Future vet (accepted into vet school for c/o 2026) but also wants to be a PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flockofdoves

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the best place to post this but I wanted to put a feeler out there.

I am going to veterinary school in the fall. Veterinary medicine is my main passion, but there's a part of me that also wants to build a knowledge base in human medicine and potentially even practice in both of these fields. The plan I have been formulating is this: I already have all the pre-reqs for PA school (except anatomy, which I plan to take online at some point. I plan to attend veterinary school/graduate/be licensed and then practice for eight years or so. Then I'll apply (and hopefully get in) to PA school. Then I want to work relief shifts while attending PA school. Then I want to work part-time in both fields.

What do you guys think? Is this crazy?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you go into vet med if you want to do human med, or go into human med if you want to be a vet? You can certainly practice in one and then volunteer in the other.

8 years is unrealistic depending on your loan amount for vet school. I graduated with significantly less debt than originally anticipated, and it's still going to take me 16 years to pay it off. How are you going to afford PA school?

By the time you're ready to attend PA school, your prerequisites will be out of date and need to be retake.

Reactions: 3 users
If you want to go into human medicine, go into human medicine. Don’t do both. It’s a waste of your time and money.
You’ll make a similar base salary as a PA but with a quarter of the debt.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My sister just started working with her DNP and is making almost as much as I am (will probably be making more soon). She has 1/5 of the debt as I do and had 1 year less of schooling she had to do (plus 3 years less residency but I guess that was my choice to specialize)/ If you want to do human medicine do that and volunteer with animals.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to do human medicine do that and volunteer with animals.
Agree with @KCgophervet.

To be honest (and this is meant to be practical and NOT critical) ... if you're not 100% passionate and deeply dedicated about a professional career in vet med, you can always let someone else who is 100% passionate and dedicated, and who truly wants to be a veterinarian, to have the SVM seat. We need vetties! :cat:

MSTP peep here who does human med as main job ... and who also affiliates/volunteers with pets, vet med and wildlife groups. It can be done. Just saying.

Reactions: 4 users
Is there a reason you want to pursue veterinary medicine and PA? Do you have a certain goal that you have in mind that both these careers would be helpful? As others have said, tuition for vet school is not cheap and most vet students leave with a lot of debt that takes a long time to pay off. Some vet schools offer dual degree programs such as MPH (Masters in Public Health)/DVM which can be in the direction of looking at the wider human world out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I want to be able to provide medical care to both animals and people. The reason I'm going to become a veterinarian instead of an MD or DO is that I like veterinary medicine better than human medicine. I would not be happy working exclusively in the human medical field but I know based on my experience in the veterinary field so far that I would be happy if I only worked in veterinary medicine.

My plan is to do either a DVM/MPH or DVM/MPVM depending on where I end up going because one of my career goals is to work at the intersection of the health of animals and people. However, I also want to learn how to provide medical care for people too.

I am one of the few people who are fortunate enough to be in a position where I will graduate both college and vet school (and potentially PA school if I actually end up doing this) with no debt. I want to use this privilege to learn as much as I can in order to help as many animals and people as I can. I know that makes me sound very childlike and starry-eyed, but it is true.

I would like to add that this is still VERY much up in the air. It's more of an idea than a plan. No matter what I end up doing I want to work in the veterinary field when I am out of vet school as that is my main passion.
Is there a reason you want to pursue veterinary medicine and PA? Do you have a certain goal that you have in mind that both these careers would be helpful? As others have said, tuition for vet school is not cheap and most vet students leave with a lot of debt that takes a long time to pay off. Some vet schools offer dual degree programs such as MPH (Masters in Public Health)/DVM which can be in the direction of looking at the wider human world out there.

I have thoughts but can't create words, but going to try.

Why both? I can see where you might want to get into the combined public health aspect where both humans/animals are affected. Defintiely an MPH and even further school in public health would be the route to go. Honestly, not sure a DVM or PA would be needed to jump into a public health career if that is really an interest. Would save you a lot of schooling, money and years to have a direct focus.

I won't say it is impossible to come out and work 8 years in vet med and then go to PA school, of course, you certainly can. Anyone can change their mind at any time and choose a different career path. I just don't think it is going to be feasible for you to do both.

You generally aren't going to qualify for benefits if you are working two part time jobs. So no health insurance, minimal (if any) paid time off, vacation leave, sick leave will be less. No retirement plans/benefits. Short-term/long-term disability are much different for part time vs full time employees. PLIT/licenese defense fees may or may not be covered.

Do you have any idea on how relief works? It varies depending on what you are looking to do. There are some clinics that will add in the relief vets as w-2 based employees, but these are not near as common. Basically being a relief vet is like creating your own independent business and you are the business owner. You often will want to develop an LLC, hire a tax person and need to be prepared for the income tax differences (you have to pay both the employer and employee portions of income tax, in general). It likely wouldn't be of much benefit if you are planning on doing very intermittent DVM shifts while attending PA school.

Plus these are two completely different careers. I mean, you don't just go to vet school and bam, done, no further learning needed. There are consistent new medications, products, scientific developments, etc. Are you going to keep up CE and license fees while attending PA schoool? I mean you will have to if doing relief work while attending PA school. Are you prepared to pay for all of the career fees of a DVM while doing minimal if any veterianry work? Don't forget professional liability insurnace and license defense and these will not be covered as a relief vet by any clinic you relief at. If you are not prepeared to financially and time commitment wise keep up on licenses and CE, are you aware of what would be needed to reinstate a veterinary state license after a period of not practicing and not keeping up on CE? I am sure this varies by state. Do you have a back-up for paying for PA school that is not veterinary relief work?

