ask questions to get advice.

1) Get into college first
2) Get into med school before thinking about a specialty
3) From Albany to Yale, John A Burns in Hawaii to Harvard, DO or MD, only about 5% of medical school graduates go into General Surgery, and even less for the more specialize subdisciplines.

so, i want to become a surgeon. i'm just a junior in high school. i'm currently debating between pediatric and cardiac surgeon. i know its too early, but i like to have what i want to do planned out.. dont want to be those kids not knowing what they want to major in and what they want to for a career.

Reactions: 5 users
@Hospitalized ok, ill be asking questions and not writing statements.
@Goro and seriously? those stats scare me.. so you're saying not every med school graduate who wants to become a surgeon will not be one?

Aw man, why is everyone being a dick? I think most of us had a similar naive mindset when we were younger.

Just take it one step at a time bud, it's a very long process. You have to go to college first, then worry about what you can do to make it into medical school. Who knows, once you figure out how much work and time it actually takes to become a surgeon you might end up changing your mind. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

3) From Albany to Yale, John A Burns in Hawaii to Harvard, DO or MD, only about 5% of medical school graduates go into General Surgery, and even less for the more specialize subdisciplines.

Very simplified, dumb-down math...
Getting into a college in the US is almost 100%
Getting into a US MD school? about 40%. Odds of getting into at least a US MD or DO school? probably close to 60% assuming you're an average applicant
Becoming a surgeon? Like Goro said, around 5%, assuming everyone wants to go into surgery...
60% x 5% = 3%
Odds below 3% since less DOs go into surgical residencies

I suggest getting into med school first, OP... :cigar:
Banner-Med-School-for-Dummies.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro and seriously? those stats scare me.. so you're saying not every med school graduate who wants to become a surgeon will not be one?

Getting into medical school is difficult, getting a surgery residency is even more difficult, getting into a sub specalized surgery residency is once again more difficult. Picking a specialty while your in high school is pointless. First figure out what college is best for you. When you are in college its a good time to explore if medicine is right for you. When your in medical school (3rd and 4th year) is the right time to decide what specialty your interested in. Even as a current first year medical student I don't know what specialty I want. I have interests (NMM,FP,PYSCH) however this isn't really something that you decide until MEDICAL SCHOOL. Chances are you won't be a cardiac surgeon. Its best not to focus on that right now and focus on the journey not the destination.

@Meeehai thanks, but i'm serious about becoming a surgeon and i know how long it takes. i will be dedicated and im not that young, college in 2 more years, which isnt a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)

Assuming you aren't a troll, there are two things of note. The first is presentation. Adcoms, of course, can cut through all the fluff but they have to know that you can try to appear to be presentable. Your first post lacks capitalization and a verb which is why everyone assumes you lack the intelligence and the maturity to even be a physician. While people say that you only need to believe in yourself, that's unfortunately not the reality of the world. You need to be able to make other people think you can do it and that's especially important for the patients. Work on it.

The second is that you're part of SDN! That's a very good first step. It is arguably the most useful tool available to a premed. It's a long journey ahead, worry about one step at a time. Don't build the top of the building first without a foundation.

To answer some of the implicit questions in your post, your major doesn't matter in college for medical school as long as you take the required classes with the exception being underwater basket-weaving. I'm just a fellow lowly premed so take everything I say with a grain of salt but I swore I remember reading that cardiothoracic surgeons was one of the most competitive subspecialty to get into. I go to a fairly decent college (top 50) and I'll tell you now that about 25% of people who say their premed freshman year go to medical school and about only 40% actually apply for medical school. Other advice I would give would be to take the MCAT once and seriously. If you don't think you're ready to apply, defer a year. Medicine is an adventure. Like those above me have stated, it's the journey not the destination. Also, never ever go Carribean. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
When I was a junior in high school, I was contemplating between becoming a president and an undercover spy. I spent hours looking at how to achieve those careers and the benefits of both of them. We were all naive in high school and it is perfectly reasonable to have this question.

You do not get an undergraduate degree in pediatric or cardiac surgery (at least in North America) so that it doesn't matter if you aren't sure yet. It is a good idea to start making plans for your career though. However, whatever plans you make will likely be drastically changed as you go through university. Once you get to medical school and explore different specialties you may not be interested in cardiac surgery at all.

Focus more on deciding which program and university to go to for undergrad.

Last edited:
High school kids these days. When I was that age, I wanted to be a reality TV star. I couldn't achieve my dreams, so I ended up in medicine.

Reactions: 5 users
Next you're going to tell us you want to go to Princeton Medical school because you want an Ivy League.. Look kid (and yes a junior in HS is still a kid) live a little and take everything one step at a time. There is nothing wrong in wanting to be a doctor, but trust me you aren't the only kid in HS who wants or thinks they will be the next Dr. House. And like it was mentioned above your chances are very small (3%) at this point, they get bigger the more hoops you jump through but there are a ton of hoops for you at this point.

And yes the numbers Goro stated are true. To answer your question no not everyone who graduated medical school wanting to he a surgeon becomes one, very few in fact.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, not every one who applies gets in. More importantly, most people who start medical school with goals of becoming end up applying to surgical fields due to the poor lifestyle and harsh residencies.

OP, I feel you. I really do. I had my career path planned out for myself starting when I was 16 and so far I'm following through on it. However, this doesn't mean anything because 1) I have a long way to go and 2) whatever I end up doing will likely have 0 impact on what you end up doing. Let me offer you a bit of advice:

1. You likely have no idea what it means to be a surgeon. I doubt you know what pediatric surgeons do on a daily basis or what cardiac surgeons do. Without knowing what these careers entail, you cannot possibly be informed enough to have your future planned out.
  2. It's great that you want to become a surgeon, but pay heed to what other members have said: it's a tough, long, and competitive path. Assuming you get into college, pass all your prereqs with high grades, score well on the MCAT, and get to the point where you actually submit your medical school application, you have about a 43% chance of being accepted to medical school (and that's a lot of assumptions). It's probably in reality a quarter of that or less at this stage. Focus on what's in front of you right now. First focus on getting into a decent college. Then figure out what you want to study (you can study literally anything and go to medical school) and take the premed prereqs (about 10-12 classes). After you've done that, come back and we'll talk more.
  3. Not knowing what you want to do for a career doesn't mean you're in a bad place. There are so many other careers out there that might make you happy. Not everyone (or even most people) would be happy being a doctor. You'll have to explore the career path during college to see if it's really for you.

~15,100 US MD students match each year.

(2014 Data from Charting Outcomes, NRMP)
871 matched into General Surgery
188 matched into Neurosurgery
648 matched into Orthopedic Surgery
277 matched into ENT
126 matched into Plastic Surgery
33 matched into Vascular Surgery
add ~200 for Urology (lowball estimate, 300 spots total)
add ~300 for Ophthalmology (lowball estimate, 450+ spots total)

~2643 applicants matched into a surgical field. That's around 17.5% of all physicians. Is it competitive? Yes. But it's not unobtainable. However, it's true that surgical fields are far and away the hardest to match into overall (except for General Surgery).

Yes, not everyone who wants to be a surgeon will become one. However, most people also don't want to become surgeons.

@Meeehai thanks, but i'm serious about becoming a surgeon and i know how long it takes. i will be dedicated and im not that young, college in 2 more years, which isnt a lot.

You are a junior in high school. You are young. I started medical school at 21. If I go into the field I am interested in, I will not be an independently practicing surgeon until I am 34 or 35 years old. That's more than twice your current age. You are very very young. That does not mean you cannot explore the field, but do not mistake the fact that there is an extremely long way to go and many hurdles to overcome.

Moving to hSDN as OP is in high school.

I'm going to second GiantPanda1 here; presentation is important. High school junior, that's definitely old enough to have figured out how to capitalize the first word of every sentence and the word "I." 'Attention to detail' is a phrase you may find yourself wanting to use in the future, so it might be a good idea to start paying attention to the details.

As you may have picked up from other responses, you are getting (more than) a little ahead of yourself. At this point in the game, this is not preparedness, and it may even be limiting in the long run. You have at the very least 6-8 years before you need to be thinking about a specialty. Be open to things. You may shadow a cardiac surgeon and decide that watching a living heart squirm in someone's open chest cavity is actually something you never really want to do again. If you love it, fantastic! But if you don't, and you have confined yourself into a narrow range of options which fulfill your definition of 'success' without ever stopping to consider the incredible variety of specialties and finding out what those docs actually do all day... If becoming a surgeon works out, you might hate it, and if it doesn't, you might beat yourself up about being 'unsuccessful' for a good long time. What I'm trying to say is, don't let your focus become tunnel vision.

Guys, thank you for the info! I'm really interested in the medical field, not for the money, but I have love for science. I do want to be a surgeon though. I want to get hands on and not write prescriptions like a regular physician

Guys, thank you for the info! I'm really interested in the medical field, not for the money, but I have love for science. I do want to be a surgeon though. I want to get hands on and not write prescriptions like a regular physician

It's great you're enthusiastic, but this post emphasizes how much you have yet to learn. You'll be prescribing plenty of medications as a surgeon.

I would also like to point out that "regular physicians" come in many varieties (i.e. specialization is not either 'surgeon' or 'those other people'), and don't just sit around and write prescriptions all day either. Find out what the work of different specialties entails--e.g. emergency med, endocrinology, otorhinolaryngology, neurology, sports med. You might be surprised. I would never have looked twice at nephrology or urology, but reading about the work made me consider them, even though (at the time) I had it in my head that I wanted to be an Ob/Gyn "because it's both medical AND surgical!"

Kudos on the improvement on the capitalization front, OP... ;)

High school kids these days. When I was that age, I wanted to be a reality TV star. I couldn't achieve my dreams, so I ended up in medicine.
When I was in high school, I was usually only concerned about if they were going to have the yummy (orange top) or gross ranch dressing cups for pizza Friday... :rofl:

I'm going to assume OP that you watch and love Grey's Anatomy and hope your life will turn out like that. Here's the thing, there are so many parts of medicine you don't even know yet, love your drive though. My advice, take your core classes first year then start science courses.