Then you have any professional fees/dues associated with being a PA. I am not sure if they also have CE requirements or not, I would think they do. So you will now have two careers in which you have to upkeep, licenses, different types of CE, professional fees/dues (AVMA, PA groups, state vet groups/PA groups, etc, etc).

Not to mention that the first few years of any medical career is a giant learning curve and significant career growth and development. At 8 years of vet med, you are likely going to be comfortable with most things, probably be fairly grounded at this point, you will still have some things that you need to look up/investigate further, but you are going to be at a point in your career where things are really finally starting to settle in and feel more comfortable and then you are going to ditch it all to go do an entirely different career (of which you might need to repeat undergrad for) and effectively start over. Excpet if you are doing PA only part-time initially you are going to have a much longer time-frame to really settle into the career. Not to mention when you get back to vet med, you will have another learning curve again (albeit it will hopefully be less intense), but I can promise there will be new medicaitons/treatments by the time you'd get back.

I simply jumped to a different area of vet med a couple of years ago and holy carp did the comfort level go from fairly comfortable with the daily routine to "the heck am I doing?" rather quickly. I can tell now the learning curve is plateauing out again a bit, but I am still intensely learning new things daily. And that was just jumping to a different area of the same career field not attempting to do two entirely different careers at the same time.

I will be honest, I do not see how anyone can be a DVM and a PA on a part-time basis and actually do both at peak performance/do them both well. One or the other, or both will suffer in some way.

Reactions: 5 users
The other thing to consider is the job market for each career. Currently vet med is looking for any warm body so could probably find a part-time job fairly easily, but who knows what things will look like in 4, 8, 10, 16 or 20 years from now. It may be that in 16-20 years when you may be completing PA schools and looking to do both careers that vet med isn't struggling for people and finding part-time work might be hard.

I don't know what hiring prospects are like for PAs currently (hoping they are tapering off personally because I am so sick of mid-levels) but same thing could apply. You never know what hiring prospects might look like in 10-20 years from now.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know if this is the best place to post this but I wanted to put a feeler out there.

I am going to veterinary school in the fall. Veterinary medicine is my main passion, but there's a part of me that also wants to build a knowledge base in human medicine and potentially even practice in both of these fields. The plan I have been formulating is this: I already have all the pre-reqs for PA school (except anatomy, which I plan to take online at some point. I plan to attend veterinary school/graduate/be licensed and then practice for eight years or so. Then I'll apply (and hopefully get in) to PA school. Then I want to work relief shifts while attending PA school. Then I want to work part-time in both fields.

What do you guys think? Is this crazy?
It's really great you want to do both and can afford to do both, but you are only one person. Since you are asking for advice, I would choose vet school and go into One Heath and get a MPH. That way you are helping both people and animals. If you want to help people as well set up a foundation or charity when you are in a position to do so after graduation. Since you have the resources, empower and hire likeminded people who can help both animal and humans in One Health. You have big dreams but you aren't seeing the full picture of how you can help both. I think you will get a better idea of the path you can create once you are in vet school and about 2 years in. Best of luck.

@flockofdoves
I'm just a first-year vet student. And as such, I don't have an opinion on this. But I have heard of this, more or less. Not the same as you'd pursue a PA instead of an MD (and again, not to insinuate that PAs and MDs are the same -- but for the sake of pursuing veterinary medicine and a branch of human healthcare) -- school gave a lecture on a DVM/MD. They talked about some of the work he did. He was incredible. He worked internationally, provided medical care to humans and animals, and I believe he also taught. He died recently. I can't remember his name but we had a powerpoint presentation about him. If you'd like, I can see if I can find you more information about him and his life. If you are curious about it, I wonder if it might make sense to look up people/professors that have done both -- because they do exist, however rare, at least DVM/MDs -- and see if they can shed a little light on their lives and experiences and maybe discuss the PA component.

I mean… if your passion is vet med and you have the money for it, go for it.

A significant population of vets are sick and tired of it and want out well before 8 years into practice, so in a way it’s good you are already thinking about your exit plan.

(Somewhat jaded, somewhat realistic)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
@flockofdoves
I'm just a first-year vet student. And as such, I don't have an opinion on this. But I have heard of this, more or less. Not the same as you'd pursue a PA instead of an MD (and again, not to insinuate that PAs and MDs are the same -- but for the sake of pursuing veterinary medicine and a branch of human healthcare) -- school gave a lecture on a DVM/MD. They talked about some of the work he did. He was incredible. He worked internationally, provided medical care to humans and animals, and I believe he also taught. He died recently. I can't remember his name but we had a powerpoint presentation about him. If you'd like, I can see if I can find you more information about him and his life. If you are curious about it, I wonder if it might make sense to look up people/professors that have done both -- because they do exist, however rare, at least DVM/MDs -- and see if they can shed a little light on their lives and experiences and maybe discuss the PA component.
Please send me that!

My sister just started working with her DNP and is making almost as much as I am (will probably be making more soon). She has 1/5 of the debt as I do and had 1 year less of schooling she had to do (plus 3 years less residency but I guess that was my choice to specialize)/ If you want to do human medicine do that and volunteer with animals.
What does she do? Work as an employee ?