Haha, no I don't watch those Doctor/medical shows as you guys are mentioning. Like house, greys anatomy, etc. nice inferences though!

I like this thread. One of my favorites. 5/7.

While I agree that medicine is a 'science', but at your stage (e.g. HS) what you call 'science' is not what medicine will be about. During college get involved in research (perhaps something biological but it doesn't really matter) and get clinical exposure.

Guys, let's say I go to Bangladesh for Medical school and I come back to America, will I have to re do courses or they'll accept me as a doctor in the US?

Guys, let's say I go to Bangladesh for Medical school and I come back to America, will I have to re do courses or they'll accept me as a doctor in the US?

Look, I realize you're only in high school currently, but it's never too early to start thinking logically: we live in a lawsuit-happy society. Which hospital would let a purely foreign-trained surgeon operate on patients, esp if it's a cardiac or pediatric patient (specialties that you are wanting to go in)???

Judging from your posting history here, you have a lot of reading and research to do.

If you want to ever practice medicine in the US, you almost need to have graduated from an American (MD or DO) school. I think Canadian medical schools are the exception but they're competitive enough where Canadian applicants apply to American medical schools...

There are, of course, the rare exceptions. You may meet a few people who are trained not in America practicing medicine in the US but times are changing. The US is becoming more and more not friendly towards foreign grads. If you graduate from a Bangladeshian medical school, it is likely that you will either need to score very high on the USMLE Step 1 (a difficult feat within itself) and be content with being a primary care physician (nothing wrong with that but it seems to be not your kind of desired field of medicine) or go through medical school again in America.

While I agree that medicine is a 'science', but at your stage (e.g. HS) what you call 'science' is not what medicine will be about. During college get involved in research (perhaps something biological but it doesn't really matter) and get clinical exposure.
I don't even agree that medicine is a science. It certainly draws on some science as foundation, but 90% of what you do as a doctor is a people oriented service industry. You draw on your knowledge base to make good decisions, perform procedures, and use your people skills to explain courses of action, counsel people and encourage compliance. You aren't going to use anything a high school or college kid considers "science" on a day to day basis, and actual scientists with PhDs universally will need to dumb things down whenever talking to you. So do not go into medicine because it's a high paying job for people who are into science.

Also OP, as a surgeon you are absolutely going to write scripts and manage comorbidities and complications and drug reactions and all hosts of things that don't involve the OR, just like a "regular physician". Sometimes you'll get to hand the patient back to their team, but not as much as you seem to think, and certainly not in the sub specialties you've listed. These will be patients in your service and you'll manage ALL of their problems, surgical or not.

As mentioned this is not a realistic option if your goal is to practice in the US. Medical school in Bangladesh most of the time equals future uber driver in the US. Yes we all know one or two people that made the transition, but that won't be you.

I thought this forum was to help others interested becoming a doctor, but it doesn't seem like it.

Before asking for help (especially this early in your training) you can run some basic Google searches to gather some basic info. SDN will help but you gotta do some of the legwork yourself.

I decided I wanted to go through this route my senior year of high school.

Stick around, this place will become an invaluable resource and good luck on all your endeavors

Just work on getting into a college, and then your main goal would be getting into medical school.

What made you want to head into surgery? Of the surgical sub specialties, pediatriac and cardiothoracic are 2 of the more, if not most, intensive. Granted, you're only in high school, but I presume you would have some strong motivation even if you don't have many other responsibilities to think about yet.

What made you want to head into surgery? Of the surgical sub specialties, pediatriac and cardiothoracic are 2 of the more, if not most, intensive. Granted, you're only in high school, but I presume you would have some strong motivation even if you don't have many other responsibilities to think about yet.

gray's anatom-otivation

It's great you're enthusiastic, but this post emphasizes how much you have yet to learn. You'll be prescribing plenty of medications as a surgeon.

Surgeons be passin out those percocets faster than the guy on the corner

I thought this forum was to help others interested becoming a doctor, but it doesn't seem like it.
You want to be a pediatric cardiothiracic medical examiner? Lol... Dude, we are helping you. If you have a question, ask it. I'm 17 and a very active community member on here, I've learned so much just by sitting back and looking at what these forums have to offer. At that age, you don't know what you want.

I've shadowed 3 different doctors and have volunteered at a hospital. I still cannot definitively say that I will in fact become a doctor. Do I want to become one?
Absolutely. Will I become one? Well, that depends on a lot of different things. If you want to be a doctor in the UK, you go to a UK medical school. Want to become one in the United States? You go in the United States.

Want to be a medical examiner? Go get a batchelors and go through the police academy *not even sure if you have to do that.*

I'm interested in emergency medicine. However, I do not say I will become a resident of emergency medicine due to the fact that decision is another 8 years off. You have a lot to learn.